I want to get a custom computer

Caesar15

I know a friend who makes computers, and i was thinking if I asked you gusy what i like to do with a computer i could get some good parts

I want the price to be 400 or less ($)

I like gaming, total war gaming, so i want good processing power, i also want a good graphics card, one with direct x 12 capability and that dosent suck, like total war gaming, that could support shogun 2 on fulll graphics

So, do you think its possible to get something like what i want less then 400?

Direct X12?

You mean 11? And bleh Microsoft...

Yeah it\'s probably possible. Definitely ask your friend for advice along the way.

I\'d suggest an i5 for a processor. That should be plenty, and cheap.

If you find an i5 breaks the budget, then go AMD. AMD is cheaper, but not quite as efficient as intel.

If you want a gaming PC, then $400 (I am guessing that\'s around £300-325) won\'t cut it, I am afraid. Firstly, you need a decent graphics card, since that is the most important part of a gaming PC, you don\'t necessarily need an amazing CPU, but the higher the clock the better... and a fair amount of RAM would be good too.. 4GB minimum. A fast HDD/SSD would be very good to have too, for gaming.

You\'re probably going to need at least about $650-700... and that\'s assuming you\'ve already got a monitor...

Direct X12?

You mean 11? And bleh Microsoft...

Yeah it\'s probably possible. Definitely ask your friend for advice along the way.

I\'d suggest an i5 for a processor. That should be plenty, and cheap.

If you find an i5 breaks the budget, then go AMD. AMD is cheaper, but not quite as efficient as intel.

Take my experience if it\'s only a few bucks more for a i5 definitely go with the I5.

I upgraded my family pc about a year ago and I got a AMD Athlon it was A LOT cheaper but it sucks.

I wounder if my old broken PC still has its processor...

(In 09 my dad broke it so we bought another computer that wasn\'t like 13 years old...)

Well this depends.

Are you planning on building something completely from scratch? Or do you plan on using parts from an older PC? (case, Power Supply, Harddrive, etc.)

If you want to build an entire PC from scratch, I would lean towards LukeTim\'s estimate.

However I think you could easily sneak away with ~$600, probably a little below.

Newegg has lots of Bundle Deals that will knock ~$10 off for buying two items together. You just have to do a bit of searching for those deals.

Well this depends.

Are you planning on building something completely from scratch? Or do you plan on using parts from an older PC? (case, Power Supply, Harddrive, etc.)

If you want to build an entire PC from scratch, I would lean towards LukeTim\'s estimate.

However I think you could easily sneak away with ~$600, probably a little below.

Newegg has lots of Bundle Deals that will knock ~$10 off for buying two items together. You just have to do a bit of searching for those deals.

My friend has an old monitor and case so i ll just use those

Oh yeah forgot about a Monitor :P

Last question, does his old case come with a Power Supply, and if yes, what\'s the Wattage on it? If you can find the Volts on the rails too (just ask him :P) that would also be beneficial.

Actually, just ask him if the Power Supply (PSU) is worth using.

If it\'s older than 5 years or so...I\'d say get a new one. The LAST thing you want to happen is use an old, dying PSU on your new parts only to have the PSU crap out and fry everything after a year.

The wattage and volts would help us determine what kind of parts it can handle, mainly the graphics card.

Some graphics cards are pretty demanding in power.

Having a case and monitor will easily save you $200 though. To be fair, I didn\'t consider either of those in my ~$600 estimate though.

PSU\'s are pretty cheap. $30-$50

I wouldn\'t pay anymore than $50.

Again, the most costly parts of the computer will be the GPU and CPU, both between $150-$200.

The rest is pretty dirt cheap.

Im looking into doing it myself, but I would like to get the money up to about $1400 before I do it.

O.O

I don\'t want to tell you how to build something, but I personally wouldn\'t spend that much.

You could definitely make a VERY high end computer with that kind of money.

But personally I feel the 'leading edge' factor is lost very quickly, and not worth the money.

Guest GroundHOG-2010

What are you trying to do with that thing?!

Host a website or HUGE server?

Well I don\'t know. Don\'t know the prices at the moment.

With $900 you can get a i5 2500k along with a near top of line graphics card which will play just about anything on Ultra except maybe battlefield 3. So yea $1400 is a bit crazy unless you\'re doing a ton of video editing and possibly full fledged programs.

Guest GroundHOG-2010

With $900 you can get a i5 2500k along with a near top of line graphics card which will play just about anything on Ultra except maybe battlefield 3. So yea $1400 is a bit crazy unless you\'re doing a ton of video editing and possibly full fledged programs.

Well, it would need to last me at least 4-6 years, so maybe that isn\'t a bad thing.

This depends on the angle you have.

if you want to buy something and be done with it for another 4 years or so, spend big.

If you don\'t mind an upgrade every two years or so, then go mid-grade. You\'ll save some money this way and never reach that spot of 'My god this rig sucks donkey'

Guest GroundHOG-2010

This depends on the angle you have.

if you want to buy something and be done with it for another 4 years or so, spend big.

If you don\'t mind an upgrade every two years or so, then go mid-grade. You\'ll save some money this way and never reach that spot of 'My god this rig sucks donkey'

The last time I got my desktop upgraded, it wasn\'t done too well. But yes, I would rather be done with it for anouther 4 years or so (the funny thing is, even though it was done to a mid-low grade, it can still run skyrim (with the occational crash, but still, a new game on a very old system.

I would say then still get i5 2500K since it\'s an exceptional processor for everything gaming but instead get a flagship card and eventually when the price drops get the same card and set up crossfire.

Here is a good list, WHICH WAS UPDATED AND CORRECTED.

Graphics card recommendation: Nvidia Geforce 550 TI: Cost $135

Processor Recommendation: AMD Phenom X4: Cost $129

Ram Recommendation: 8GB 1333MHz: Cost $40

Power Supply Recommendation: 550 Watts :Cost $60

Motherboard Recommendation: BIOSTAR A780L3G AMD 780L Motherboard :Cost $45

Operating System REQUIREMENT: Window 7 64-Bit :Cost $100

Total Cost: $499 A little high.

Here is a good list.

Processor Recommendation: AMD Pentium X4: Cost $129

Power Supply Recommendation: Cost $60

Case Recommendation: Apevia X-DREAMER3-BK X-DREAMER3 Mid Tower Case: Cost $60

Total Cost: $424

I got an old case, so just need the motherboard.

I got an old case, so just need the motherboard.

Here ya go.

Here is a good list, WHICH WAS UPDATED AND CORRECTED.

Processor Recommendation: AMD Phenom X4: Cost $129

Power Supply Recommendation: 550 Watts :Cost $60

Motherboard Recommendation: BIOSTAR A780L3G AMD 780L Motherboard :Cost $45

Operating System REQUIREMENT: Window 7 64-Bit :Cost $100

Total Cost: $499 A little high.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.