Kerbal Insanity

Got_milk?

KERBAL INSANITY!

Hey everyone, new to the community on here and to KSP in general, but never has a game captured my imagination and attention like this one.

This post is not so much a request, as I plan to start making this mod myself (as my skills improve), but is an open invitation to anyone to get on board whether as a developer or just with suggestions and requests of their own.

The premise of this mod is to add a variable/resource (please excuse any errors in classifications, as I am still figuring out how I am going to code this) called Insanity.

It will accumulate over time on all manned Kerbal missions resulting in the Kerbal going insane! And the loss of the mission.

It is an attempt to simulate the rigours of long missions in isolation and/or cramped conditions.

It is also an excuse to add more functional modules to your larger ships/stations/bases that have a purpose.

How will your Kerbals stay sane you ask?

Well my current aim for this mod is to add baseline mitigation of the accumulation of this resource/variable to all existing crew modules, the value of this is yet to be determined but I was thinking of 1 Kerbal months worth with the MK1 Command pod. I also plan to add new parts that mitigate this accumulation further.

The Meat of the Mod

A new variable called insanity (still learning the mechanics of Unity and refreshing my knowledge of C so please bare with me with any errors)

Updated configurations with existing parts using this new variable.

A consequence of the accumulation of this variable... Kerbal Insanity (insert Armageddon reference here :P)

6 new parts to mitigate the accumulation of insanity, two sets of 3 parts ranging from size 1 - 3, one set for space bases/vehicles and the other for grounded bases/vehicles

IVA's for these parts.

Support for integration with other common and popular mods, ones of particular interest to me are TAClifesupport and the Modulat Kolonization System.

Further ideas open for discussion (although it is all open at this point)

Sound effects? What happens when your Kerbals go insane?

The modules themselves, I am pretty set of the smallest being a crew cabin, the IVA will show two beds but the part will only support one Kerbal to account for the pilot/'s, more than one works on a crew rotation system. For the larger modules so far my ideas are a mess hall (with TACls supplies?) an observation deck for space and a rec room for the ground. Totally open for suggestions here.

I would like the modules to be upgradeable but keep a low part count, I have seen this done in other mods but am yet to research how, similar to the way you can customise parts. To allow for integration into career mode as the difficulty level increases and add more flavour to the tech side.

A science function where your Kerbals can report on their sanity level, diffrent reports linked to a percentage of insanity accumulated (if this is possible) the idea being a psychological study of the effects of prolonged space flight, diminishing returns on science gained but never completely (could be abused as science spam but this can always be taken out or be an option)

Integration with other mods, for example the Kolonization mod parts also mitigating this, possibly in a much larger way.

The effects of multiple Kerbals, do they take up more space, or provide company?

Integration with remotetech, keeping a link to your Kerbal mitigating insanity as a link to your Kerbals' loved ones?

Got a whole section on inspiration if anyone is interested, this is definitely not an original idea, if there is such a thing.

One advice though: Try to avoid the traps of some life support mods - don't create a problem where you can simply solve or migrate by adding a part to your craft. It just turns things into a chore of micromanagement and remembering to add things. You want a system, like TAC with MKS, where sustainable life support is complex, but very rewarding. .

EDIT: OK how about this for a system, a central control unit, lets call it the reflection module (or possibly communications room, you'll see where I am going with this)

Then you can have 4 sub variables that contribute to making sanity along the lines of rest, relaxation, fitness and study.

These could then have their own corresponding modules of various scale, or just have a single scale say these parts being Size 1, the central being Size 2 or 3. The purpose of these modules will be to generate the base variable over time by occupying them with a Kerbal (a bit like how station science requires Kerbals to do research)

The idea of it being a communications room would be to include Remotetech as a dependency and you can only 'harvest' your processed sanity by reporting home to Kerbin.

You could then have the parts individually or I am thinking of designing these to be radially docked or attached to the central unit (maybe not dependent on this) but can work either way.

I would configure each part to support one Kerbal so you have to rotate each Kerbal, is it possible for this to be done? Would the it be possible to just have one Kerbal go insane or would it be shipwide effect? Maybe this part can be an afterthought.

What do you think?

Edited by Got_milk?

Well, this is of course not an original idea, and several concept threads has popped up. However, no one has actually made a playable version yet, so you are welcomed to try to be the first one to create a sanity mod for KSP beyond the concept stage.

One advice though: Try to avoid the traps of some life support mods - don't create a problem where you can simply solve or migrate by adding a part to your craft. It just turns things into a chore of micromanagement and remembering to add things. You want a system, like TAC with MKS, where sustainable life support is complex, but very rewarding. Though that might be too much for a first mod. Look forward to what you have in store.

Check KeepFit out as that is similar to your idea, although more about keeping kerbals fit with excercise so their muscles won't degrade from being in zero G for too long.

Thanks for your suggestions RainDreamer, I imagine this will be a long WIP and will probably create some mini mods first to explore the process and mechanics.

I especially like your idea of rewarding micromanagement that is engaging over that which can become monotonous, and will keep this in mind.

And I will look into that KeepFit mod, sounds interesting.

I will hopefully get some concept art uploaded and some models over the next few weeks, as that is where my main skills lie. My coding is amateur at best but improving daily. The whole process is a great way for me to expand and explore these skills as well as learning new ones.

