Sovereign - SSTO Cruiser Class Dropship

CRAFT FILE: http://goo.gl/pkgGlY

Sovereign

noun

a monarch; a king, queen, or other supreme ruler.

a person who has supreme power or authority.

a group or body of persons or a state having sovereign authority.

a gold coin of the United Kingdom, equal to one pound sterling: went out of circulation after 1914.

adjective

belonging to or characteristic of a sovereign or sovereign authority; royal.

having supreme rank, power, or authority.

supreme; preeminent; indisputable:

a sovereign right.

greatest in degree; utmost or extreme.

being above all others in character, importance, excellence, etc.

efficacious; potent:

a sovereign remedy.

There's dark clouds brewing on the horizon in the form of the new aero update which on the surface of it doesn't sound very dropship friendly at all. :( Still, on the plus side it has spured me into getting this latest SSTO released and I must say it performs rather nicely. :)

PfT2pFA.jpg

Combining the very best elements of the Carpathia and Equinox, the Sovereign gets you to where you need to go in style. With just over 7000 m/s of Delta V to play with you'll find most of Kerbal system is well within reach. At its extreme range I estimate the craft is capable of return trips to Eeloo (providing you can get a decent slingshot around Jool).

R2ub4C1.jpg

You'll certainly have more then enough fuel to handle return trips to Laythe! :cool:

nRIxbmy.jpg

An innovative (in my opinion) stacked engine configuration, (shown here with one of the TJs removed & the LV-N replaced) combined with balanced intakes allows you to keep full throttle on the jets right up to 42K with no chance of flat spins. Beyond that you've got the option of shutting down one of the jets and using the obscene amount of intake air to keep the engine burning right to very edges of space! :wink:

awFH3uu.jpg

OPERATORS MANUAL:

While more challenging to fly then the Sprite/Pixie the Sovereign will reward those pilots that really get to know her. She handles well for a ship of her size but needs to be treated with respect, this isn't a craft you want to start throwing round the sky! I'd also be very wary about making modifications to the design as even so much as rotating it can upset the delicate balance of intakes that keep the engines fed. If you're getting flame-outs before 40k you'll know something has gone wrong with the file!

CONTROLS:

1 - Toggle Jet Engine 1

2 - Toggle Jet Engine 2

3 - Toggle LV-N

5 - Reduce Tail Drag

8 - Toggle Nav Lights

9 - Toggle Ladder

SPACE/STAGE - Detach Droptanks

ABORT - Undock All Ports

STANDARD MISSION PROFILE:

• Set throttle to 0%, activate SAS and set control to the top docking port (vertical).
  • Activate Engines 1 & 2 then set throttle to 100%
  • Ascend vertically to 15,000m then pitch over to 45` on a 90` heading.
  • As you build up speed drag from the tail will try to pull the nose up, you can either leave the SAS to compensate or press 5 to reduce the tail drag.
  • At 25,000m pitch over to roughly 20`above the horizon and build up your apoapsis to read 40k. (Mechjeb orbital info tab recommended)
  • Once it does pitch flat to the horizon, you'll also want to reactivate the rear intakes by pressing 5.
  • Hold alittude at 40k by adjusting your pitch and build up your speed.
  • Once you pass orbital velocity (2300m/s) set the SAS to point prograde and concentrate on working the throttle.
  • Keep the jets going as long as you can by gradually reducing throttle.
  • Once your throttles about halfway press 1 to disable the 2nd engine and gently throttle back up.
  • Keep this engine going as long as you can by slowly reducing throttle, you'll still have a small amount of thrust till you're almost out the athmoshpere!
  • You'll want to aim for an apoapsis of around 210,000m.
  • Once out the atmosphere shut down the jet and press 3 to activate the LV-N. You can get accurate Delta V readings in Mechjeb by setting the thrust limiter on the jets to 0.
  • You can now circularize at the apoapsis or some cases go straight for an interplanetary/munar injection burn.
  • Keep an eye on the fuel levels of your drop tanks and be ready to eject them when needed (if desired).
  • On landing switch to horizontal control by pressing C twice, however all maneuver burns (or Mechjeb use) must be done using the top docking port.
  • When touching down back on Kebin use the jets and LV-N together to help reduce throttle lag.

