ISS: Good or Bad?

FishInferno

Is the ISS good or bad?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Is the ISS good or bad?

I'm for it, but I think the ISS has run its course and we have gained plenty of science and data from it, we need to start working together towards Mars, (I legit almost put duna :| ... wow) to put a station in its orbit and eventually colonize it.

I'm for it, but I think the ISS has run its course and we have gained plenty of science and data from it, we need to start working together towards Mars, (I legit almost put duna :| ... wow) to put a station in its orbit and eventually colonize it.

Agreed. I think there may still be some useful experiments that will come out of it, but ISS has done its job. We now know alot about zero-g then we ever have (especially long-term effects on plants, humans, etc.)

The ISS has pretty much in my opinion run its course in terms of science capacity. It should be decommissioned, but not in the way MIR was by the Russians. Maybe a International orbital Space museum could begin to run its course. Yes the maintenance would be somewhat odd but it would be the first orbital museum. Ever.

The ISS needed to be in a lower inclination. Although Russia doesn't has a launch site for it... But at a lower inclination it could be used as a waystation for the moon. Then Mars...

Inclination makes no difference to moon transfer orbits except timing, and has minimal effect on Mars transfer.

how about building a orbital spacedock off it? and fitting it with a centrifuge to test AG?

There is no need for a spacedock. It is much easier to build stuff on the ground with minimal orbital assembly than to build things from scratch in an orbital space dock.

The whole point of the ISS is to perform experiments in microgravity. A centrifuge generates vibrations that would interfere with those experiments.

- - - Updated - - -

The ISS has pretty much in my opinion run its course in terms of science capacity. It should be decommissioned, but not in the way MIR was by the Russians. Maybe a International orbital Space museum could begin to run its course. Yes the maintenance would be somewhat odd but it would be the first orbital museum. Ever.

Running it as a museum would cost as much as maintaining its science activity.

The ISS must be deorbited when it reaches its end of life, ie: when maintenance starts to become problematic. Most of its parts have a shelf life: seals, fluids, filters, pumps, motors, lubricants, solar panels, etc... You can't just shut it down and mothball it, because without maintenance and attitude control, systems are going to fail, its structure is going to fatigue, its orbit will degrade, and it will end up breaking up into debris and becoming a hazard.

Inclination makes no difference to moon transfer orbits except timing, and has minimal effect on Mars transfer.

Minimum effect on a Mars transfer, yes. That's because of the minuscule size of a degree in length units relative to the ecliptic. A moon transfer, to have a transfer available in every orbit, needs to be below 28.5 degrees inclined.

It it would quite extremely effect the amount of time between transfers. Plus the deltaV to orbit at higher inclinations is higher, which of course you know.

No, the point of a space dock or whatever you want to call it is to get as much payload as possible to the target destination. In this case the moon. So a low inclination orbit is preferred. Although not necessarily every orbit, but that's be more for emergencies ( at least recover the bodies, right?) with regular payload delivery. However, we need more demand to send stuff to the moon first.

• 2 weeks later...

The space medicine was one of the main goals of the ISS. Treating injuries and illnesses up there. But afaik they did almost nothing on that subject - in case a crewmember would get sick the whole his or her ship's crew of three would fly home.

So there's still work to do.

Astronauts living aboard the ISS can help improve future spacecraft designs by telling us about the long-term microgravity and isolation that future explorers will endure. ISS astronauts also can instruct future ones about the finer points of orbital maneuvering and science. Future starshipwrights can study the ISS for examples of sound design and craftsmanship. These and other lessons would be invaluable once vessels were beyond easy rescue and therefore needed reliable, comfortable ways of doing mundane tasks and avoiding danger. I see no reason to stop learning now.

-Duxwing

Space medicine isn't about treating injuries and illnesses in space.

But treating injuries and illnesses is one thing that we need to know how to do if we are going to stay behind LEO for more than a week.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.