1.0.1 breaks part picker in SPH/VAB - Updated w/ repro steps

As pictured, using the Steam version.

FQ0evn.jpg

Update: Can't even move existing parts. It is also possible to glitch it to show some parts by sorting by name/cost etc. Most of the buttons don't work but sometimes the part spawns embedded in the floor.

Update: Re-installing doesn't work. 1.0.2 did nothing either.

Edited by BmB

Same issue over here with the non steam version. Haven't found any way around this, though new saves created on 1.0.1 work fine.

The tech tree menu is empty as well.

Edit: scratch the tech tree thing, I forgot that module manager changes the tech tree link in the sfs file to its own file.

Edited by Hades

I'm having the same issue, see here. I know this is unmodded installs and I have mechjeb installed but this is not related to that, I can reproduce it with or without MJ.

We used to be able to place these small tanks on top of the round struts and the small cubic ones, but now they will not place no matter what I do with it, see video above.

This is beyond fustrating! SQUAD! FIX THIS!

This basic part placement has never been broken since the oldest releases I can remember, at least not this bad.

I had this same issue on 1.0.2. Restarting the game without the -popupwindow flag seemed to resolve it. It has since worked fine even with the -popupwindow flag.

I didn't use that flag, and using it seems to not help.

BmB, what steps did you go through, to have the problem?

Does the same thing happen, if you exit and restart KSP?

Kithylin seems to be reporting a different problem. The parts selection works, but the part isn't placing on craft.

No steps. Steam auto-downloaded 1.0.1 and that was it. I have restarted, reinstalled, rolled back and rolled forward, verified at least 10 times and it persists. It seems to be 1.0.1 alone that causes it. 0.90 is fine, 1.0 was fine.

We used to be able to place these small tanks on top of the round struts and the small cubic ones, but now they will not place no matter what I do with it, see video above.

Connection mechanics were changed a bit. But even at that, it's probably not exactly your problem. That little fuel tank is now surface attachable... So if you'd like to put it on the node, hold the MOD key (ALT in windows) while you place it.

Cheers,

~Claw

No steps. Steam auto-downloaded 1.0.1 and that was it. I have restarted, reinstalled, rolled back and rolled forward, verified at least 10 times and it persists. It seems to be 1.0.1 alone that causes it. 0.90 is fine, 1.0 was fine.
The picture shows a craft loaded, but, is that step necessary? you simply have no parts icons, in the parts panel?

Career and sandbox will change which are available. If you've been starting up in Sandbox, try a new Career game, to see if any parts icons appear.

(My guess is that if it was nothing before, it will still show nothing; the problem may be something to do with icon rendering.)

I notice the the wing category icon is clipped, from there down, bottom two sidebar icons are not displaying.

If you click on the various sidebar categories, does anything flicker, where the parts icons should appear?

Nothing happens if you click on any buttons, sometimes the buttons don't show up at all.

Buttons may appear if you use sorting by name, weight size or price, but they don't work.

I already said all this.

I have also tried starting new games.

I already said all this.

I have also tried starting new games.

Sorry, I see your update comments now.

I had a specific type in mind with asking about new games: career vs sandbox; fewer parts buttons are displayed at start of career.

You wrote that 1.0 was fine. They added one new part in 1.0.1, the basic fin, but also edited values for a bunch of others.

Look for similar reports in these support forums, they might provide other ideas for things to try.

Another update may come out, that changes things around again.

I've had this issue. After numerous attempts its fixed now. I'm not sure what lead to the fix, but I tried following:

* installed latest video drivers

* re-installed KSP on different disk with no mods

* disabled 64bit in launcher

* re-validated steam cache

* created new games in career/sandbox mode

* set graphics to minimum

I've spent a couple of hours trying all these, but in the end it just disappeared when I started another new career mode.

Edited by ushkinaz

I've had this problem since 1.0, persists thru 1.0.1, 1.0.2.

I start the game, go to VAB, left part picking menu is OK. Then I launch the ship, revert back to VAB, and some 80% chance the part picker is gone=seems like i'm stuck in Subassembly... No vertical icons on the left, can't pick anything. Can move parts of the ship though.

What helps is exit the VAB, then go to VAB again. Part picker menu is available again.

Quite annoying, I have to say... :(

Some config: Steam install, upgraded from 0.25 to 0.90, then 1.0, then 1.0.1 and 1.0.2. Windows 7 64bit, KSP 32bit.

EDIT: Steam just found 3 files have to be downloaded again. Let's see if that fixes it.

EDIT 2: Nope, it didn't. I have to say, my installation was moded when I upgraded to 1.0 (MechJeb, MKS, KW Rocketry, KAC, KerbalEngineer, TAC-LS, RemoteTech, ProcFairings, Karbonite)

After upgrade I "uninstalled" the mods (deleted mod folders from GameData). It started to behave like this (disappearing icons and parts in part picker menu in VAB) after the update to 1.0. It is the same whether I have some mods installed or not.

I promise I won't edit this post anymore :)

Edited by HighSpeedSteel

Ok, another update. Even though previously starting new career mode games did not resolve the issue, starting one today did. I also re-verified the files and got 2 hits. Did everyone here having this problem use Steam? Consider that it may have been a glitch in the Steam download system. However this is just speculation and I will report back if it re-appears.

I have the Steam v1.0.2 and sometimes I can't pick any parts in the VAB, or delete empty staging icons in the lower right. I can however pick already existing parts, copy them and attach them, just not pick new ones. Only by exiting the game altogether to desktop and restarting can I pick parts again. Mods used are KIS, KOS, KAS and KER. I'm deleting all mods to see if one of them causes it but I will follow this thread.

EDIT: Just saw the above post. It happened with several different ships. Tell me where to find the log and I could post it.

EDIT 2: Oh dear... Deleted all the mods, only the Squad folder remains and now it's seriously borked. First time I enter the VAB there are no parts group icons. When I select the extended groups icon, the parts icons appear but there are no parts there.

EDIT 3: This is a bit silly. Restarted the game a 2nd time (no changes) and now it appeared to be fine.

Edited by LN400

Guys, do not use -popupwindow or -force-opengl, they are unreliable and will break KSP.

Also delete your settings.cfg, 0.90.0 settings can break 1.0

Some craft can be bugged and cause this, try a new craft and a new save.

i'm having same problem as shown in OP picture. uninstalled, reinstalled vanilla steam, problem persists.

- - - Updated - - -

deleting settings did not fix. this is game breaking. i can't build ships. you fellas working on this? it kind of came out of nowhere - parts worked fine earlier today.

update: uninstalling, blowing away game folder (along with my saved games and craft files) fixed it. so, at least that tells us it's a corrupt something in there. somewhere. ugly little bug.

Edited by mjl1966

This is not happening to everyone, just a handful of players so there must be a common cause amongst those affected, maybe old saves, some software you all use or other factor.

That it came out of nowhere though is worrying.

The only thing that could survive reinstall is your saves and the registry entries for KSP.

This is not happening to everyone, just a handful of players so there must be a common cause amongst those affected, maybe old saves, some software you all use or other factor.

That it came out of nowhere though is worrying.

The only thing that could survive reinstall is your saves and the registry entries for KSP.

well,that's good news. means it's a corrupt save. if folks move those off and start withou them... might tell us something.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.