Better way to find a waypoint/destination on the ground?

Upgraded from 0.23.5 straight to Beta a few weeks ago and playing a new save. Is there a better way to find a location on the ground/in the air to satisfy a contract? I think this question has been posed already on the forums, but I can't find the thread now.

I spent four hours yesterday struggling to complete three Visual Survey/Ground Survey contracts on Kerbin. I built a simple plane so that I could fly over the locations, and a rover so that I could drive from one ground location to another, but I could never be sure where the destinations were. So I spent a lot of time flailing around, driving up and down hills, making racetrack flyovers until I stumbled upon the target areas. It took forever and it wasn't fun at all.

Squad really should implement some type of navigational arrow to point you in the direction of where "X0923" or "Manley's Demise" are rather than fiddling with the Map view, which gets blurry if you zoom in too much. Is there some workaround or mod? Something that displays your vehicle's coordinates and the coordinates of your target?

Edited by NASAHireMe

Or, in stock, you can click on the waypoint in the map view and select "Activate Navigation". This will cause an icon to appear on the navball guiding you to the area.

It only takes into account straight line paths, so you do have to be a little careful if the waypoint is on the other side of the planet.

I can't figure out how to hit waypoints with any accuracy in stock except with a plane. If you're on a body without an atmosphere you generally need to burn away from your target, so it's always on the other side of the nav ball as you're coming in. I've considered putting an upside-down probe on my ship just so I can guide my ship in.

• 1 year later...

I have a similar problem with the new patch. I use Kerbnet to place waypoints but i can't land on them because i can get my ship into the proper orbit. When i set up my manuever node its hard to tell if the new orbit will pass over the waypoint or if it just looks that way.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.