An amusing news in relation to KSP

jiangtiandao

I love how they already have a designated test pilot..

"If this somehow works, you're going to fly this thing!"

Anyways, more on-topic, I really think that's a screenshot of KSP, to be honest. The I-beam is the same, kerbin is visible, skybox, parts, etc. etc. Whether or not they were trying to imply it was used as THE testing software used, however, I have no idea. It could have just been filler. :D

That reminds me of a comedy skit. Check it out at 6:50. (The whole thing is funny but the relevant part starts then.)

From the website:

"We now have 2 major changes to the ThunderStruck Aircraft."

Here's the new iteration. Apparently, the changes are (1) More SAS, and (2) No I-beam in front.

If you thought the last picture was done by any other means than KSP, then... well... this one settles it. Between the SAS modules, the solar panels near the nose, the probe core, etc., etc., I can say with 100% certainty that this was modelled in everyone's favorite game. :)

ThunderStruck-mk2.png

Now, if you want to see a real rocket-plane with half a chance of working, here's the site you want. It's the (somewhat naughty) LOHAN Balloon team, and their attempts to fly a rocket-plane at 100k feet. This will be fun.

~~~

[EDIT: Apparently, there will be fundraisers soon. Why do I think that this is a miserable scam?]

Edited by UpsilonAerospace

How is there any debate whether or not that photo was from KSP or not? It's absolutely unmistakable!

The whole article is likely a scam of some kind, or some sort of pitiful attention grab.

Seriously. If you believed for a second after seeing that photo, that it wasn't a (LOUSY) KSP plane, and that these people are actually trying to do something real, you have been a fool.

I REALLY hope a mod shuts down this thread. No offense to the OP. Squad should not want to be associated with a scandalous story like this.

How is there any debate whether or not that photo was from KSP or not? It's absolutely unmistakable!

The whole article is likely a scam of some kind, or some sort of pitiful attention grab.

Seriously. If you believed for a second after seeing that photo, that it wasn't a (LOUSY) KSP plane, and that these people are actually trying to do something real, you have been a fool.

I REALLY hope a mod shuts down this thread. No offense to the OP. Squad should not want to be associated with a scandalous story like this.

In what way is Squad involved? In what way are they associated? Who here has been endorsing these guys? Why do we need to shut down the thread exactly?

I suspect they got the idea from playing KSP, and think the reason why such a plane does not exist is because no-one thought of it before. So they call the media, the media knows nothing, and it gets published.

Good luck getting a plane up to speeds of some 30,000km/hr. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypersonic_Technology_Vehicle_2#Flight_testing

Seriously. If you believed for a second after seeing that photo...that these people are actually trying to do something real, you have been a fool.

I believe that an aerospace engineer has a concept for atmospheric entry, and in support of that a schoolkid wants to drop a remote-controlled supersonic glider from a high-altitude balloon. The second is entirely reasonable. I don't think it will amount to much beyond the balloon and maybe the sounding rocket launches, orbital speeds are much harder to deal with than suborbital ones and a launch to orbit will probably be prohibitively expensive. But I see no reason to think there's any fraud going on.

And yes, they're using KSP, it's an easy way to knock up pictures of planes.

I believe that an aerospace engineer has a concept for atmospheric entry, and in support of that a schoolkid wants to drop a remote-controlled supersonic glider from a high-altitude balloon. The second is entirely reasonable. I don't think it will amount to much beyond the balloon and maybe the sounding rocket launches, orbital speeds are much harder to deal with than suborbital ones and a launch to orbit will probably be prohibitively expensive. But I see no reason to think there's any fraud going on.

And yes, they're using KSP, it's an easy way to knock up pictures of planes.

I'm pretty sure an aerospace engineer wouldn't mock up stuff using a game when they have access to things that are more practical than KSP in pretty much all terms.

Also, you can export 3D models you made parametrically and render then in a 3D modeler or something, which is also more practical than KSP for mockups and can give you better visual results.

Sounds like a scam on every possible orifice.

Amusing.

Yeah, that's clearly Kerbin, and clearly Kerbal parts. The bit on the front looks like a stock girder.

Anyone identified the nosecone and fuselage?

The nosecone, fuelselage, and wings are from B9, there is an I-beam sticking out of the nose, with the Remote Guidance unit behind the nose, and the AV-R8 winglets for the tail.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.