32-bit versus 64-bit

Mast

That's just the name of the infrastructure, nothing more. 64-bit is still twice the amount of bits (and therefore so many much more larger, every bit doubling the size and all) than 32-bit.

This guy, right here. 64 bit IS x86, and so is 32 bit. Saying your CPU is x86 is like saying the processor in your phone is ARM.

I have 45 mods installed(I'm sure some must have more than that). Some of them (like FAR and TAC life support) says that they don't support 64bit because of instability.

Well, I have ATM agressive, tweaked to compressed textures even more, but it's still crashing at least once/hour in 32bit.....

I think I'll try to run the 64bit .exe, can,t be worse that what it's doing now lol

@Rarity, I wasn't even drunk, where the heck did that post come from... Deleted it for being worthless.

Anyway, I'm rather surprised by the spread of opinions about 32/64. I'd have thought there's a general opinion about one being more awesome than the other and it seems to differ between players.

I've been able to do alot with the 32bit executable. 64 was nice, but im not going to bother with it any longer. You'd be surprised what you can cram into that little amount of ram. You can have tons of mods, but it takes hours of fat trimming. I only use the mild ATM as well I don't like the blurry textures. And if I could help it id like to ditch it all together. For my next install im going to look into converting textured to .DDS and using the plugin. Supposedly that can reduce memory just as good as ATM ( or along with with it? not sure.. ) and loading times. Theres also that WIP Load on Demand, but its not been worked on. Hopefully someday progress resumes on that. Then theres openGL and Dx11. The later of which id hope would get better support in the new Unity. Because if Dx11 can become the standard then that's all one would need. 40% ram savings.. just need to loose the graphical glitches. OpenGL is nice. It opens up alot of space for addons, but that has its shares of graphical issues as well. The big one being the performance hit.

Edited by Motokid600

This guy, right here. 64 bit IS x86, and so is 32 bit. Saying your CPU is x86 is like saying the processor in your phone is ARM.

Not exactly. the x86_64 instruction set is a superset of the x86 instruction set, there are extra registers, extra SMM registers, the NX bit, new addressing modes, etc. The page table structure is also (of course) different. It's a lot more than just the ability to address extra memory.

Also, 64-bit is just an address/word length, there are 64-bit ARM processors and 64-bit x86_64 processors, which are totally different instruction sets. The DEC Alpha was also 64-bit... and very different from both ARM and x86_64.

• 3 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.