Do you feel KSP is ready for 1.0?

Do you think KSP is ready for 1.0?  

954 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think KSP is ready for 1.0?

• Yes
    • No

Yes. Nothing really new that hasn't already been addressed, when the thread was getting overheated. Here is a link to Maxmaps tweets and comments earlier in this thread. We were not ignored, this informal gut-reaction poll was seen. Also, the first thread message has been updated, so new readers coming to the thread have replies by Squad, before considering the poll question. That has probably helped the climb from a low of 20% "yes" votes.

Why do you keep reposting Maxmap's link and downplaying the poll results? The only 'informal gut-reaction' sentiment we've seen is from Squad with their 'we're uncomfortable being in Early Access' so 'the next update will be our 1.0 release' statement. Combine this with the huge quantity of new features that will be introduced in 1.0 without extensive beta testing for bugs/balance issues and you'll realise that the only rational conclusion is: "No, KSP is not ready for 1.0 release". This sentiment is shared by the vast majority of the community, hence the poll results.

Squad is doing the right thing, by rolling right along with a solid Devnote Tuesday, showing that they are working hard to solve problems - whether real or perceived, from comments made here.

That Squad is publishing 'solid' devnotes has nothing to do with real development, merely with perceived development (corporate PR) as they are obviously rushing the release. I agree with you that this has indeed resulted in some 'yes' votes from people who may not realise the near impossible objectives that Squad is trying to push. Still, the vast majority of the community appears not to buy this advertising.

I just had a thought... Maybe a 0.90.1 would be in order just to see if everything is balanced properly. I think 1.0 is when first impressions will really count (what if Total Biscuit makes a review, for example), and making that first impression with career all over the place could go badly...

I believe this is the sentiment of the majority of naysayers, read the previous 78 pages :)

KSP is one of the most unique games I've ever played and possibly one of my favourite, if not the most favourite, games out there. It has led me to having a heightened interest and knowledge regarding space exploration as well as many other individuals. The feeling of euphoria you recieve when you first get into a stable orbit, or a successful mission to the Mun, the essentially endless possibilities, the many obstacles and challenges to set and conquer for yourself, the vast array mods and the list goes on. I have always loved this game and I still will. Despite this however, it is most definitely wrong to release the game into 1.0 this early, simply out of concern of the vast amount of features that are being implemented which increases the risk of new bugs, which you most certainly do not want if you intend to give the critics good first impressions, and the lack of certain content that the devs still have to address. This deeply concerns me, as well as the lack of knowledge on whether or not all bugs in the current version are being fixed upon release.

The transition to 1.0 this early is clearly a poor move. However, I still hold my hopes up that the devs may surprise me and prove me wrong with the release of the update or, better yet, accept the players' critique like they did with the Barn ordeal. Otherwise I can't deny that I still feel excited for the upcoming release.

Edited by EventHorizon429

No I am disappointed honestly, and I do not understand why they want to rush to a release just to tick off some new customers expecting a polished game. There are a lot of bugs and optimizations that I assumed(and they stated) would be fixed during "beta than ever" and we got one update and then 1.0 lol. 64-bit doesn't even really work yet I mean what? This game is in much better state than other EA games that went "1.0" at least, but it's not there yet. Hopefully post 1.0 they will polish it enough to be worthy of that title. I am also very disappointed that clouds were never added, and the planets were never re-made as they are very bland and look like an alpha build lol.

Edited by MaGicBush

What I'd like to see is some sort of poll that measures how people feel about "early access" games. It's possible that people who fall in the "game developers" category generally have a different perspective than people in the "game consumers" category because developers have a different perspective. To echo what others have said, the publicly stated reason seems to be to fight off some perceived stigma about being "early access."

Maybe the next "release" could still be 1.0, but it could be given out as a pre-release before going full. Like 1.0 pre02 or something.
Like a beta perhaps?
:0.0:

Basically yeah. Sort of beta, sort of a release. A la the snapshots of Minecraft.

Like a beta, for the release. But not the game... Huh.

You mean a "release candidate"? Yeah... it's still like a beta, just getting more release-worthy. ;)

The bottom line is that the game should be 100% perfect before 1.0. Now the game has always had its problems but they are easily talked away by saying its early access its early access. But once you go 1.0 there is no going back. Any problem with the game or anything missing in the game will be criticized much more harshly because its a full blown game. My question is who isn't playing ksp that isn't playing already? I mean do they honestly expect a huge jump in sales when 1.0 comes out? Its not gonna be a huge release everyone who wants to play ksp is already playing.

The bottom line is that the game should be 100% perfect before 1.0.

That would be a first in software history.

My question is who isn't playing ksp that isn't playing already? I mean do they honestly expect a huge jump in sales when 1.0 comes out? Its not gonna be a huge release everyone who wants to play ksp is already playing.

