A screenshot of Kerbol from about 100,000,000 Km.

randyrules711

Looks like you\'re awfully still. Do you think your spaceship knows which way to go?

This is KSP Commander Tom Kerbal. I\'m floating round a tin can. You really didn\'t spend much on the control capsule, did you Space Centre?

This is KSP Commander Tom Kerbal. I\'m floating round a tin can. You really didn\'t spend much on the control capsule, did you Space Centre?

'Originally built as a placeholder for a demonstration mock-up of a rocket...'

I have four deep space 'probes' titled Something Awfully Stupid I-IV. I built them with the MechJeb capsule so they are basically robots. It would be ULTRA COOL to devise a way for them to record their flight data and 'send' it back to Kerbin. Maybe I need to crack one of these things open and see how the code works.

At any rate, I found to my disappointment that (as far as I can tell) if I leave them entirely unattended to fly further and further into deep space, they seem to lose any progress they\'ve made if I exit and re-start the game. So I check in on them when I\'m doing other missions (such as Mun landings) and F5 just to make sure their state gets written to the savegame file.

I assume this is a bug and I further cannot believe I am the only one who has noticed it, so I guess I should find the forum for posting that, and of course I need to do a real test and see if it actually is doing this, or I am just over-estimating how fast they should progress. My fastest probe is traveling around 22k/sec. It was 91,000,000 K out at the start of one of my Mun missions. After the several-day ordeal of landing a rover on the Mun (and eventually, crashing it and killing my poor crew again when I drove too fast), it was STILL at 91. When on the next mission I went in and 'poked' it, I managed to get it out to 98M.

It\'s too bad that all that deep space is just a skybox. I\'ve let one mission go for something like 2,000 days in sped-up time. It would be awesome to discover something out here . . .

screenshot2161.png

I got to there with stock parts, however I MAY have changed the config file on the stack decoupler TEMPORARILY so that the separation force was of the order of about 10000000000 ish. (normal is 10). This meant I could just attach a pod to a decoupler on the launch pad and fire it off directly to about 1000000km/h. Which I assume must be kind of scary for the wafer-thin green slime pasted to one side of the inside of the capsule, that used to be the three kerbals.