117 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of the movie?

• Out of this world 10 out of 10
    • Really, Really Good
    • It was an ok movie
    • I really did't like it that much
    • I absolutely hated it

18007564.jpg

The Martian by Andy Weir in my humble opinion, is one of the greatest REAL space books written in a long time. Now yes it is science fiction in the sense that it takes place in the not so distant future and it has not actually happened. However for anyone who has read it Andy Weir has gone through painstaking effort to ensure the realism of this book. The ships, the infrastructure, the characters, the situation are all very possible and stay well within reality while at the same time being extremely compelling.

Now since it is such a great story hollywood has sunk its ravenous teeth into this story. Obviously they are interested in it because it is a unique story and the ability to create a film that isn't a remake or derivative is an exciting prospect. It is or was directed by Ridley Scott and will star Matt Damon as Mark Watney, basically the exact opposite of his character in Interstellar *spoiler*. So I guess this is a book club discussion page? What are your thoughts? Have you read the book? Do you want to read the book? Are you excited about the movie? What do you think of the cast? I will post production pictures from the movie as they come out and more thoughts as the film gets closer. Anyway......discuss.

Everything so far...http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3025060/First-look-Matt-Damon-Jessica-Chastain-astronauts-set-Ridley-Scott-s-film-Martian.html

*Warning* this is a discussion thread so spoilers are allowed and should be expected below. If you plan on reading the book or seeing the movie and don't want to know what happens stop scrolling. You have been warned.

Official Cast of The Martian set be be released in November of this year. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3659388/

First pictures from set!!!! http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/23/matt-damon-the-martian-photos

First "Viral" trailer!! Farewell Ares 3

First look at the Hermes

the-martian-ares-3-trailer-0.jpg

First Teaser Trailer

Second "Viral" Trailer (The Right Stuff)

First Official Trailer (All Along the Watchtower)

Neil deGrasse Tyson Trailer for The Martian. GREAT VIEWS OF Hermes!!

Edited by sp1989

What gives me the most hope for this is that it's Ridley Scott. The plot aside, Alien was probably the most realistic depiction of future space travel for its time. In spite of the technological advancements, you could still feel the NASA influence. And the ambiance of space felt perfect. They captured the feeling of an empty, lonely void perfectly, and the space imagery was breathtaking.

On the other hand, it's Hollywood. The skeptic in me keeps screaming, "I-Robot."

Edited by vger

Here is a link to another thread on the topic. It was on the 4th page so I'm not surprised you didn't see it but might add well keep everything in one place.

In anycase with this releasing at the end of November has anyone seen any new details about the movie?

Brilliant book. The one minor gripe I had is that the NASA characters didn't feel particularly authentic, although my idea of an authentic NASA mission controller is probably rooted firmly in the 60s. Even so, their characterisation felt kinda 2-dimensional next to Watney's.

I'm honestly curious about how the film will handle the enormous amount of internal monologue from the book. It works fine in a story but is going to be difficult to get across on the screen I think. Then again, if anyone can do it, Ridley Scott can, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Brilliant book. The one minor gripe I had is that the NASA characters didn't feel particularly authentic, although my idea of an authentic NASA mission controller is probably rooted firmly in the 60s. Even so, their characterisation felt kinda 2-dimensional next to Watney's.

I'm honestly curious about how the film will handle the enormous amount of internal monologue from the book. It works fine in a story but is going to be difficult to get across on the screen I think. Then again, if anyone can do it, Ridley Scott can, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

maybe they would have watney's voice narrating the movie as if we were listening to his logs

They have to have his log! Its what makes that book so great! I mean he is alone on the planet he has to talk to someone. Plus with Ridley Scott there will be enormous sets and models. I can't wait to see the realization of the space infrastructure. I hope it doesn't look too futuristic. I pictured the infrastructure to look similar to the planned mars mission infrastructure. The SLS for example. Also I wonder what the resupply ship looks like. In the book they try sending him supply's and because of the haste it explodes after takeoff. Wouldn't it be cool to see an SLS blow up? I know it would probably be an Atlas V or something like that. My main point is i hope its real NASA infrastructure no fantasy over done futuristic stuff.

I hope so too, although I'm almost certain that realistic near-future infrastructure will be a big part of the film. After all, allmost all the drama in the book derives either from Watney hacking together what he needs to survive from what he has available or from limitations imposed by the available spacecraft / orbital mechanics.

Edit: I *really* hope we get to see the 'Watney Method' for making water. Jeb would have been proud of that one. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Full cast and crew announced for The Martian! I must ay that I am pleasantly surprised! I actually think they did a really good job. However my one complaint would be that I pictured Allison Janney as the head of NASA public relations. I think that would have been perfect casting. However Kristen Wiig is probably did an incredible job, so its actually not a complaint.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3659388/

First pictures from set and honestly I think they look amazing! However.......I know its set in the future but everything looks slightly too futuristic. What do you think?

the-martian-04.jpg

I was picturing a more classic white space suit, I justt doesn't look bulky enough.

I agree although I suppose I think the helmet is throwing me off. I don't like the helmet. The rest of the suit I suppose is cool. I still think it looks too futuristic. Although lets just say it's 10-15 years in the future, we don't know how small everything is going to get, and what advancements can and will be made. I definitely did not expect Apollo like suits,

I think the timeline differs from ours quite a bit more than them landing on Mars regularly in a few years - either it is set far more in the future than 10-15 years (shame on me, cannot remember a date from the book ... ) or they never stopped at Apollo like we basically did.