I think there will be a significant bump in sales. Many people avoid early access games, whether because they've been burned before byt them or just prefer to avoid all the baggage that goes along with it (incompleteness, more bugs, etc). Plus there is bound to be a lot of publicity when the game finally leaves early access, making people aware of it who weren't otherwise.

I understand the position that some people feel the next release shouldn't be 1.0, but the idea that it has to be 100% perfect and that being 1.0 won't affect sales are not very compelling reasons to me.

KSP is not ready for release, and as others have said the reviewers will (rightfully) tear it apart as-is.

KSP should go through a few months of stability without any major added features and then any last bugs or UI improvements could be added before the final release. Adding major features and then releasing right away is a recipe for terrible bugs on release and thus terrible reviews.

Many of us veteran players don't see the horrific UI flaws and bugs that KSP has because we've had workarounds for them for so long. It's all very obvious to a new user, though, and it will be obvious to the reviewers, too.

Seriously this thread goes around and around in circles.

Many people (myself included) feel that it is rushed for KSP to go gold yet, and there should be at least one more beta version.

However it has been made apparent that that's not what's going to happen. The devs seem confident that they can implement the changes and new features and go gold in one version without creating any new bugs. I think that's amazing. If they pull it off I will be super impressed.

It doesn't actually change anything though. Most people here will continue to play and love KSP.

Some new people will probably find it, love it and get on board. Some people will probably hate it and whinge and moan. There will probably be good reviews and bad reviews.

If they call it 1.0 or KSP 0.91 or KSP 3.1 Millennium Falconpunch. It doesn't matter. Does it matter?

The one thing that the devs have said that matters, is that KSP will continue to be updated and improved upon after release. That's what we should be concerned about, is making sure that, as much as we can, we encourage them to follow through with that.

It's possible that people who fall in the "game developers" category generally have a different perspective than people in the "game consumers" category because developers have a different perspective.
Yup - different perspectives :) I have worked in Testing on non-entertainment projects. We disliked the term "QA" because the testers aren't really responsible for assuring quality, just part of the process. They spend the hours nailing down and documenting consistent bug reproduction steps, and do their best to identify the root cause of problems, but its up to Developers and Management to, respectively, implement and approve a fix. If it was up to Test or "QA" - the software would never ship ;)

I don't think they promised a bug-free 1.0, as Red Iron Crown notes, that would be a first for any software. Just that the beta phase is the time - now that all major features are locked in - to fix as many bugs as they can.

One of my "favorites" is the random wing destruction bug, (bugtracker link) that may occur under certain conditions. Its notoriously difficult to fix intermittent bugs that don't have a known, methodical set of steps to reproduce them. People have been trying. If the aero overhaul doesn't magically fix the problem, due to code changes affecting wings and drag, 1.0 may ship with this bug. I'll be disappointed, but it won't end my world.

While searching around, I found this 2010 article: "Gaming's fatal design flaws," which may take you down a memory lane of older games, and/or reinforce whatever beliefs you may have ;)

The one thing that the devs have said that matters, is that KSP will continue to be updated and improved upon after release. That's what we should be concerned about, is making sure that, as much as we can, we encourage them to follow through with that.
Great comment!

1.0 is more than 2 months away. Maxmaps said this, in his latest Squadcast.

Starting at 11:30 into the stream - (my transcript. link to video, and Much more stuff that he talked about, is in the link above.)

"...over the past couple updates we got you used to shorter dev cycles ... and i'm crazy happy that we managed to pull them off, but, i'd say don't expect this one to go as short. I would love to say "yeah, it will just be 2 months," and BAM we're out in 1.0 and its gonna be great, but no. This one's gonna take a little longer, because there's... as you probably read the feature list, there is a LOT to get done."

I don't think they promised a bug-free 1.0, as Red Iron Crown notes, that would be a first for any software. Just that the beta phase is the time - now that all major features are locked in - to fix as many bugs as they can.

I hear ya, but not all features have been locked in. Resources coming in 1.0. Completely overhauled aero. You've got thousands of beta testers willing and ready, yet you're not going to use them?

I know, I know. 1.0 isn't really 1.0! They'll keep updating! We all know this. Everyday Joe isn't on the KSP forums or following Max on Reddit. That Steam banner is going to pop up with "KSP 1.0: It's done folks!" and they're going to expect a finished product.

"...but look at all the good reviews on Steam already!" Yes. For an early access game which everyone is giving the benefit of the doubt.

Maybe I'm wrong. That'd be great. All I can do is give my opinion, and, for me, there are currently to many problems to ignore.

KSP is nearly ready for v1.0, however it only needs 3 simple things added.

First, a document that explains orbital terms in simple terms

Second. tooltips for <?

Finally, the ability to change the unit of measure.

other then that its good to go.

1. A document like the wiki, or a dozen threads in the forum?

2. Tooltips... for what?

3. Imperial measurement is stupid and should not be accommodated, anywhere, ever.

196755_460s.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.