Changing certain parts to be part of a certain tech tree node?

Pingonaut

I want to be able to start out my career mode with ground vehicles, so I can gather my first science on the ground. How can I do this, without getting a pack specifically made for it (unless someone has a suggestion for a pack!).

Make a Module Manager config.

You can move individual parts:

@PART[roverWheel1]:Final
{
TechRequired=start
}

Or just say "all wheels are available at start":

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleWheel]]:Final
{
TechRequired=start
}

Just copy and paste either of these into a text file in GameData, name it "something.cfg" (the ".cfg" is important, the "something" is not).

The Command seat, rovemat and batteries are also useful, combined with the rover wheels hab136 suggested:

{
TechRequired=start
}

@PART[seatExternalCmd]:Final
{
TechRequired=start
}

@PART[roverBody]:Final
{
TechRequired=start
}

@PART[batteryPack]:Final
{
TechRequired=start
}

If you use my SETI-BalanceMod as a base game (which has much better early progression than stock), you have batteries, thermometer and barometer from the start on anyway, so you would just need the wheels, command seat and rover body.

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions! So I suppose what I can do is just build some crafts and then look in their configs to find what parts they use, and make a ModuleManager cfg for them? Sounds -easy- enough. I appreciate the help.

You could also go into each configuration file and change the tech value where it says tech required, also I like the idea you have about placing rover parts at the beginning of the tech tree.

That's what the ModuleManager config would be for, so I don't have to go into each individual file.

• 8 years later...
On 1/18/2015 at 10:25 AM, hab136 said:

Make a Module Manager config.

You can move individual parts:

{
	TechRequired=start
}

Or just say "all wheels are available at start":

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleWheel]]:Final
{
	TechRequired=start
}

Just copy and paste either of these into a text file in GameData, name it "something.cfg" (the ".cfg" is important, the "something" is not).

I tried this in all sorts of ways, and nothing takes effect in game. I changed the tech rquirement in the Squad part cfg's, in the mod and made a separate mod for mod manager. But the parts are always teh same place no matter what I do.

32 minutes ago, Kerbal2023 said:

I tried this in all sorts of ways, and nothing takes effect in game. I changed the tech rquirement in the Squad part cfg's, in the mod and made a separate mod for mod manager. But the parts are always teh same place no matter what I do.

Make sure you installed Module Manager? Or maybe try making a new save.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I have mod manager and I always start new games. I even delete the mod manager config files. Nothing changes where parts are in the tech tree. It's really weird. I changed every file that has information about positions in the tech tree, including my mod, but still everything is as it used to be.

Edit: It seems the game files contain several versions of the same parts with different names, and I was just not adding the ones that show up in the game. I wish there was a way to find the right names.

Edited by Kerbal2023

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.