Edit: Why not take a German to play a German!? Were they to afraid of Till Schweiger?! :P:wink:

Edited by KerbMav

I think the timeline differs from ours quite a bit more than them landing on Mars regularly in a few years - either it is set far more in the future than 10-15 years (shame on me, cannot remember a date from the book ... ) or they never stopped at Apollo like we basically did.

Edit: Why not take a German to play a German!? Were they to afraid of Till Schweiger?! :P:wink:

The book actually does not specify a date. So don't feel bad. There are no actual dates. However I say 10-15 years because it seems that they are basing the whole mission on the constellation program, http://youtu.be/ncvFAm4kYCo

It pictured the infrastructure in the book looking like the infrastructure in that video except a little more as advanced. Plus the references to modern movies and music ie the Watney/iron man method of orbital rendezvous.

The helmet it definitely goofy, but I'm sure the producers wanted to make sure we could see the actor's entire face. Artistic considerations have to be taken into account, along with some level of physical accuracy.

As for the book, I loved it, it kept making me think about and compare situations in KSP. I will attempt to do some ship and base simulations but will probably have to do a re-read first. It will be interesting to see how close/far I am from the set designer's creations.

As for the choice of Damon, I suppose it was fatalistically inevitable, in that producers always want the big names to help sell the film. I'm a cynic, but big productions in film and music (and probably other mediums) are hardly ever about the art itself, or at least rarely so. I recognize it is entirely possible to create an amazing piece of art while employing the famous stars, but it seems to me that that truly great works of art are usually more underground. In my cynical mind I see the scenario: hey, here's a great story, let's make a movie; if we cast a couple huge names and have enough eye-candy, it'll make us a zillion bucks.

I think Damon is actually a decent actor, and yes he's a good looking dude it's not like that's the only reason he's famous. I'm sure they could have done a lot worse.

The helmet it definitely goofy, but I'm sure the producers wanted to make sure we could see the actor's entire face. Artistic considerations have to be taken into account, along with some level of physical accuracy.

As for the book, I loved it, it kept making me think about and compare situations in KSP. I will attempt to do some ship and base simulations but will probably have to do a re-read first. It will be interesting to see how close/far I am from the set designer's creations.

As for the choice of Damon, I suppose it was fatalistically inevitable, in that producers always want the big names to help sell the film. I'm a cynic, but big productions in film and music (and probably other mediums) are hardly ever about the art itself, or at least rarely so. I recognize it is entirely possible to create an amazing piece of art while employing the famous stars, but it seems to me that that truly great works of art are usually more underground. In my cynical mind I see the scenario: hey, here's a great story, let's make a movie; if we cast a couple huge names and have enough eye-candy, it'll make us a zillion bucks.

I think Damon is actually a decent actor, and yes he's a good looking dude it's not like that's the only reason he's famous. I'm sure they could have done a lot worse.

I actually read the book knowing he was gonna be Watney and picturing him as Watney really wasn't bad. So I'm cautiously optimistic. On to the helmets, the helmets from interstellar were not goofy and you saw the whole actors face.

• 2 weeks later...
The book actually does not specify a date. So don't feel bad. There are no actual dates. However I say 10-15 years because it seems that they are basing the whole mission on the constellation program, http://youtu.be/ncvFAm4kYCo

It pictured the infrastructure in the book looking like the infrastructure in that video except a little more as advanced. Plus the references to modern movies and music ie the Watney/iron man method of orbital rendezvous.

Iron Man has been around for a very long time. So have 70s TV shows.

Aye!

Also, Pink Floyd is talked about all the time, and they hit their heyday in the 70s. Surely some music from now will last for 40 years.

Iron Man has been around for a very long time. So have 70s TV shows.

Aye!

Also, Pink Floyd is talked about all the time, and they hit their heyday in the 70s. Surely some music from now will last for 40 years.

No I agree. However watch the trailer based in the infrastructure it really doesn't look too old. Futuristic yes but it doesn't look like something we can't build within the next say 20 years.

That's what I loved about the book. There was never a moment where anything was so farfetched that it couldn't be done. The only unbelievable is NASA has the money to go to Mars lol. Everything he uses to survive isn't far beyond what's on the ISS. There is a ticking clock because of his limited resources. So I pictured Watney having been a little kid when iron man and the avengers came out and he was referring to something from his childhood.

Edited by sp1989

This can be done in stock! the ring wont rotate without infernal robotics but this CAN be made in stock, I'm just too lazy to do it.

hahaha me too! it actually looks like a very accurate version can be made with a few mods. It looks a a really good version could be made mostly with the Near Future mods. The actual craft looks like its a combo of the ISS and Constellation programs. ALMOST like in this future they harvested the ISS for parts to build the hermes and then added alot of infrastructure.

I just finished this book the other day, and greatly enjoyed it. I'm also very excited to hear that Scott will be directing, but equally disappointed to hear about Damon. He's a good actor when playing his strengths, but I don't see cocky and cynical astronaut being one of them.

In fact, one of the best examples of how a poorly-selected lead actor can ruin what otherwise would have been an amazing film is another Scott work, Kingdom of Heaven. Everything about that film was amazing, from the music to the cinematography to the support actors--really world-class, once-in-a-generation epic material. But then Orlando Bloom would open his mouth and suddenly each scene became impossible to take seriously. His "right before the big battle" pep speech in particular goes down as one of the most truely painful dialogues in quality AAA film-making.

In case you couldn't tell, I'm really worried that the same thing is going to happen here. Take a talented guy like Sean Patrick Flanery with his wise-guy persona and let him flourish under Scott's direction. I'll still see the film, but between the above and the quality of Damon's contributions to Interstellar, I'm going to try very hard not to let my excitement drive my expectations.

EDIT: Just saw that someone had suggested Fillion on the older thread. I'd see that!

Edited by TythosEternal

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.