KSP cost per hour

Captain Sierra

This kind of reminds me of when the arcade video game machine Asteroids first came out (1979)... it cost 25 cents (US dollar) per game (you got 3 ships). People would see if they could play for 25 minutes or more, to get their money's worth. You were considered "cool" if you could (lol). Another goal was to quit the game (die) with the point counter at 99,999 ... so your initials always stayed top on the 'best list'... also added to your "coolness".

Asteroids-arcadegame.jpg

I've logged upwards of 3500 hours at this point (and about 120 gigs worth of installs and screenshots, exclusive of any that appeared on either of my two laptops) - but I paid at least three times (one for steam, another for the much cleaner store version, and a gift.. possibly another gift, I forget though)... Give or take sales, errors of estimation, etc... it comes out to around 2c/hour CAD.

That's a pretty durned good deal.

(At one point, I took a two week vacation off of work to specifically play a release - I think it was the ARM/0.23.5 version - and played until my eyes bled~)

$22.99 when I bought it on Steam.

1770 hours played, plus countless untold hours in backup versions.

$0.013 rounded up, on just my Steam Purchase and counted hours. The hours I spent playing KSP at a friend's house long before I decided to buy it... well, I can't count those.

Iirc I bought it at 40% off on steam and seeing as it costs 27.99E there I guess I bought it for 16.99 or similar. Played about 110 hours so far and am currently planning how to mod my first "serious" career save. I'm gonna say this is one of the cheapest games I've ever bought when counted in sum/hour.

I picked it up for 23 bucks a bit over a year ago on steam. counting only steam hours I get $0.04 per hour after 512 hours. However I've probably spent 2-3 times as many hours on moded installs that I moved out of the steam directory after I lost a save due to an update. I'd be willing to bet my actual cost per hour is down at the 2 cent mark or lower. I suspect the cost of the electricity to run my computer while playing KSP is higher than the price I paid for the game at this point.

Just copy the game folder out of the steam directory and launch it from there. there's no DRM on the game that requires you to run steam. You only need to run steam to download updates.

Ah. Good to know. =^.^=

I bought KSP on the same day that 0.19 went live but as I'm maxing out my RAM due to all the mods I run, I launch using the EXE rather than Steam (WHY DOES IT USE SO MUCH MEMORY?!) I can't even give a rough estimate of the cost per hour.

Nobody would happen to have a comprehensive price history dating all the way back to the earliest paid version of KSP?

I doubt anyone does. The best most of us can do is provide anecdotal evidence (ie. what we paid for it). I know the first asking price prior to 0.14's release was $7US. It went up to $10US when 0.14 came out, and has steadily climbed since to its current price point of $30US. Of course, the consistency of pricing gets muddied when you factor in the various sales it undergoes every once and a while, too.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.