STS-7/E Space Shuttle (Stock NASA Replica) Still Flies in KSP 1.4.3 - Re-enters Like the Real Thing!

inigma

I think 1.0.3 broke something with the STS6E. Everything looks fine with the first staging but the second one (when the main engines fire up) causes the Advanced Reaction Wheel, Large to explode due to overheating. From there I just have a cascading failure. Is anybody else seeing this?

AVC said a lot of my mods were incompatible so I uninstalled just about everything (the only mods I kept are Filter Extensions, Fusebox, Graphic Memory Monitor, KOS, and TextureReplacer).

I think I'm not going to update to the 1.0.3 as it sounds like its causing hell on Kerbin. God damn it squad. Working on a pair of new sub-assemblies though. A orbital laser system and a station building stater pack. :sticktongue:

i am getting the same issue. the Advanced reaction wheel overheats before i even launch or after i launch and i am on ascent to orbit.

JWOC

I'll look at 1.0.3 later this week. Haven't had time yet. Thanks for all the reports. Does anyone know if the affected reaction wheels are those on the orbiter or on the External Tank? I suspect they are the trio on the rear of the orbiter.

The E in STS-6E stands for Extended... as in the higher part count SRBs, and the STS Elevator and STS Fuel Pod subassmeblies in a single package.

Hmmm... i guess the problem is solved with 1.0.4 update.

2 starts, no problem.

That's a sigh of relief. Thanks for the report. Can anyone else concurr with 6 and 6E?

And jack...u space pirate u. Nice job! Ill add to list asap.

Questions:

Vanilla 1.0.4? No mods? 6 or 6E?

Sorry about that. 1.0.4 with the same mods I listed on my previous post: Filter Extensions, Fusebox, Graphic Memory Monitor, KOS, and TextureReplacer.

6E. I haven't tried the 6.

Edited by AndreZero

Sorry about that. 1.0.4 with the same mods I listed on my post: Filter Extensions, Fusebox, Graphic Memory Monitor, KOS, and TextureReplacer.

6E. I haven't tried the 6.

Try a fresh 1.0.4 install, new STS-6 and STS-6E, no mods.

"some" Kerbals were lost in the making of this movie.... HA HA HA!!! The list was almost as long as the survivors list...

Other than that, thanks a whole heap. Keep up the good work, you are awesome.

:)

all of them explode on the launch pad right now do to over heating...

Yup. Very odd behavior. Looking into it. I might need to redesign the internal SAS stack or report a bug.

- - - Updated - - -

Submitted a support request here, feel free to add your data and screenshots: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/126574-1-0-4-Large-SAS-Units-Exploding-Due-to-Overheating-While-Just-Sitting-on-the-Launch-Pad

I'm leaning more to the side that this is a possible new KSP bug with large SAS units offset or clipped into fuel tanks.

Hmmm... i guess the problem is solved with 1.0.4 update.

2 starts, no problem.

Damn?!

Yesterday: 2 of 2 starts are ok (after update).

Now: It explodes again and again and again.

Edit:

Ok, the start works... Only when the shuttle bays are open (during the start!).

Edit 2:

When i close the bays and wait a few seconds, then it explodes again.

Checked with a simple test construction:

When i put 2 reaction wheels on one big booster > the vessel explodes

When i put 2 reaction wheels on a fuselage with a big booster > no structural problems

Edited by Scathalh

Damn?!

Yesterday: 2 of 2 starts are ok (after update).

Now: It explodes again and again and again.

Edit:

Ok, the start works... Only when the shuttle bays are open (during the start!).

Edit 2:

When i close the bays and wait a few seconds, then it explodes again.

Checked with a simple test construction:

When i put 2 reaction wheels on one big booster > the vessel explodes

When i put 2 reaction wheels on a fuselage with a big booster > no structural problems

Interesting...

go ahead and add your findings in the support thread I posted above. I think we have discovered a new bug. :)

i guess i will try flying it with the bays open!

- - - Updated - - -

update: manged to get it into sub-orbit i took pictures at parts

i had to leave the hanger bay open the whole way

- - - Updated - - -

2nd flight carriering 7 kerbals 100km obit achieved.

Left the bay doors open the whole away until all tanks were relesed to be safe

- - - Updated - - -

3rd flight completed no explosions with cargo bay closed at start. i have no idea what i did, might have been me taking the parts of and placing them back. maybe the 1.04 went and changed the item that was exploading

- - - Updated - - -

just went boom on release of main tank..

Edited by Coulter47

I already built my own shuttle, but this one is much better. oh, and mine didn't fly too good, either. actually, it exploded instantly on throttle up. maybe i'll look at this one and learn something.

great video too!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.