Edited by Got_milk?
Moved up

Sounds ok so far. You should check out the ideas from KerbSocial and CrewQ(check he original post). They both have excellent ideas about how sanity could be implement through kerbal interaction and with parts.

Things to think about in relation to sanity: Communication (you already got this), Entertainment, Crew interaction (might just require two or more kerbals occupy the same part? Or more?), Living space(people will go insane after years of being stuck together with other people without personal space), Personality (would Courage/Stupidness do anything?), Veterancy (experienced kerbals will take much longer to stress out and go insane),

• 4 weeks later...

I have ummmmed and arrrrrred over the idea of sanity mods, and there is a thread I started with some of my ideas. The problems I have run into are:

• How to stop it being another "add this part to win" mod. So the risk is that your mod introduces a new gameplay problem that is solved by adding a part. It turns out that this does not make the game more fun - it just increases the size of your booster.
  • What to do when kerbals loose their sanity? They could top themselves - but then this is the same as them dying because they ran out of food or oxygen. If they just dies when they run out of "sanity" then you might as well use a life support mod with a new resource called "sanity". It turns out that this will not make it much more fun either.
  • How do kerbal characteristics affect their sanity? I played around with this in my KerbalSocial idea, but it turns out that there is just a level of sanity that the kerbal tends-towards and then flat lines. It turns out that this is not much fun because the level is either acceptable or not in which case you either win or loose. Where is the gameplay challenge?
  • The alternative to sanity levels tending towards a level in a given situation is that that increase or decrease over time. If this is the case then decreasing sanity puts you back in the situation where you have got x days to complete you mission before you kerbal tops himself. Where is the fun in that? - It just limits which bodies you can reach.
  • Another problem is how to get sanity to respond to events? It would be nice if kerbals freaked out if they thought they did not have delta-v to get home, but how to implement this? How does it work with complex missions, resupplies, ISRU etc?
  • Another thought - is sanity related to physical space inside the pod? This interests me as it would relate to another mod of mine - ConnectedLivingSpace, however the problem does just boil down to another "add this part to win" game dynamic which is nothing new :(

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds ok so far. You should check out the ideas from KerbSocial and CrewQ(check he original post). They both have excellent ideas about how sanity could be implement through kerbal interaction and with parts.

Things to think about in relation to sanity: Communication (you already got this), Entertainment, Crew interaction (might just require two or more kerbals occupy the same part? Or more?), Living space(people will go insane after years of being stuck together with other people without personal space), Personality (would Courage/Stupidness do anything?), Veterancy (experienced kerbals will take much longer to stress out and go insane),

just to add a few more to your list:

• Seniority / rank?
  • Chain of command - who is the commander etc?

I have ummmmed and arrrrrred over the idea of sanity mods, and there is a thread I started with some of my ideas. The problems I have run into are:

• How to stop it being another "add this part to win" mod. So the risk is that your mod introduces a new gameplay problem that is solved by adding a part. It turns out that this does not make the game more fun - it just increases the size of your booster.
  • What to do when kerbals loose their sanity? They could top themselves - but then this is the same as them dying because they ran out of food or oxygen. If they just dies when they run out of "sanity" then you might as well use a life support mod with a new resource called "sanity". It turns out that this will not make it much more fun either.
  • How do kerbal characteristics affect their sanity? I played around with this in my KerbalSocial idea, but it turns out that there is just a level of sanity that the kerbal tends-towards and then flat lines. It turns out that this is not much fun because the level is either acceptable or not in which case you either win or loose. Where is the gameplay challenge?
  • The alternative to sanity levels tending towards a level in a given situation is that that increase or decrease over time. If this is the case then decreasing sanity puts you back in the situation where you have got x days to complete you mission before you kerbal tops himself. Where is the fun in that? - It just limits which bodies you can reach.
  • Another problem is how to get sanity to respond to events? It would be nice if kerbals freaked out if they thought they did not have delta-v to get home, but how to implement this? How does it work with complex missions, resupplies, ISRU etc?
  • Another thought - is sanity related to physical space inside the pod? This interests me as it would relate to another mod of mine - ConnectedLivingSpace, however the problem does just boil down to another "add this part to win" game dynamic which is nothing new :(

- - - Updated - - -

just to add a few more to your list:

• Seniority / rank?
  • Chain of command - who is the commander etc?

I

I have a workin WIP basic concept that I coined 'cabin craziness' in my AmpYear mod. Which started as finding something to use my luxury items in the crew cabin on. And Codepoet is right.. What dynamics is this adding to the game other than add more parts. You need something that is going to add to the gameplay otherwise it doesn't do much except force me to just add more parts to my ship (like life support mods do). My current thoughts on my cabin craziness in AmpYear is to scrap it and go back to what the mod was really about. power management and some cool new ION and PPT thrusters.

I

I have a workin WIP basic concept that I coined 'cabin craziness' in my AmpYear mod. Which started as finding something to use my luxury items in the crew cabin on. And Codepoet is right.. What dynamics is this adding to the game other than add more parts. You need something that is going to add to the gameplay otherwise it doesn't do much except force me to just add more parts to my ship (like life support mods do). My current thoughts on my cabin craziness in AmpYear is to scrap it and go back to what the mod was really about. power management and some cool new ION and PPT thrusters.

Yeah, I think the cabin craziness should be made into a seperate mod too. But works with AmpYear, of course. It should be look into deeper, as it has a lot of potential.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.