Uphill rover

What wheels are best for going uphills, especially Mun and Minimus, I've got 4 M1 wheels and my rover stalls (goes down hill) anytime I'm going up a steep hill, it makes exploring rather difficult especially in the Farside crater.

Edited by locustgate

I cant tell you which wheels are best (because I've never really messed around with them), but if my rovers are small enough, I usually include an ion thruster to help boost me uphill. The combined power of the ion thruster and the wheels' internal power is usually enough to tackle hills, not crater walls, so my method is definitely not fool-proof.

So, not exactly an answer you were looking for. But an answer none the less :P

Edited by Greenfire32

I find that monoprop thrusters aimed straight up are helpful. They press the rover against the terrain and let the wheels bite for climbing or turning (plus they help prevent you going Dukes of Hazzard at the top of every hill.)

Edited by Nathair

Rovers don't work too well on Minmus in my experience. You spend far too long spinning wheels to overcome inertia. Some form of engines are a good idea, either to provide extra forward thrust, downward thrust to improve traction, or upward thrust to make suborbital hops.

Due to the low gravity, you can use a "sub-orbital hopper" instead of a rover. Basically, you jump from one place to another instead of driving. If you use ion thrusters, you have almost infinite fuel, surely enough for going on the opposite side and back.

EDIT: Didn't read the last post, it says quite the same.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.