[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

On 5/17/2016 at 6:22 AM, Galenmacil said:

Here are the two images showing the glitch. Note that this happen for about one frame or two. Very apparent when zoom in, zooming out or rotating the view quickly.

I tried a few things in the nVidia control panel. Toggling triple buffering, toggling anisotropic filtering and filtering quality, tried single GPU and multi-GPU rendering without effect. Then, I noticed something unusual: When the frame rate stays constant below 50 FPS, the glitching is not present. If it goes above it, even at 51, it starts to shows. At constant 100+ FPS it is a big visual breaker. Could the drawing of the ocean be limited to 50 FPS? Just a thought...

It's a known issue, some people have it worse than others (mostly high-end rigs).

On 5/17/2016 at 4:05 PM, selfish_meme said:

@blackrack I am trying to recreate the atmosphere on Venus as seen in the Venera photos, I am wondering how to bring the scattering in closer so it is more apparent. I have tried a few things but nothing seems to do what I want, also the how to change the tint of the scatter? Second picture is actual photo (probably brightened)

Take all the betaR values and multiply them by x2, x3 or x4 and so on until you find what works for you, also lower the postprocessing_depth value.

18 minutes ago, Galenmacil said:

So KSP build-in screenshot supersampling could be the culprit? Going to verify that...

The sunflare shader doesn't work with F1 supersampling, this will be fixed soon, ocean shader used to have the same issue and it's fixed now.

I don't know if this is a scatterer config issue or what (I know nothing about coding or mods!) but every now and then when I go from the Map View to Ship View and back again I get this (see image). It seems to happen randomly, whether I am in low-Kerbin orbit, or in space. At the time of writing I am using the latest version 0.0246. I'm running KSP v 1.1.1 and the Spacedock mod page says it's for 1.1.2 so I don't know if this is anything to do with it. Screenshot

Edited by TimKerbin

On 5/20/2016 at 8:22 AM, TimKerbin said:

I don't know if this is a scatterer config issue or what (I know nothing about coding or mods!) but every now and then when I go from the Map View to Ship View and back again I get this (see image). It seems to happen randomly, whether I am in low-Kerbin orbit, or in space. At the time of writing I am using the latest version 0.0246. I'm running KSP v 1.1.1 and the Spacedock mod page says it's for 1.1.2 so I don't know if this is anything to do with it. Screenshot

alt-F11 and click rebuild ocean.

7 hours ago, CodeFantastic said:

Sun flare doesn't work very well with KSP 64k :(, is there a way to change the size?

Follow the instructions in OP for adjusting sun flare for RSS I would assume. Maybe you'll have to experiment with some slightly different settings

2 hours ago, mcdouble said:

alt-F11 and click rebuild ocean.

Follow the instructions in OP for adjusting sun flare for RSS I would assume. Maybe you'll have to experiment with some slightly different settings

Could you be a bit more specific? 

EDIT

Looks like this

http://imgur.com/KpRnnhg

Edited by CodeFantastic

17 minutes ago, CodeFantastic said:

Could you be a bit more specific? 

EDIT

Looks like this

http://imgur.com/KpRnnhg

I was talking about this :

The sun flare is tailored for the stock system but resizing it for RSS is easy, Just replace these lines flaresSettings and spikesSettings in the sunflare.cfg file with this

//sunFlare.png
flareSettings = 0.45,1,0.085

//sunSpikes.png
spikesSettings = 0.6,1,0.1

but looking at your pic that may not be the problem, it looks like the actual disc of the sun is a lot larger than normal. Sorry I can't be of any more help, not sure how 64k works

I have been having the following visual glitches since a few days. Both of them appeared at the same time.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=689311857

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=689311828

I have the following mods installed:
- Kerbal Engineer Redux
- Kerbal Alarm Clock
- scatterer
- EVE
- Ferram Aerospace Research

I tried deleting all other mods and installing on a fresh copy of the game - the problem persisted.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Edit: I should also mention that I tried rebuilding the database already.

Edited by Omegaton
Additional information

During night I'm seeing some black artifacts moving over my launch site. Couldn't find anything similar in the thread so does anyone else have this and maybe knows which setting I can tweak to get rid of it?

http://imgur.com/2torZEi

You can see it a bit top and right of the VAB (to the launch pad) and left side of the runway.

[edit]

2 more screens where it's more clear to see.

http://imgur.com/a/8PFzR

[/edit]

Edited by TeiwazVIE

In the newest version of KSP and of this mod I am having a graphical glitch. I have been able to pinpoint Scatterer as the cause and haven't seen anyone else with this issue.

