has anyone calculated the "easy" Moho transfer?

B) Your OP stated you wanted the plane change done on the initial burn. If you're changing your mind about that now, whatever.

Look again: in the OP I stated nothing of that sort. When pressed, I said that assuming a 100km equatorial burn would be as good as anything else. It was you who took this to mean that I literally want to start from such a orbit, and it is you who keeps hammering that point ever since.

Look again: in the OP I stated nothing of that sort. When pressed, I said that assuming a 100km equatorial burn would be as good as anything else. It was you who took this to mean that I literally want to start from such a orbit, and it is you who keeps hammering that point ever since.

Well, from the OP:

make it so that you match Moho's inclination from the start, and that your solar periapsis just touches Moho's orbit.

And clarified:

Huh? I thought that was pretty well-defined: there's only two possible dates (I expect them to come around on the same day every year, just like solistice) where you can match planes during your transfer burn. The destination is a point touching Moho's orbit on the far side of the sun, presumably also the corresponding AN/DN with Kerbin.

So... I don't know what else you could mean by "Where you can match planes during the transfer burn" other than just that... But whatever. Have fun banging your head against the wall with this approach. I'm out.

Best answer I've found for this question is Metaphor's journey to Moho here. He beats even Macollo's transfer to Moho by using aggressive use of gravity assists, even more extreme than MESSENGER. He uses eight-- that's right, eight -- Moho gravity assists, plus multiple Eve gravity assists to match Moho inclination and to lower his Kerbol periapsis so that Moho capture takes only 63 dV (!!!!!).

I haven't seen anyone yet on the forums beat his numbers. Total dV of the mission is 7217, of which 4500 were the launch to Kerbin orbit itself, and another ~1200 were landing on Moho.

He explains his technique for launching into an inclined orbit down the page in that link. It's basically an expansion of the core concept hinted at by LethalDose above: it's more efficient to launch into an inclined orbit rather than change once you're already in orbit.

Personally, I've learned a LOT from viewing Metaphor's images of his journey, esp. in regards to planning multiple gravity assists. I recently completed a mission of sending a ship really, really close to the sun by using 5 Eve gravity assists and 4 Moho assists.

IMO, mastering gravity assists is the 'key' to mastering this game. Once you fully master it, you can pretty much move from planet to planet at will.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.