Am I 64 bit?

It's a strange question but is my game 64 bit? In the read me it says 0.90.0 beta. It has a warning about the instability of the 64 bit version.

I ask this because I was running the .24 version and it was a little buggy but still very playable. I had Deadly reentry and FAR on there and was very happy. So one day I ran the patcher thinking that there might be updates and improvements that I was missing out on. It upgraded me to .25. All of a student I get a warning on start up that it is not compatible with Deadly reentry and FAR? So I deleted those mods hoping that they would be upgraded to .25. Now I'm trying to upgrade to .90 I'm going through the mods from scratch to download the latest versions. It's saying on a lot of them that they work only on the 32 bit version. How can I tell what I'm running? Did the patcher change me from 32 to 64 when it upgraded me from .24 to .25? How can I tell if this .90 is 32 or 64? Is it available in 32 bit. All of these mods are listed as being .90 compatible. If I'm playing a 64 bit version of the game, first how can I tell, second how can I get a hold of a 32 bit version so that I can once again play with some of these mods I like?

And as you can tell I'm not very computer savvy so please try to speak slowly in small words.

Lee

How do you start KSP? What do you click on?

By default, the installer installs both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions, and then sets the desktop/Start Menu shortcuts to point to the 32-bit version. If you have, for some reason, changed this behaviour, then the version number in the lower-right corner of the main menu will say "(x64)" beside it to indicate that you are running the 64-bit version. If the version number doesn't say that, then you're running the 32-bit version.

The DRE and FAR incompatibility messages that you received have nothing to do with 32- or 64-bit. They instead refer to the fact that KSP's version went from 0.24 to 0.25.

Generally speaking, when KSP gets updated, mods need to be recompiled for the new version of KSP. There are exceptions, but DRE and FAR (as they make substantial changes to KSP mechanics and internals) are not among them. Think of KSP as being an apartment building, with various bits and pieces of its workings in particular apartments. Mods are built expecting certain bits to be in particular apartments, and given keys to those apartments so they can tinker with them. When KSP gets updated, maybe the locks change, maybe this component gets moved to that apartment, etc. etc. So a mod that worked on version 0.24 of KSP is likely not to work with 0.25, and even more likely not to work with 0.90.

So, when KSP gets a major version update, get updated copies of your favorite mods. It may take a week or two for the modmaker to finish getting his mod ready for the new version.

If you're still having doubts, just drop this .dll (MIT license) into your GameData folder, it'll tell you instantly as the game starts which version you're running from and if it's 64bit :P

Edited by stupid_chris
I know exactly what I did and this is exactly the kind of petty stuff you guys should not take a bother about.

If this is running on a Win64 system, a very simple way of telling is to look at the task manager. It will say "KSP.exe *32" or "KSP.exe (32 bit)" if you're running the 32-bit version (this is the case for ANY 32-bit software, btw).

If you're running on a Win32 system, it will be running the 32-bit KSP (or not at all) ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.