What did you think of the movie?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of the movie?

• Out of this world 10 out of 10
    • Really, Really Good
    • It was an ok movie
    • I really did't like it that much
    • I absolutely hated it

This story was a novel and has gone from great story to how to make it. AND it looks beautiful. So I am very optimistic, also they must be doing something right because it's now been bumped up to an October 2nd release. It's being released two months early! So now no competition with Star Wars, bond, and mockingjay.

I agree. I haven't yet read the book but I will pick it up the next time I go by a library or book store (I am old enough that I prefer my books "analog"). I am hopeful that the movie will be faithful to what is by all accounts a great story. If they do at least as good a job at staying faithful to the plot (within the restrictions of a screenplay) as they did with Ender's game, it will probably be brilliant. Orson Scott Card was heavily involved in the production of Ender's Game and it showed. Hopefully Andy Weir's involvement in the production of The Martian will pay similar dividends.

I agree. I haven't yet read the book but I will pick it up the next time I go by a library or book store (I am old enough that I prefer my books "analog"). I am hopeful that the movie will be faithful to what is by all accounts a great story. If they do at least as good a job at staying faithful to the plot (within the restrictions of a screenplay) as they did with Ender's game, it will probably be brilliant. Orson Scott Card was heavily involved in the production of Ender's Game and it showed. Hopefully Andy Weir's involvement in the production of The Martian will pay similar dividends.

Weir has specifically said, IIRC, that it follows the book very closely, beyond things that have been cut for time.

Just binge-read the book in about 6 hours-ish. Oh my god. It is amazing. If the film is half as good as this it will be... man, incredible, absolutely incredible. Ridley Scott I sure hope you're a steely-eyed missile man.

Just binge-read the book in about 6 hours-ish. Oh my god. It is amazing. If the film is half as good as this it will be... man, incredible, absolutely incredible. Ridley Scott I sure hope you're a steely-eyed missile man.

Welcome to the fold!!!!

Firstly I'm ashamed that it took me so long top realize that it is a apollo 13 reference. Also

one of us one of us one of us one of us

Firstly I'm ashamed that it took me so long top realize that it is a apollo 13 reference. Also

one of us one of us one of us one of us

Apollo 12 too if I remember rightly and I think the term was a part of Mission Control argot before then.

Apollo 12 was struck by lightning just after lift-off which, unsurprisingly, sent most of its systems haywire. John Aaron (EECOM) figured it was a telemetry problem: "Flight - have them set SCE to AUX" and effectively saved the mission from being aborted due to the spacecraft being apparently crippled.

Sure, I understand why people hate on Gravity and Interstellar, but that is mostly because of your bias.

Gravity was the first Hollywood movie to come so close to depicting space as it really is, and all you do is instantly bash on it?

Not very smart on your part. Same with Interstellar. Find me another movie like that which handled wormholes and black holes as realistically as it did.

Oh wait, you won't. It really hurts when people don't appreciate all of the time and effort the director put into researching all of this just for you, and you are still unhappy. You can't be so selfish as to think all of the other millions of movie goers would enjoy watching complex orbital maneuvers as opposed to a quick point-and-burn for the convenience of the plot.

I have to say, it is fun nitpicking like that, but don't put a movie down just because of those few inaccuracies.

You overwhelm yourself with them so much you completely forget about the plot of the movie, as well as the acting.

If I were to start nitpicking how inaccurate Star Trek was I'd be bashed to death, right?

So please, don't bash too much :) thank you.

The movie hasn't even been released yet and this already started :D

Personally loved the book, I wonder how they'll cram all of it into one movie, maybe 2 parts :) jk

Edited by SpaceXray

I've just finished the book, and like Adam Savage, our beloved Mythbusters said, I couldn't stop reading it untill I finish at 3am. This is easily the best science fiction I've read in YEARS.

Reading some 1/3rd to the book, I find that the character in the movie should be someone more hilarious and less action-hero-y. He is a nerd, no other way around it. And he has a great sense of humour with his logs. Then again, kind of hard to do the humour relayed through logs in movies, where the drama and hardship of survival is the main point.

Edit:

Finished it. It has been a while since I read good hard sci-fi. But really, I think Watney should be someone less action-y looking and more average joe with funny humour - that is his style, facing adversity with humours.

Edited by RainDreamer

Watched the trailer. As kid I always asked myself what would happen if MacGyver had been an austronaut. 20 years later I know! Give Watney a ***** swiss army knife and duct tape! :D

In his word: "Duct tape is magic and should be worshiped."

Edited by RainDreamer

Reading some 1/3rd to the book, I find that the character in the movie should be someone more hilarious and less action-hero-y. He is a nerd, no other way around it. And he has a great sense of humour with his logs. Then again, kind of hard to do the humour relayed through logs in movies, where the drama and hardship of survival is the main point.

Edit:

Finished it. It has been a while since I read good hard sci-fi. But really, I think Watney should be someone less action-y looking and more average joe with funny humour - that is his style, facing adversity with humours.

The good thing with Matt Damon is that he is as versatile as a leatherman in terms of acting, and it is clear he have the required sense of humour otherwise he wouldn't allow the constant roasting by Jimmy Kimmel old joke (that is, TBH, not funny anymore.)

In his word: "Duct tape is magic and should be worshiped."

AMEN

Just rewatched the trailer, and the multiple images that make up Mark's message make sense (or can have sense applied to it) if you consider that the first thing they did (in book) when they got Pathfinder back online was to take a panorama, which would necessitate taking several images that are then compiled back into a single pan.

Other difference/problem, however, is that it seems like this message is being piped to Hermes (as shown in the FROM: NASA MISSION CONTROL, TO: HERMES CREW audio squiggle), so I guess they're going to have the Herme's crew know from the beginning?

0VZYYBz.png

r27yK2i.png

HRM seems to imply Hermes, and the context of the statement fits!

Also, minor niggling point - if the gravity is spin generated, how are they getting gravity on the bridge during the Ares 3 intro trailer? They should be floating around, or have to be buckled in.

Further niggle - the hab seems huge! And really super heavy! I got the opinion in the book that it was basically just a tent, hence why the hab material came in so handy. Don't get me wrong, I love the look of the Hab in the trailer, but everyone else was raising problems so I thought I'd pile on!

Edited by Deserdi Verimas

Love the book, looking forward to the movie. Though, I do think Matt Damon wasn't the greatest to cast as Watney. I would think someone like Robert Downey Jr. could nail Watney's unique brand of humor alot better than Damon.

(Emphasis mine)

They didn't have to make any allowances!

Please give it a rest already. You think it's the worst thing since unsliced bread, we get it. Try letting other people enjoy what they want for their own reasons.

wXe7nov.png

Edited by NovaSilisko

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.