This first screenshot shows what the game looks like without Scatterer

K31CSk1.png

and now what the game looks like while running scatterer:

f72FQsm.png

so essentially this is the view from an inline cockpit with a part in front of it. As you can clearly see from the screenshots, when running the mod I get some weird see through transparency bug. If it helps, here are some of my other mods:

EVE (for clouds)

Tweakscale

Procedural Parts

I have been able to pinpoint scatterer as the mod causing the issue. I would appreciate if somone could help me out. (also, i'm not using any command line parameters)

3 hours ago, TeiwazVIE said:

During night I'm seeing some black artifacts moving over my launch site. Couldn't find anything similar in the thread so does anyone else have this and maybe knows which setting I can tweak to get rid of it?

http://imgur.com/2torZEi

You can see it a bit top and right of the VAB (to the launch pad) and left side of the runway.

[edit]

2 more screens where it's more clear to see.

http://imgur.com/a/8PFzR

[/edit]

Are their ratios 1:4:9?

(sorry, I couldn't resist. Bad Starwaster :sealed: )

4 hours ago, Starwaster said:

Are their ratios 1:4:9?

(sorry, I couldn't resist. Bad Starwaster :sealed: )

You know, that's from the written version.  The film's version obviously has greater ratios, maybe 1:8:27 ?  Maybe greater? :)

I don't seem to be getting the shaders, only the waves and atmosphere coloring. Do the other effects only work on PC? As it's supposed to look somewhat like this:

PkyliU3.png

but I'm only getting this:

Gw0XjVK.pngIt's still amazing, just a lot less amazing than it's supposed to be. I would really appreciate a prompt reply / solution to this.

1 hour ago, cy4n said:

I don't seem to be getting the shaders, only the waves and atmosphere coloring. Do the other effects only work on PC? As it's supposed to look somewhat like this:

PkyliU3.png

but I'm only getting this:

Gw0XjVK.pngIt's still amazing, just a lot less amazing than it's supposed to be. I would really appreciate a prompt reply / solution to this.

That first shot has been put through gemfx processing which is not part of scatterer. Also this is WIP so a lot of stuff is hown that is not released yet.

After building my new rig I was finally able to get this mod after hearing so much about it and seeing so many screen shots going "WHAT THE HECK IS THAT?  PRETTY".

And wow.  Like I'm blown away by how nice everything looks.  I've caught myself just admiring scenery and taking mental photographs (I don't do too many screenshots).

That gorgeous blur between atmosphere and space.  

Truly awesome this should so be integrated into stock as an option for those users with decent GPUs.  

23 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

That first shot has been put through gemfx processing which is not part of scatterer. Also this is WIP so a lot of stuff is hown that is not released yet.

Oh, that explains it. GEMFX only works on PCs. Any alternatives I could use? EDIT: Scatterer also appears to include DirectX11 shaders which don't work on my Mac.

Edited by Osmium

On 5/24/2016 at 9:39 PM, cheesykerb said:

In the newest version of KSP and of this mod I am having a graphical glitch. I have been able to pinpoint Scatterer as the cause and haven't seen anyone else with this issue.

Spoiler

This first screenshot shows what the game looks like without Scatterer

K31CSk1.png

and now what the game looks like while running scatterer:

f72FQsm.png

so essentially this is the view from an inline cockpit with a part in front of it. As you can clearly see from the screenshots, when running the mod I get some weird see through transparency bug. If it helps, here are some of my other mods:

EVE (for clouds)

Tweakscale

Procedural Parts

I have been able to pinpoint scatterer as the mod causing the issue. I would appreciate if somone could help me out. (also, i'm not using any command line parameters)

I also have a similar issue.

37 minutes ago, Calvin_Maclure said:

Can somebody explain to me what the ''load alternate d3d11 shadders'' does?

Thanks,

CM

I couldn't tell you details since I'm not really involved in working on this, but the moment I read that my brain parsed: 'Direct 3D 11' shaders.  So I would assume it loads an alternate set of Direct 3D shaders from DirectX 11.

Hi, loving scatterer Thanks!

I checked the OP for this but didn't notice it there, sometimes after coming out of map view I seem to be getting a massive planet shadow that is out in space rather than by a planet. at least that's the best way to explain it. it covers half my screen and is the size of a planet like kerbin for instance at around 100k orbit. I can only see a qtr of this shadow across my screen that's how big it is. if I goto KSC and back it goes away.

does anyone know what this is? is it known or is it settings or is it graphic hardware?

if no ones seen this before i'l post pics spec's etc.

23 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

That first shot has been put through gemfx processing

Do you happen to have a link to the gemfx configurations used? I tried it, but couldn't seem to get an effect like that