Constructing a SpaceCrane, help is required!

So, I was trying to construct a sub-assembly for a ship/station part that spins freely and has a boom with 1-2 types of docking ports attached to it. Currently, it needs to be big enough to move this:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

A 40 part one-manned skiff/shuttle type thing, that is reliant on a larger craft for transport. It has a top docking port with the new inline clamp.

This was my first attempt:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Second attempt I added a disk on the bottom to hopefully stop the flip.

Then the hanger-bay sperated from the monopropelent base...

jWsggbt.jpg

NZxGtZt.jpg

6TjfC0Z.jpg

So, can someone give me a smallish compact and part efficient gimbaling system that lets me swing left and right to move a decent sized object of about 4.5 to 5 tons on and off the craft while in orbit?

It is purely for the rule of cool, I can do without, but I wanted to try first and ask you, the community, on how to solve this dilemma.

I know, but I also wanted to keep it stock, with the rest of my craft :/

Seems cooler when you can do something like this in stock, people don't expect it.

It's certainly a lot more impressive getting stock designs to work! If you're not into mods, well, that puts me out of suggestions.

Good luck!

I know, but I also wanted to keep it stock, with the rest of my craft :/

Seems cooler when you can do something like this in stock, people don't expect it.

Yeah... but this is for a centrifuge, right? To use in space? And you decouple the rotor. Well, the very first time you hit timewarp, say goodbye to your rotor assembly, because it will float free ghosting through the rest of the ship. Ditto for when you leav it on rails, each independant ship will follow a slightly different trajectory and they won't constrain each other with physics unloaded. One of the stock limitations that made me ditch the concept long ago.

Rune. Get IR and save yourself the trouble, if you want to really use it in game.

Yeah it's time they put bearings in stock game.

Anyway, the problem is not your construction, the problem sits in the configuration files of the new MK3 parts. Breakingforce and Breakingtorque are set ridiculously low. Since the shape is a direct copy of B9's work, compare his values with the ones Squad has chosen.

Well, maybe I can have a jr docking port it can spin on? All I want is something that can rotate 90 degrees to move something from the center of the ship to outside of it. :/

Thanks for the heads up about the timewarp. Forgot about dannys video where he phases through stuff.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.