K2 1.0.90.0 (4th March 2015) Double planet / moon size and orbits, stock feel.

Paul Kingtiger

As an experiment I wanted to see how much you could scale up the Kerbol system and keep everything else stock.

I ended up with 2x larger than stock (planet and orbit radius) which makes the game slightly harder but still looks and feel stock. You can easily play this scale with a stock install in career mode, it take ~5300ÃŽâ€v to get to a circular 75km orbit. That's up from stock's 4500ÃŽâ€v.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

What has changed

All bodies twice the diameter

All orbits twice the semi-major axis

Solar power curve adjusted to provide stock values at new distances

Anomalies and easter eggs are buried under ground (this is hard coded and I can't do anything about it)

Texture and normal for Kerbin (medium res version)

What is the same as stock

Potato moons still potatoes

Atmosphere height and density curve

Body rotation rates

The end result is a mod that works really well with otherwise stock KSP, even in career mode, but also plays nicely with modded installed. It's harder than stock KSP, but not massively so.

Download from:

Kerbal Stuff

https://github.com/Paul-kingtiger/K2/releases

Source code:

https://github.com/Paul-kingtiger/K2

Installation instructions included in the download (better documentation to come)

Licence

K2 IS A FORK OF 6.4X KERBOL

Created by Regex and Raptor831 and released as public domain. As such all the files and content in this mod, except those 3rd party mods and files specifically listed below are released under the public domain.

SCREEN SHOTS, IMAGES AND VIDEOS

You may create and publish screen shots, images and videos featuring Universal Storage running as part of KSP, including for commercial or financial gain. This does not include the texture image files, except when viewed ‘in-game’ as part of Kerbal Space Program.

Note: this license does not override or supersede any existing license regarding Kerbal Space Program or Squad

3RD PARTY MODS AND PLUG-INS PACKAGED WITH 64K AND COVERED BY THEIR OWN LICENCE

• Module Manager: CC share-alike license
  • Mini-AVC: GNU General Public License v3
  • Real Solar System: CC-BY-NC-SA
  • DDS Loader MIT

Edited by Paul Kingtiger

First version out.

This is built from 64K 1.0.90.5 so it's already quite mature.

The mod and installation are much simpler than 64K because the size difference is relatively small.

Feedback welcomed!

https://github.com/Paul-kingtiger/K2/releases

- - - Updated - - -

ooo! sounds fun! will it also change science? Also, would it be with any other planet pack IE: OPM?

All atmospheres are the same height so science and contracts should work as in stock. Let me know if you find otherwise.

This is quite interesting for other reasons too... ferram4 once estimated that when running FAR, you'd get a dV cost to orbit equal to stock if Kerbin were about twice its stock size.

So this is the perfect opportunity to check if that's true :)

EDIT - you need some sort of license in your opening post.

Edited by Streetwind

The PQS and ScaledSpace terrain doesn't match on Minmus and Mun, probably others.

- - - Updated - - -

Too bad, that's what I'm currently playing :)

Least I can bang away on it until 1.0. ;)

Jumbo32 became a mess the moment I tried resetting Gilly, Bop, etc. I'd be happy if someone were to pick up the project themselves, though I'd prefer the not to use the "Jumbo" name.

The PQS and ScaledSpace terrain doesn't match on Minmus and Mun, probably others.

The only way around that is to have custom textures for everything, which I am working on for 64k and so will be able to port over to here when complete. It's not a high priority though and the difference is minor.

PQS and scaledspace should match when the .obj files get generated by RSS on startup afaik. Just be careful to include the right .obj files in the download.

I generated a full set of .obj files before uploading the mod, so they should be accurate.

[Correction]

The object files never made it to the upload which would explain why you're seeing this and I'm not. I'll update github.

Version 0.90.0.2 released

Fixes the above issue. This should be the last pre-release version.

https://github.com/Paul-kingtiger/K2/releases/tag/0.0.90.2

Edited by Paul Kingtiger

No, it should work with standard EVE

Sweet, trying it out when I get home :P

Edit: If this is installed on a game with a career save already in progress and ships in orbit (comm sats in keostationary and some mapping sats) will there orbits be adjusted properly or will things get interesting?

Edited by Akira_R
avoid double post

Things will get interesting in some cases. If they are in an orbit that would be inside the planet if it is double scaled, then say goodbye to that craft. I made a copy of my career save and installed K2, and my commsat network ended up very close to eachother (they were 90 deg apart before), but were in a stable orbit.

I need to work out what Kerbstationary orbit is now...

Would very much appreciate an alternate texture for Kerbin where the oceans don't light up like the daytime sky! Oceans look dark from orbit, and a darker texture on the oceans would make the whole thing way prettier.

I've added a link to the source code to the first post, the current version up there has darkened ocean, let me know what you think.

https://github.com/Paul-kingtiger/K2

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm about to install this, what is the atmo height? Since planet size is doubled would the height of the atmo be doubled as well, like 140km? Also I notice it says planet rotation speed unchanged, does this mean that a kerbin day is still 6 hours, so a keo orbit would be one with a period of 6 hours? I have never actually played with any rescalling mods before so this is all very new to me.

So I'm about to install this, what is the atmo height? Since planet size is doubled would the height of the atmo be doubled as well, like 140km? Also I notice it says planet rotation speed unchanged, does this mean that a kerbin day is still 6 hours, so a keo orbit would be one with a period of 6 hours? I have never actually played with any rescalling mods before so this is all very new to me.

Atmo height is the same as stock. Doubling the size of the planets is quite a small change as far as the atmosphere is concerned, as they don't scale the same. Really it should be a little bigger, but I wanted to keep everything as stock like as possible and changing the atmosphere height would cause issues with contracts.

Rotations are the same, again this means the planet rotates a little fast for it's size but it keeps everything simple and stock like. A stationary orbit will be 6 hours as before.

I'm about to push out an update that darkens the ocean of Kerbin from space, so it's closer to stock. I'll update this post when I have completed the update.

- - - Updated - - -

Version 1.0.90.0 released

This is the full release of the mod. The only change from the previous version is a darker ocean texture for Kerbin, so it looks closer to stock.

From here on in the mod is feature complete and I'll only be updating the mod to keep it compatible with the latest KSP version or to fix bugs.

Download from Github

https://github.com/Paul-kingtiger/K2/releases/tag/1.0.90.0

I'll be adding the mod to Kerbal Stuff shortly, maybe Curse as well.

Let me know if you encounter any problems, and also any FAR users, I'd be interested to know how the mod effects Delta V requirements.

Nice indeed. May try it out. How does it go with landed ships in current saves? I have a mining base on Vall. As for orbiting - I know, if their orbits are below new surfaces they are lost.

Is it Kethane-compatible? If yes, I'll test it with NEAR. Maybe even FAR, idk.

As for anomalies and such - it may be possible to use KerbTown or whatever it is called now to recreate them and add some more.

Nice indeed. May try it out. How does it go with landed ships in current saves? I have a mining base on Vall. As for orbiting - I know, if their orbits are below new surfaces they are lost.

Is it Kethane-compatible? If yes, I'll test it with NEAR. Maybe even FAR, idk.

As for anomalies and such - it may be possible to use KerbTown or whatever it is called now to recreate them and add some more.

I haven't tested Kethane, but I think Shimmy uses it with 64K, so if it works there, then it'll work here. I can test it easy enough.

The anomalies, could be fixed by Squad by snapping them to the terrain level, but it's probably very low down on their todo list.

For landed ships, I haven't tested it, but if you make a backup of your saves folder then you can give it a try.