First landing on Hale, epic view of Sarnus!

sedativechunk

So I just landed on Hale, a moon that is part of the outer planets mod pack. VERY HARD moon to get to, enormously low gravitational influence, my CM orbiting the moon also collided into a mountain while I was descending in my lander. ;.; Now my Kerbal has to get back to the mothership under it's own limited consumables (including life support). I don't think Errik Kerman minds so much though, he got an awesome photograph!

2015_02_03_00001.jpg

Wow, so you've made it! Congrats, good work! :)

Yes, it has an awesome view, and you don't even need a lander for it; jetpack is more than enough cause this satellite is lighter than Gilly. Navigation around Hale (and Ovok, to some extent) is more like rendezvousing with a spacecraft than actual landing.

Try to jump and record the maximum height.

Oh yes, this planet was VERY hard to get into orbit around. Basically during my approach, Hale was catching up to me, so I started to increase my velocity to match it before encounter. It was difficult, I had to try it over several times, life support lasted me but it was tough.

• 1 year later...
On 2/3/2015 at 3:02 AM, sedativechunk said:

So I just landed on Hale, a moon that is part of the outer planets mod pack. VERY HARD moon to get to, enormously low gravitational influence, my CM orbiting the moon also collided into a mountain while I was descending in my lander. ;.; Now my Kerbal has to get back to the mothership under it's own limited consumables (including life support). I don't think Errik Kerman minds so much though, he got an awesome photograph!

Yeah, IIRC, Hale's SOI is only about 28km wide so it's hard to hit and very hard to stop before you go out the other side, if you come to it from a low Sarnus Pe capture burn.  I find the easiest way to get to Hale is from Orvok.

On the plus side for your stranded Kerbal, escape velocity at Hale is only 16m/s, easily within jetpack capability.  The problem is, orbital velocity is only like 5-7m/s, so it.....takes......forever...... to rendezvous there.  If you're on a time constraint due to life support, try to rendezvous directly from the ground as the ship is passing overhead.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.