Tundra near KSC?

airelibre

I think it has something to do with how the biome maps were made. You get a lot of small patches of Tundra wherever Grasslands meet Shores.

Not as bad as Mun though. most of the crates are ringed with a random biome

Edited by Rhomphaia

I haven't checked the immediate surroundings, but imho this could be the interpolation bug regarding biome maps. Close to the border between two biomes KSP behaves strange, as the biomes are "colour coded" (sorry, I don't have game development experience, no idea how it's called properly), and KSP smooths out the sharp edges when upscaling the biome maps. If now the interpolated "colour" is closer to the "colour" of a non-adjacent biome than to both adjacent biomes, it leads to the observed inconsistency.

I haven't checked the immediate surroundings, but imho this could be the interpolation bug regarding biome maps. Close to the border between two biomes KSP behaves strange, as the biomes are "colour coded" (sorry, I don't have game development experience, no idea how it's called properly), and KSP smooths out the sharp edges when upscaling the biome maps. If now the interpolated "colour" is closer to the "colour" of a non-adjacent biome than to both adjacent biomes, it leads to the observed inconsistency.

It's called a vector. It's more graphic art than development.

This is a very old bug. It has been around since they added biomes.

Edited by Alshain

Its hardly a game breaking bug... its something exploitable... but come on... its a kerbin biome... there's already enough to exploit just at KSC.

And as for other celestial bodies? you don't really have much of a chance of finding those weird border biomes unless you are roving along, so its a reason to use rovers :P

Its so minor, I don't blame them for not fixing it, when they had so much else to do.

I found poles and poles crater near the equator on minmus

There is a spot on Kerbin, near the inland lake around (-27 +80) where you can find inside a 1km walk:

water

shore

tundra

grassland

highland

mountain.

Similarly, on Mun in the Twin Crater region, you can find

Twin Crater

Midlands

North West Crater

Poles

Polar Lowlands

all within 1 easy RCS-EVA range of each other.

Who ever said biomes make sense?

Yeah, the biome maps have been a mess in this way pretty much since they were added to the game.

I've been considering trying to setup a system to filter them and convert to more reasonable values based on longitude and latitude to at least get rid of some of the sillier ones like tundra and Munar poles near the equator and such. Those ones in particular are a shame as they're a big motivation towards putting things in polar orbits rather than just equatorial all the time.

SHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I've known about this for a few versions now, but I was keeping quiet about it because I was afraid if I said anything SQUAD would patch it and I couldn't use it as an exploit any more. (There is a simple way to patch it and I could actually do it myself in about one minute if I only had the asset file xD)

SHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I've known about this for a few versions now, but I was keeping quiet about it because I was afraid if I said anything SQUAD would patch it and I couldn't use it as an exploit any more.

a) Everyone knew about it.

B) Wow...way to go in abusing early access.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.