Right, well good luck! If you have any Qs don't be shy. :D

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

Yeah I'm using heaps of mods. It doesn't seem to occur with all craft, but if there's clipping going on, then yeah... I think it might be Venns stock revamp but I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure there's nothing on the runway though.

Yeah I'm using heaps of mods. It doesn't seem to occur with all craft, but if there's clipping going on, then yeah... I think it might be Venns stock revamp but I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure there's nothing on the runway though.

Ah, in that case perhaps move the MOD folders (temporarily) to the KSP root directory, it should work then. I hope! :P

Cupcake...

Wow. 7km/s is more than I have been able to pack in any SSTO, including the winged ones with TWR<1! Though looking at the air in the resources tab, I have a feeling I should know why ;)

But seriously, this thing makes me wonder what the ultimate delta-v limit is for this two jets + nuke powerplant. Going winged with a lower TWR should increase it a bit further, and unmanned/chair'ed it could be even a bit lighter when empty... maybe a 8km/s design is viable?

Rune. It would have to have a mass ratio of "e" in orbit, incidentally, which is doubly awesome in my book.

Wow. 7km/s is more than I have been able to pack in any SSTO, including the winged ones with TWR<1! Though looking at the air in the resources tab, I have a feeling I should know why ;)

But seriously, this thing makes me wonder what the ultimate delta-v limit is for this two jets + nuke powerplant. Going winged with a lower TWR should increase it a bit further, and unmanned/chair'ed it could be even a bit lighter when empty... maybe a 8km/s design is viable?

Rune. It would have to have a mass ratio of "e" in orbit, incidentally, which is doubly awesome in my book.

Umm yes, I should point out though that the intakes at the back are more decorative then useful! :blush: I think it's the fact that you can run on one engine at extreme altitudes that really gives it it's efficiency. I'm not sure if I can get it up to 8k, but I reckon if I did swap out the capsual for a seat and got rid of things like the nosecone, front docking port and rear intakes it'll be damn close! Despite my blatent air hogging I do tend to draw the line at cremating my Kerbals during re-entry, if it gets toasty it needs a comand pod IMHO. :) Saying that I wouldn't be against a drone version but I don't know, it's just not quite the same without a Kerbal to keep you company, I mean there's no-one to talk to about cricket for starters. :sealed:

I love this ship, thanks so much Cupcake! Got mine tricked out with science, liquid RCS, and buddy seats.

Sweet! :D I was gonna do an RCS version but in the end I was too scared to rotate the craft in case in the intake balance messed up! The KSP build system works in weird ways sometimes. :rolleyes: Anyway, good luck with your scienceing, let me know how you get on! :)

Cupcake...

Do you still have the craft file for your Sovereign Tug? I've got some ideas for something similar and didn't feel like re-inventing the wheel.

Edit to add:

I added my RCS technique and decided to upload it in case it might inspire you in future projects. It's simple, yet effective. I use the liquid fuel version. Horrible ISP, but I don't have to think about monoprop, both in design, and refueling.

Here's a link to the Sov with a pair of my RCS pylons clipped inside the wings, as centered (based on a 50% fueled craft, so slight-slight torque when fully fueled or depleted.) in all directions as KSP will allow, and an RCS pylon sub-assembly craft file (goes in the subassemblies folder) so you can see it without zooming and panning inside the Sov.

http://bit.ly/1wzYIbO

Looking at a placed pylon, you can easily target the cubic strut in the middle that everything is mounted on for movement/tweaking. Even though the thrusters' mass affects center of balance/torque, I don't see them adding to the actual total mass of the ship. Maybe you know why some parts do that, but I don't.

One final note, the RCS thrusters pull fuel differently than your carefully designed engines. I can't say if they'll upset fore/aft balance if used in large doses, so flyer beware! :)

Hope someone finds this useful.

Elix

Edited by Elix

Hey man, love your videos. The sense of adventure and freedom is palpable. Poor Jeb looked so dejected at having to be back home. :( Great, great storytelling, even if it's just a simple there-and-back. The music was perfect (and pop isn't usually my thing). Checking out Colour Coding right now.

Edited by FleshJeb

Do you still have the craft file for your Sovereign Tug? I've got some ideas for something similar and didn't feel like re-inventing the wheel.

