[1.3.0] Mobile Frame System [MFS] (v0.3.3) [29.05.2017]

riocrokite

So, I love the alternate colors... but I really dislike having to choose. Perhaps a little research into texture switching would be a good option when you get back.

well I could, but memory usage is the main concern for me, with different colors the mod would easily quadruple in RAM usage :( Another reason is the big picture, I plan to release more parts in matching colors, so having multiple textures for them would multiply RAM usage problem ;)

Sure thing :)

Btw, Kottabos just did a modlight on this:

Really hope he does the next Infernal Robotics version when it gets officially released.

thanks for the link, hope for IR as well :)

Just a heads up, I'm using the current pre-release .dll of Infernal Robotics rework v0.20c and the IR Translation frame parts are moving their meshes incorrectly i.e. moving both pieces down and to the front instead of extending. I'll test this out more and see if I can figure out what's causing it.

I'll investigate it next week. I think it's a known bug in VAB/SPH. However parts should behave normally when vehicle is launched.

Love the way this mod is unfolding riocrokite, but was wondering if you had any plans for replicating something like the IR gantry as a top member for the crane system. I was trying to make a cargo vehicle for the KIS system, and your parts make it very functional except the KIS containers can only be placed in the center of the flatbed.

http://imgur.com/klU5oSG,Y0wDO7d,lYUQO1I,mFm99HR,fbOKlZf#0

very nice idea, I'll think about it :)

lol thats a good one.

cheers :)

well I could, but memory usage is the main concern for me, with different colors the mod would easily quadruple in RAM usage :( Another reason is the big picture, I plan to release more parts in matching colors, so having multiple textures for them would multiply RAM usage problem ;)

Alright, I can understand that perspective. Still, as an option, it might be nice to support a feature such as that for those of us who can handle it. I tried to do it myself, but apparently I couldn't locate the proper object names that the Firespitter texture-swapping modules required. It ended very badly.

I'll investigate it next week. I think it's a known bug in VAB/SPH. However parts should behave normally when vehicle is launched.

You're right! They work normally after launch. Awesome! This is such a great part pack.

Quick recap on MFS roadmap,

Main thing I'll focus on now will be mining and processing extension mod and when I'm tired I'll get back to complete MFS along with its planned submods.

I will be grateful on feedback whether you feel that some parts are unnecessary and redundant so maybe I can cut part count from existing version. Also feedback whether parts are too heavy/too light, too expensive/too cheap will be appreciated.

As for MFS itself plans include:

- 2 adapters (for FTT and 2.5m; anything else)?

- IR gantry along Riptide idea.

- cabins interiors but tbh I don't have motivation to do it :P

- unmanned remote guidance unit with some kind of extendable radar

- replacing or complementing square docking port with better design (do you guys use square docking port?)

- new containers, however they will be a part of mining expansion mod so long road ahead.

I also plan to complement MFS with 3 simple add-ons:

- MFS-LS/EC. First thing it will add are simple life support parts that probably will be compatible with unreleased RoverDude's LS mod (maybe also with TAC-LS). They will go on top of cabin. Another thing this mod will add would be swappable high-efficiency EC generators (LFO/karbonite/nuclear) and batteries that will go behind the cabin.

- MFS-UR. In other words utility racks for MFS. They will go in the space for wheels, so player could add simple KIS/KAS or empty openable containers that will crash-protect small science aparature.

- MFS-ballast. This mod will add heavy heterogeneous fluid mixture (LqdBallast) that will be pumped into empty canals in the MFS parts (especially IR crane parts) to make them heavier and consequently more rigid. Main usage will be probably for heavy-lifter cranes (more rigid structure and ballast tanks that act as a counter ballast) and to lower center of mass for tall vehicles. You could create ballast when landed on any planet. Just use mini-drill for scooping planetary regolith (sand), then you will have to mix it with a bit of liquid fuel to dissolve heavy particles and make it liquid. After that you can pump it (using EC) into your structural parts. Everything will be done with mini-drill-all-in-one machinery. Reverse process will require EC and Oxidizer to pump it out (pumping pressurized and heated Oxygen will push out liquid ballast outside). Pump in / pump out LF/oxidizer will have 0.9/1.1 ratios so you will use LFO in the same proportions as ordinary engines.

Visual for planned stuff:

wtsCpSV.png

Is there away we can make some barge piece ?

EDIT- So we can ferry barge some stuff to the island.

actually I thought about it, I think all it is needed is to create another version of FH21/FH42/FHX42 parts with side mount (as opposed to standard and vertical mount). Then you could attach elements from side and create wide bases/vehicles/barges.

I might add those in future release if there's popular demend, alternatively you could just copy and rename FH21/FH42/FHX42 .cfg files and change nodes order (left and right sound mount to the bottom).

Using docking ports on planets' surfaces vertically usually means problems. They are too weak and too wobbly to hold heavier parts or tanks. So I did some tests for docking port strength;

In other words what mass of docking port to top-connected part mass is enough to avoid wobbliness and falling through other part (on Kerbin's surface).

On the left white tank 72t attached directly. On the right same tank attached via docking port. Initiall docking port mass: 100kg. Docking port is hidden inside the white tank.

Docking port mass in subsequent pictures: 0.1t, 1t, 2t, 5t.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

We can see that at about 5t docking port mass the white tank doesn't pressure-fall through the frame. So the ratio is roughly 7% on Kerbin (5t/72t). Also if you plan to put heavier stuff on top like two white tanks, you would need to have 10t docking port for the same rigidity. Nice thing is that most planets that you can land on have smaller gravitational forces so that ratio will be smaller (i.e. 3% on the Mun however 7% seems to be better if you move fast on the surface - wobblyness might easily flip your vehicle).

That's a reason why I need a ballast mod for MFS:)

Edited by riocrokite

Very interesting. I should probably do similar tests with robotics parts. Looks like you're adjusting their mass in-game, if so how?

simplest possible way; added monopropellant resource to docking port part, then via hyperedit slider you can see how it behaves depending on mass

slow pace of work,

I've discovered that I need to finish ballast mod before mining and processing extension. However ballast mod is dependent on utility racks (dimensions etc) so I modeled openable utility rack that will go on the side of frame (where wheels are). There will be 2 versions: long (hereunder) and short.

Road tests, long side cargobay could fit 4 goo experiments or few monopropellant tanks inside.

It will be mostly decorative element since you could mount stuff under frame without it. Thus I'll probably add lamps to it so machinery / stuff in it is lighted properly and it adds nice looks and utility feel.

Edited by riocrokite

In anticipation for realistic more wheels and machinery / smelters EC usage I started modelling energy generation and storage modules that normally will sit behind the cabin on FH21t frame.

nuclear:

XuxD6CI.png

rtg:

W5inrw4.png

LFO generator:

L1YsNJF.png

They will weigh probably between 3-6t each.

Edited by riocrokite

new power modules;

Lmmome9.png

top row:

heavy rtg, chemical battery (stock), flywheel battery, opened cargo/power hybrid module

bottom row:

LFO->EC generator, hydrocarbons(karbonite-like)->EC generator, nuclear reactor, closed cargo/power hybrid module

testing reusing cabin texture lol

eAZgksN.png

stackability on narrow frame test; TES-3 equivalent :)

ASF5WPR.png

TES-3:

das-fahrbare-sowjetische-kernkraftwerk-tes-3.jpg

Edited by riocrokite

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.