Why did Squad remove Moho heat?

Hi all,

I am planning a Moho mission (bit daunting :P) and was wondering why the overheat effect of Moho's atmosphere was removed?

Was it to make Moho easier/more fun, or something more along the lines of the Magic Boulder (never forget) where changing the game prevented it from staying? Thanks in advance :)

Cas.

Edited by Carsogen

Moho was originally going to be bathed in lava, and I'm assuming the atmosphere would have been rock vapor or something else continuously evaporating/outgassing from the planet's surface. When they decided Moho wasn't going to be the lava planet, they took out the atmosphere, and now the lava planet concept seems to have been completely forgotten for the past year or two.

Moho was originally going to be bathed in lava, and I'm assuming the atmosphere would have been rock vapor or something else continuously evaporating/outgassing from the planet's surface. When they decided Moho wasn't going to be the lava planet, they took out the atmosphere, and now the lava planet concept seems to have been completely forgotten for the past year or two.

Bring back Nova!! (But only if he wants to)

BOT: Moho with the atmo was hard as because it was superheated so your engines will overheat quite quickly, so returns were *hard*. SQUAD just saw sense, so fair play to them because Moho's still a hard little blighter.

If Moho is to the KSP analog of Mercury, it should have an atmosphere (exosphere - very, very thin) ... and water ice in the craters at the poles.

Mercury's surface atmosphere is about 10-19 of standard atmospheric pressure - negligible for KSP purposes... (even the Moon has an atmosphere of ~10-14 atm)

Edited by Spheniscine

it had an atmosphere? When was this?

The vast majority of the largest bodies in the solar system have at least an extremely thin atmosphere, actually. Pretty much it was discovered that it wasn't that they lacked them, just that our instrumentation wasn't sophisticated enough to detect such minute quantities.

If you mean Moho, back in its debut 0.17 showing, it had a "fake" atmosphere that had no density, but generated heat on parts as you got lower into it. Made landing anywhere below about 8KM or so almost impossible.

The vast majority of the largest bodies in the solar system have at least an extremely thin atmosphere, actually. Pretty much it was discovered that it wasn't that they lacked them, just that our instrumentation wasn't sophisticated enough to detect such minute quantities.

If you mean Moho, back in its debut 0.17 showing, it had a "fake" atmosphere that had no density, but generated heat on parts as you got lower into it. Made landing anywhere below about 8KM or so almost impossible.

Sorry, yes was talking about Moho, I never knew that, of course... That was before I showed up.

Mercury's surface atmosphere is about 10-19 of standard atmospheric pressure - negligible for KSP purposes... (even the Moon has an atmosphere of ~10-14 atm)

Yes, negligible for KSP, agreed ... but I was just thinking in light of it being there as a science goal to attain. There was a recent post put up about a 'hidden biome' on Duna(? was it?), thin atmosphere only picked up and detected when passing between two biome zones ... if I'm recalling this correctly.

My bad... I should go look for the thread to link to before writing this.

Yes, negligible for KSP, agreed ... but I was just thinking in light of it being there as a science goal to attain. There was a recent post put up about a 'hidden biome' on Duna(? was it?), thin atmosphere only picked up and detected when passing between two biome zones ... if I'm recalling this correctly.

My bad... I should go look for the thread to link to before writing this.

Maybe just make the barometer work when landed on "airless" worlds, with appropriate flavor text...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.