Edit to add:

I added my RCS technique and decided to upload it in case it might inspire you in future projects. It's simple, yet effective. I use the liquid fuel version. Horrible ISP, but I don't have to think about monoprop, both in design, and refueling.

Here's a link to the Sov with a pair of my RCS pylons clipped inside the wings, as centered (based on a 50% fueled craft, so slight-slight torque when fully fueled or depleted.) in all directions as KSP will allow, and an RCS pylon sub-assembly craft file (goes in the subassemblies folder) so you can see it without zooming and panning inside the Sov.

http://bit.ly/1wzYIbO

Looking at a placed pylon, you can easily target the cubic strut in the middle that everything is mounted on for movement/tweaking. Even though the thrusters' mass affects center of balance/torque, I don't see them adding to the actual total mass of the ship. Maybe you know why some parts do that, but I don't.

One final note, the RCS thrusters pull fuel differently than your carefully designed engines. I can't say if they'll upset fore/aft balance if used in large doses, so flyer beware! :)

Hope someone finds this useful.

Elix

Thanks man! I've got a bit of a busy week ahead but I'll try and take a look over the weekend. Oh and BTW the tanker is now in the download folder. :)

Hey man, love your videos. The sense of adventure and freedom is palpable. Poor Jeb looked so dejected at having to be back home. :( Great, great storytelling, even if it's just a simple there-and-back. The music was perfect (and pop isn't usually my thing). Checking out Colour Coding right now.

Wow, that's really great to hear thankyou! It always makes my day getting feedback like this. :D

Cupcake...

• 1 month later...

Wow. That is one incredible craft. I'll download it as soon as I can get my CPU to work. What recording mod did you use in the video? Nice work getting to Dres with a DSTO. Also, does the truck come with the craft?

-DMSP

That is one ...attractive... looking dropship right there :)

(Srsly forum, y u censor me?)

Thanks man! :D

Wow. That is one incredible craft. I'll download it as soon as I can get my CPU to work. What recording mod did you use in the video? Nice work getting to Dres with a DSTO. Also, does the truck come with the craft?

-DMSP

Hey there, I use FRAPS for video capture and Premier CS5 for editing. :) Oh, and the truck's included in the download folder. :wink: Enjoy!

Cupcake...

I saw "cruiser" in the title, and given that any real life cruiser less than 100 years old is on the order of nine thousand tons, I was expecting something that would carry at least an orange tank of cargo. I was ever so slightly disappointed, but the stacked engine configuration was cool.

Hey there, I use FRAPS for video capture and Premier CS5 for editing. :) Oh, and the truck's included in the download folder. :wink: Enjoy!

Cupcake...

Alright, I'll get both of those things when my CPU works again. I can't wait to have fun with this. I'm sad to see this is your last vid for a while, I have been watching your videos secretly and I really like them. The song "Kick" was so good I just downloaded it :D. I really hope 1.0 will not ruin your drop-ships, and if it does, just get 'em up on a lifter with some fairings. If that won't work, just move on to bases. I can see your potential in base building :).

Someone posted on YouTube that you should backup and archive your .90 save(s), and I +1 that. Good luck!

-DMSP

I saw "cruiser" in the title, and given that any real life cruiser less than 100 years old is on the order of nine thousand tons, I was expecting something that would carry at least an orange tank of cargo. I was ever so slightly disappointed, but the stacked engine configuration was cool.

Fairline-Squadron-78-luxury-charter-yacht-XKE.jpeg

This was more the sort of cruiser I had in mind! :cool:

Alright, I'll get both of those things when my CPU works again. I can't wait to have fun with this. I'm sad to see this is your last vid for a while, I have been watching your videos secretly and I really like them. The song "Kick" was so good I just downloaded it :D. I really hope 1.0 will not ruin your drop-ships, and if it does, just get 'em up on a lifter with some fairings. If that won't work, just move on to bases. I can see your potential in base building :).

Someone posted on YouTube that you should backup and archive your .90 save(s), and I +1 that. Good luck!

-DMSP

You don't need to watch my videos in secret! Invite the family over (granny with love them), in fact invite the whole street! :) Anyway, hopefully 1.0 won't be too much a game breaker but even if it is I guess I'll just have to adapt like everyone else. :wink:

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.