Currently In Development - Efficient Parts

boyercam

Don\'t you just want 1 fuel tank on a first stage? I did, and I set off to make the new EFFICIENT ROCKET ENGINE (Capital letters just seemed to make it sound epic.) Not completely finished yet but this is going to be a part that will completely destroy your space craft. This engine for some reason keeps getting a structural fail a bit like what I have posted here http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=10723.0

More Details will be Placed in this spoiler

...As it is updated

[move] Currently At Version 1[/move]

Version 1

Pros:

• [li]Hi fuel efficiency[/li]

Cons:

• [li]Too much thrust[/li]
    [li]Destroys Spacecraft[/li]

It even makes Jeber Scared!

Come back to this post soon to find out more about my new part

There\'s generally 3 measures of efficiency:

-Isp(Fuel Consumption/Thrust)- Higher is better, this is a measure of fuel effeciency

-Thrust:Weight- Higher is better, heavier engines usually have higher Isp, but they can\'t lift as much rocket. The stock engines have terrible Thrust:Weight. Engines have this rating, and so does the entire vehicle. A rocket with Thrust:Weight < 1 will not budge off the pad.

-And there\'s a third derived one, BurnTime- High efficiency orbital maneuvers generally assume a rocket can deliver the required thrust instantly. This never happens in practice, and the time required to actually deliver the required thrust can have a great effect on how much fuel you waste.

These are typically calculated by weight, not mass, but the mass version can be used to compare them to each other anyway. Just wanted to post this, as a lot of new parts don\'t seem to take into account Thrust:Weight, which is just as important as Isp to how much fuel you need to carry.

KSP\'s stock liquid engines already have an unrealistically high specific impulse.

Something like 560, I\'ve read on the wiki... and Kerbin\'s gravity well is so small already! ^^

Engines should be lighter, axial decouplers should be MUCH lighter, and Isp should be nerfed to about 320.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.