So Store or Steam?

quickmind2020

You should be able to port the game to Steam after buying it from the store.

I imagine the devs get more money from buying from them instead of Steam.

If you use Steam already it should not make much difference to you.

If you do not use Steam this is a good game to try it out on since unlike many games bought through Steam it does not require Steam to run.

My understanding is that Squad makes a touch more money off of their store per-purchase, so that can be a factor in your decision. However, Steam has sales on KSP occasionally, which can also be attractive, and has a pretty good track record so far as handling server load when a new version comes out.

In terms of the day-to-day play, the steam version is literally the same game and folder structure (and thus ability to launch multiple KSP installs from-folder, like stock and modded versions), just located in the Steam apps folder directory. The value in having it in Steam is likely proportional to how many other games you have on Steam - although if you use Steam you can still run the KSP-store version as a non-Steam app.

Basically, I can't think of any significant difference. I bought from KSP store back in the day, but transferred to Steam. Consider joining the unofficial Steam group if you do :)

I prefer to work from the store version, but I'm a bit old-school like that. Having it on Steam has a few nice benefits like automatic tracking of time played for you and auto-updating when new versions hit, but also some annoyances (like auto-updating when new versions hit; there's a way around that problem in the form of copying the current version to a different location before an update hits, of course).

Store. Definitely store. Steam's in-place auto-updating tends to break saves and mods and happens unexpectedly. It also gives you no choice in what version (x86 or x86_64) you want to play (and also doesn't say which one it launches). Fortunately it gives you the option of copying the files out on every update, but that's a bit tedious IMO.

The store lacks all these problems and also lets you download the previous version, which is really useful with all the gamebreaking updates if you ask me. This even led me to purchase the store version while already owning KSP in steam.

Store. Definitely store. Steam's in-place auto-updating tends to break saves and mods and happens unexpectedly. It also gives you no choice in what version (x86 or x86_64) you want to play (and also doesn't say which one it launches). Fortunately it gives you the option of copying the files out on every update, but that's a bit tedious IMO.

The store lacks all these problems and also lets you download the previous version, which is really useful with all the gamebreaking updates if you ask me. This even led me to purchase the store version while already owning KSP in steam.

Steam install launches the 32 bit version. Since both versions are in the KSP folder, all you need to do to run the 64 bit version is to run the executable or create a shortcut to it.

Steam has the advantage of quickly updating your program due to its server structure. However, since this can break saves, it is best if you run the game from a copy placed elsewhere on your computer.

I have the Steam version on the desktop and the store version on the laptop.

It doesn't matter. There's no requirement fro Steam to be running to play the game so you can purchase, download it, then move it to another location and run it directly. That way you won't have to worry about the auto updating (which you can also turn off for the game).

Either way you buy it you get the same game, so long as you buy it and join in the fun. :D

I bought it from the store, too many bad experiences with steam (especially the "offline" mode) for me to ever get any game from there if I can get it otherwise.

If you already have steam then it doesn't really matter where you get KSP from. Steam sometimes has sales so it may be cheaper.

I greatly prefer the Store version. You can just unzip it wherever you please, no-hassle re-installs (Steam requires a little executable to restore any Steam backups you make), and you can install it without Steam if need be.

The only real downside to me is that the Store pretty much collapses on release days. Fortunately, I happen to own both Steam and Store versions~

(Woah there's a remastered version of Homeworld 1 coming out~ woot~)

I don't accept the Steam Subscriber Agreement, so it's the store for me. That and I've already had to help a friend after their Steam client decided it would be brilliant to default to launching the Windows x64 variant that didn't work properly. So much for "convenience".

I like Steam, because I don't have to keep track of either DVDs or any other sites I've purchased from.

I have a couple of other games that I had to buy on a (not to be named) competitor to steam, and it's just a hassle to install it and remember my passwords for it, and all that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.