aerodynamics guide

Mojavi-Viper

Where can I find a good guide over aerodynamics in this game? I have launched several rockets so I have began making planes and such. What I am wondering is how the lift rating of items translate? I have made a few planes but it seems like the wings help little to lift up the plane, if at all. Am I at the right angle to allow proper lift of the air(45 deg.)? I have no idea. I am lost on what to build properly.

The aerodynamic model is currently very primitive and not much has been done.

For drag, I would recommend this topic. It is an analysis of the highest altitude with a given rocket launched straight up, and handles drag fairly well. As I recall, the drag formula is:

D = 1/2*p*V^2*CD*m,

where

D is drag

p is density (closest I could get to rho :P)

V is velocity

CD is the mass-averaged Maximum Drag of the rocket

m is the mass

It\'s not the equation for drag in real life, but it\'s what\'s in the game right now. The density equation can be found in the above thread.

As for lift, I haven\'t been able to figure out how lift rating scales since I don\'t have the game\'s source code. I do believe that it scales with V^2 like drag, but I don\'t exactly know how. I also know that it scales linearly with the angle of attack (angle between your plane\'s pitch and the direction it\'s going), and found that if you can keep it at about ~25 degrees you get the best lift-to-drag ratio (L/D), and ~20 degrees should get you optimum distance for a plane (trade some efficiency for horizontal velocity). Also, I think the massive wings are the best for L/D, so try using those.

If your plane isn\'t gaining altitude and you\'re at an angle of 45 degrees, your plane stalled and you\'ve pitched up way too much and you\'re wasting fuel fighting drag and carrying the weight of the plane (at 45 degrees, half of your thrust is being used to hold up the plane ;)). Try making your wings larger and get more horizontal velocity. You may want to watch White Owl\'s tutorials. They\'re quite informative.

Hope this helps.

In its current state, the game ignores aerodynamics completely, AFAIK. Aerodynamic drag is actually calculated with reference to mass, instead of surface area as it should, AFAIK.

Also, Ninja\'d with the proper explanation.

With thanks for the earlier link... I\'ll add that it might not actually be worth getting too very concerned about figuring out exactly how the lift/drag relationship works in the game right now, because I believe that system is supposed to see some changes sometime soon. Just speculating, since there was talk about more proper wing behavior back before C7 went to work directly for Squad.

That\'s actually why I stopped collecting data; no point in collecting obsolete data, though collecting it for the people with the demo might still be helpful if the demo isn\'t retrofitted with the new aerodynamics. I guess we\'ll just have to wait until 0.15 is out and see. ;)

As for lift, I haven\'t been able to figure out how lift rating scales since I don\'t have the game\'s source code. I do believe that it scales with V^2 like drag, but I don\'t exactly know how. I also know that it scales linearly with the angle of attack (angle between your plane\'s pitch and the direction it\'s going), and found that if you can keep it at about ~25 degrees you get the best lift-to-drag ratio (L/D), and ~20 degrees should get you optimum distance for a plane (trade some efficiency for horizontal velocity). Also, I think the massive wings are the best for L/D, so try using those.

If your plane isn\'t gaining altitude and you\'re at an angle of 45 degrees, your plane stalled and you\'ve pitched up way too much and you\'re wasting fuel fighting drag and carrying the weight of the plane (at 45 degrees, half of your thrust is being used to hold up the plane ;)). Try making your wings larger and get more horizontal velocity. You may want to watch White Owl\'s tutorials. They\'re quite informative.

Hope this helps.

In the default game, wings neither stall or scale lift with v^2. Lift scales simply with v, which I\'ve talked to HarvesteR about and he\'s confirmed that\'s a bug that exists. This is why you find it so difficult to stay up at high altitude and speed, yet so easy to stay up at absurdly low speed and altitude. Optimum L/D is going to vary greatly with velocity and altitude as a result of this, and almost as much with the design of the craft, so you have to just follow a rule of 'if it has trouble staying up, fly lower or add more wings.'