Renamed: Not the 2nd tier runway, gizmo'd part clip causing strangeness

Complete rewrite of post:

I've been playing with the planes involved, and realized it's not the Tier 2 runway. That was just exacerbating the problem with the minor imperfections. Somehow, the gizmo'd Modular Girder segment being gizmo'd through both a fuselage and a wing was causing some kind of screwy result. My guess is this is some sort of clipping bug causing the wings to act weird.

Albatross 3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jm76bxdab2ve2ly/Albatross%203.craft?dl=0

The craft file I've left here for reference.

If you pull the modular girder segments out of the wing, and adjust the front wheel appropriately (Albatross 9 is a 3 with these adjustments) you don't get a liftoff 'lock' of the front wheel. The plane doesn't sit in a particular alignment while attempting takeoff.

Albatross 9: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wzdmji8gwd9yxvf/Albatross%209.craft?dl=0

The video explanation of what I'm seeing is here (video is unlisted, so only relative to this discussion):

http://youtu.be/szgCzyfyFFA

I'm hoping you guys can see, or find, something I can't. The best I've got so far is that the girder is causing the wing to freeze somehow. (Good grief YouTube takes forever to process a fricking video sometimes...)

Edited by WanderingKid
Completely wrong reason for failure

Edit: Ah, you mean the sticky Tier 2 Launchpad affects the Runway as well? There's nothing noted about that. That particular bug lists for T30's and T45's, mostly, and simply offsetting on the Launchpad can remove that problem.

Edited by WanderingKid

I MIGHT have experienced the same, with the small gearbay of the adjustable gearbays mod. I too currently have the tier 2 runway.

Please try something: Enable the brakes, then disable them again. Is rolling now possible?

I'm not sure you understood what I said above, or I didn't phrase it well.

The ship rolls just fine. The wheels are not locked. The wings get locked into a particular orientation as best I can tell until suddenly they 'free up' and the ship goes out of control.

The ship rolls just fine. The wheels are not locked. The wings get locked into a particular orientation as best I can tell until suddenly they 'free up' and the ship goes out of control.

I don't think you are describing it properly. Why would your wings change orientation? Give us some pictures of your craft.

Apparently not. The wings change orientation because the elevators push the plane in different directions. The wings themselves aren't moving, except in relation to the ground.

Pic:

LrETbqY.jpg

Of course, you could just grab the craft file, too.

What you see above is what I mean by 'wheel locking'. It's locking in place in the air about a 1/2 meter over the runway. It won't move past that, on a Tier 2 runway, until the ship self destructs.

I'm putting together a short vid now to help explain this. A moving picture is necessary here, I think.

Edited by WanderingKid

Well, that's fair I suppose. Not having KSP installed?! SACRELIDGE!

... I digress.

I've adjusted the first post. It includes a video about what's going on and a change of what I believe the problem is. The 2nd Tier Runway exacerbated it, it didn't cause it. I believe, in the end, this is a part clipping problem.

Same plane, ripped off the wings and rebuilt it, just as low. Tail strikes like a king (and blows it the heck up). So, no, it's not skidding the tail engine.

Albatross 5: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b877z9w6hzkcyfp/Albatross%205.craft?dl=0

Edit: Also, at ~115m/s it's able to achieve AoA for liftoff. If they were dragging they'd kaboom.

Yeah I was wondering why it didn't kaboom if it were the case, but my knowledge of aerodynamics and how they work in ksp in particular is nonexistant, so I thought maybe velocity was related to AoA/Lift. I should read up on things before making half-thought out suggestions. Well that theory is certainly put to bed.

Edited by faeryty

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.