[Computers] Farewell, Microsoft!

cicatrix

This does it! After messing up with Windows 10 Technical Preview, a friend of mine pointed me into its EULA. Here's a direct quote:

«Microsoft collects information about you, your devices, applications and networks, and your use of those devices, applications and networks. Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage.»

It appears, that Windows 7 is the last operating system from Microsoft that I would ever use.

In the next version they would probably oblige me to send them reports about my daily activities. No more Microsoft for me. Switching to open source.

It's a Technical Preview. It's for testing, not for normal use. The whole point of a technical preview is to collect data and feedback about how people use it. If you don't want to send feedback, then don't use beta software!

It's a Technical Preview. It's for testing, not real work. The whole point of a technical preview is to collect data and feedback about how people use it. If you don't want to send feedback, then don't use beta software!

Please, can you clarify, just how exactly my name, my e-mail, my interests, my sms and internet history help to IMPROVE the operating system performance?

The same way Facebook, Google, and Apple "improve your experience" by learning about you.

If you don't want to have any data collected, I think you're going to have to use a dumbphone, Linux and set up your own alternatives for email, cloud storage, etc...

The same way Facebook, Google, and Apple "improve your experience" by learning about you.

If you don't want to have any data collected, I think you're going to have to use a dumbphone, Linux and set up your own alternatives for email, cloud storage, etc...

I try minimize what Google can collect by not submitting anything that is absolutely essential, I'm not using real name, I don't have a Facebook account (same with any other social network) and I don't use Apple products :) I'm relatively anonymous. Yes, I'm switching to Linux and all my data in clouds is AES encrypted :). The next step would be to use VPN to mask my IP address, it appears :)

Who's a paranoid? Not me, certainly. Really, my personal information is what it says - PERSONAL.

Or you simply don't have to browse while being logged on. :rolleyes:

Nobody is forcing you to be logged on unless you want to comment on YouTube, and Google+ is an annoying piece of crap that has been shoved down our throats.

With little discipline and effort you can surf the web just like you used to do before.

I'm fairly sure the EULA for windows 7 was the same.

makes no difference, you can't hide your identity online regardless of what you do, the idea of online anonymity is mostly just a fallacy put around by intelligence operatives.

everything can be monitored, everything can be traced

I'm fairly sure the EULA for windows 7 was the same.

makes no difference, you can't hide your identity online regardless of what you do, the idea of online anonymity is mostly just a fallacy put around by intelligence operatives.

everything can be monitored, everything can be traced

True, 100% anonimity is impossible, but that doesn't mean you have to chose between: a) zero and B) 100%.

If you use Google's services while being logged on, it will collect data. If you don't, and you don't have a static IP, what can it trace? It can't. Only if someone wants to trace you will your activities be monitored. There are simple ways to avoid passive collection of data. Don't log on, clean history, change IP on regular basis.

True, 100% anonimity is impossible, but that doesn't mean you have to chose between: a) zero and B) 100%.

If you use Google's services while being logged on, it will collect data. If you don't, and you don't have a static IP, what can it trace? It can't. Only if someone wants to trace you will your activities be monitored. There are simple ways to avoid passive collection of data. Don't log on, clean history, change IP on regular basis.

Yes that's good advice, there are a few plugins for Firefox that can help stop passive tracking too, like ghostery

I'm sure there will be alternatives for other browsers too

Or you simply don't have to browse while being logged on. :rolleyes:

Nobody is forcing you to be logged on unless you want to comment on YouTube, and Google+ is an annoying piece of crap that has been shoved down our throats.

With little discipline and effort you can surf the web just like you used to do before.

It's not just browsing logged/unlogged. Win10 records all your keystrokes, as far as I understand, including your passwords, etc. Yes, it has a built-in keylogger you have no way to turn off.

- - - Updated - - -

There are still cookies.

Really? Where did you come by that information?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/preview-privacy-statement

For example, when you:

• install or use Programme software and services, we may collect information about your device and applications and use it for purposes such as determining or improving compatibility (e.g., to help devices and apps work together),
  • when you use voice input features like speech-to-text, we may collect voice information and use it for purposes such as improving speech processing (e.g., to help the service better translate speech into text),
  • when you open a file, we may collect information about the file, the application used to open the file and how long it takes to use it for purposes such as improving performance (e.g., to help retrieve documents more quickly), or
  • when you input text, handwrite notes or ink comments, we may collect samples of your input to improve these input features, (e.g., to help improve the accuracy of auto-complete and spellcheck).

Refusing to even have fb in case someone finds out who you are strikes me as a little paranoid...

That's not the case. I'm not using it because I am a paranoid but simply because I don't see any reason for me to use it. Never was impressed by it and never had a desire to join. I have Skype and e-mail. Facebook simply has nothing to offer me that I wanted that bad.

That's not the case. I'm not using it because I am a paranoid but simply because I don't see any reason for me to use it. Never was impressed by it and never had a desire to join. I have Skype and e-mail. Facebook simply has nothing to offer me that I wanted that bad.

The only reason I use it is it makes it very convenient to organise events. Without it you don't get invited places. :/

"May collect samples of your input" is quite a bit different from "records all your keystrokes". The keyboard app I use on my phone does something similar to improve accuracy.

But if it makes you uncomfortable, by all means don't use it.

The difference is rather subtle and from a legal standpoint IF they (accidentally) collect your username and password and use them you shouldn't object because you agreed with this yourself.

- - - Updated - - -

The only reason I use it is it makes it very convenient to organise events. Without it you don't get invited places. :/

Always a nice and stylish thing to have:

2014_A5_Daily_Diary_Agenda_Notebook.jpg

Using Windows 10 will be a very bad idea. Why do you think they will be giving it away "for free" to legit Win7 and Win8 users in form of an upgrade?

Nothing in this world you'll get for free. Everything has it's price. In this case the price is your privacy. Live with it or use Linux.

Win7 is the last Windows version i'll ever use too, they last day they support Win7 in form of updates will be the last day i will be using Windows.

The difference is rather subtle and from a legal standpoint IF they (accidentally) collect your username and password and use them you shouldn't object because you agreed with this yourself.

Somehow I don't find that prospect likely enough to be worrisome. But as I said, if it concerns you by all means avoid it.

Using Windows 10 will be a very bad idea. Why do you think they will be giving it away "for free" to legit Win7 and Win8 users in form of an upgrade?

Nothing in this world you'll get for free. Everything has it's price. In this case the price is your privacy. Live with it or use Linux.

Win7 is the last Windows version i'll ever use too, they last day they support Win7 in form of updates will be the last day i will be using Windows.

unfortunately Linux and gaming don't mix too well, I was thinking maybe of giving STEAM OS a try