3d printed Jeb

storm2k5

I finished my 3d printed Jeb, and thought I share it here. It's quite large (and heavy) as you can see from the 1cm-grid of the cutting pad.

It became very clear to me why Kerbals topple down so easily; 70% of their mass is in their heads! :)

It could use more detailed painting, but I'm bad at it, so I leave it like this.

DSC00074.JPG

DSC00075.JPG

DSC00078.JPG

DSC00079.JPG

The mesh for Jeb was extracted from game using 3d Ripper DX and cleaned up in Netfabb Private.

The different parts (body, head, helmet, visor and stand) were printed on a Form-1+ (www.formlabs.com) using clear resin.

This is how a part (the body) looks when coming out of the printer:

2014-06-15%2015.26.52.jpg

After removing the support structure and cleaning it up a bit:

2014-06-15%2018.20.20.jpg

And after sanding, applying spray filler, sanding, base coating:

2014-06-15%2022.06.14.jpg

This is the rest of Jeb, prepared for painting:

2014-06-16%2022.30.05.jpg

I also printed his visor, sorry for the blurry pic (before polishing):

2014-06-17%2001.08.57.jpg

I also made him a stand, so he can float around with his jetpack (also 3d printed, except the brass connector. Base airbrushed black)

2014-06-19%2023.24.02.jpg

And here he is, still unpainted on his stand:

2014-06-19%2023.23.02.jpg

From here, I airbrushed it white, masked and airbrushed the red and black on his helmet. I used a brush for the rest.

Hope you enjoyed

storm.

The big eye is on the wrong side.

Department: R&D

Dear Sir or Madam

We regretfully inform you that during the last manufacturing of new test pilots our intern Bob forgot to apply the mirroring on the source files. As a consequence specimen #32998432 was built mirrored at the x-z plane.

We generously offer you a 50% discount for specimen #32998432, due to his horribly mutated facial features and the fact his jetpack's monoprollant tanks are at the wrong side. (Jet pack control issues may occur)

As a measure to reduce incidents like this, may we suggest that you improve on flight safety and invest in proper ICBM. The strain on our company to keep up production rates sufficient might otherwise lead to further accidents like this.

Seriously though, nice find :)

This is really awesome!

I'm sorry for being so nit-picky, but there are a couple of things I would do if I were you...

Do you have matte green paint for the head? It looks as if Jeb's glossy, which isn't really a bad thing... but it's just a little something.

Also, your model of Jeb doesn't have hair (or at least not the very distinctive widow's peak that Kerbals have). I don't know whether it's because the radiation of space is getting to him, but you might want to go in and paint that too.

I think that Jeb's legs would look a lot better with that one pretty thin red stripe that goes around them.

I know, I know. I'm being really picky.

Other than that, this is a great work of art. I'll give you some +Rep now, and some more +Rep if you make those changes :wink:

-Upsilon

This is really awesome!

I'm sorry for being so nit-picky, but there are a couple of things I would do if I were you...

Do you have matte green paint for the head? It looks as if Jeb's glossy, which isn't really a bad thing... but it's just a little something.

Also, your model of Jeb doesn't have hair (or at least not the very distinctive widow's peak that Kerbals have). I don't know whether it's because the radiation of space is getting to him, but you might want to go in and paint that too.

I think that Jeb's legs would look a lot better with that one pretty thin red stripe that goes around them.

I know, I know. I'm being really picky.

Other than that, this is a great work of art. I'll give you some +Rep now, and some more +Rep if you make those changes :wink:

-Upsilon

Thank you!

The gloss you see on his green noggin' is actually from his transparent visor :)

I debated myself about the hair thing and what technique to use to paint his hair and decided against giving him hair just because I think I wouldn't get it right. I think he looks ok bald :)

Regarding the thin red stripe: Yes I know, had to leave away features like this. While I could easily paint it on the outside, the space between his leg isn't that big and it's kinda hard to get in there. I might get thinner and more flexible masking tape one day and paint those stripes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.