Homeschooling?

violahalle6

I go to a private college prep school. I've been going there since kindergarten, and I'm in seventh grade now. I want to be homeschooled next year, because I'm just kind of bored being with the same people every day. it's not that i don't like my friends, but it's just that I'm tired of doing the same thing every day. My parents already paid the tuition deposit and everything, and they would lose about 2500 dollars. And if I were homeschooled, my brother probably would want to be also. He goes to the same school, so they would lose 2500 dollard for him too. I'm also tired of all the popularity stuff. I also find that a lot of my classes are really easy. I just want to have education suited for me, not what my school thinks will get us into college. Baisically, I just want some change, something different.

So, I was just wondering if you think it's worth losing 5000 dollars to be homeschooled, and how I can explain it to my parents that I don't want to go to my school anymore.

Thanks!

Eeehhh.... losing 5,000 dollars (assuming US currency) for the sake of a little change seems like too much. Perhaps if you can work something out with your parents to not pay the tuition for the next year.

Sounds like you are looking to be Unschooled. There are many different types of homeschooling and many different reasons for homeschooling, so it is important that you note the way you want to be homeschooled if/when you tell your parents you do want to be homeschooled.

... because I'm just kind of bored being with the same people every day. ...

Please think a minute about what you just said here.

Don't you think staying home will in fact REDUCE the number of people you'll interact with? Going to school is an excellent way to interact and socialize with other people.

Going to school is an excellent way to interact and socialize with other people.

I think that may be part of the issue...

EDIT: Then again, my reply acknowledges that what you said is true, which it's not really, so I lied!

Edited by Xannari Ferrows

I go to a private college prep school. I've been going there since kindergarten, and I'm in seventh grade now. I want to be homeschooled next year, because I'm just kind of bored being with the same people every day. it's not that i don't like my friends, but it's just that I'm tired of doing the same thing every day. My parents already paid the tuition deposit and everything, and they would lose about 2500 dollars. And if I were homeschooled, my brother probably would want to be also. He goes to the same school, so they would lose 2500 dollard for him too. I'm also tired of all the popularity stuff. I also find that a lot of my classes are really easy. I just want to have education suited for me, not what my school thinks will get us into college. Baisically, I just want some change, something different.

So, I was just wondering if you think it's worth losing 5000 dollars to be homeschooled, and how I can explain it to my parents that I don't want to go to my school anymore.

Thanks!

If I am really honest it sounds exactly like the kind of attitude and situation that warrants proper schooling - at a school. Being bored with things is no excuse to look at homeschooling and probably a huge risk factor for lagging performance to boot.

Not to be that guy, but you seem to be in that age group where everything you have to do becomes boring and annoying. Just the reason for your parents to shoo you to that school :D

Do both of your parents work? If yes, then one may need to give up a job, and you'll end up losing a lot more than 5000 dollars.

This, though the tuition is likely substantially above the $2500 lost (I know it is where my kids go, with 2 it's like driving a new car off a cliff every year, lol). You'd need a parent willing (and capable) of pushing you harder than your private school, as well.

A few observations, though a few have been made.

One, you need to involve your parents immediately, and not with a demand to home-school (which is a huge undertaking for the parents). Tell them you are not challenged/interested enough, and ask what the possible solutions might be within your current school setup. The options seem to be to fix school for you, go to public school, or the most radical is what you suggest. What is lacking at private school, exactly from an educational standpoint? Mid school is more constrained than high school, usually, so you might have to do your time before you can take more control over what classes you take.

Two, assuming the first thought is fixing school, I would talk to the school (or have your parents do so) about how challenging the classes are, and what you can do to keep it interesting. I say this because the opportunity cost of homeschooling is likely in fact more than the 2 tuitions, so why not let the infrastructure of a, you know, school, work in your favor, and get them to tailor a better education for you. For what we pay (my kids got to private schools), if my kids are not challenged, we would raise a little hell with the school, or look at another school (doesn't seem to be a problem so far). Any discussion with school should happen during the summer so things can be planned. Here the mid school to HS private schools have 3 good choices, and when my son is ready for mid school, we are open to him picking a different school than his sister if that is a better fit. Are there private school choices where you are?

Three, instead of home schooling, why not public school? I cannot see home schooling as anything but a negative in many ways, as the social aspect of school is at least as important as the rest (I was a nerd in school, and not at all popular, but the social stuff was still better than nothing).

Look, if you are being bullied at school, tell it to your parent. If the school is a horrible place to be, tell it to your parent and move to another school. Homeschooling is only for those who simply cannot go to a school due to their conditions, because it cost a damn lot.

Think about this: if you are going to be homeschooled, that means someone gotta teach you at home. Now, who will that be? Your parent is unlikely to be qualified as a teacher and more than certain not having enough time to spend with you to teach you. So they will hire someone, like a private tutor, who may charge anywhere from $45 to $135 per hour (depending on curriculum, it might pile up quick). Also, they are unlikely to be able to have a comprehensive knowledge in all subjects and only specialize in some field- there is a reason why there are so many teachers in different subjects. So your parent have to hire several of them, or accept that your education is going to be lacking in certain area.

Furthermore, it will also be harder for you learning things as you lack peers to cross-examining your knowledge. You don't just learn from teachers, but also from friends, based on what they do right, and wrong. You learn faster that way rather than having to mulled everything by yourself and make all those mistakes by yourself to learn from them. It will also hinder your future social skill due to lack of contact with people, it also make it harder for you to connect with others due to lack of shared experience (you know all those high school and middle school story people tell to each other? well, you won't have one) and it will reduce your network, which is important for many things (from future employment from a friend at school to simply needing some help in tough times).

So really, stay in school. Stay in a school that you like, of course. But stay in a place where you can learn effectively and make friends and have fun with them.

Look, if you are being bullied at school, tell it to your parent. If the school is a horrible place to be, tell it to your parent and move to another school. Homeschooling is only for those who simply cannot go to a school due to their conditions, because it cost a damn lot.

Think about this: if you are going to be homeschooled, that means someone gotta teach you at home. Now, who will that be? Your parent is unlikely to be qualified as a teacher and more than certain not having enough time to spend with you to teach you. So they will hire someone, like a private tutor, who may charge anywhere from $45 to $135 per hour (depending on curriculum, it might pile up quick). Also, they are unlikely to be able to have a comprehensive knowledge in all subjects and only specialize in some field- there is a reason why there are so many teachers in different subjects. So your parent have to hire several of them, or accept that your education is going to be lacking in certain area.

Furthermore, it will also be harder for you learning things as you lack peers to cross-examining your knowledge. You don't just learn from teachers, but also from friends, based on what they do right, and wrong. You learn faster that way rather than having to mulled everything by yourself and make all those mistakes by yourself to learn from them. It will also hinder your future social skill due to lack of contact with people, it also make it harder for you to connect with others due to lack of shared experience (you know all those high school and middle school story people tell to each other? well, you won't have one) and it will reduce your network, which is important for many things (from future employment from a friend at school to simply needing some help in tough times).

So really, stay in school. Stay in a school that you like, of course. But stay in a place where you can learn effectively and make friends and have fun with them.

BS. Most types of Homeschooling are not expensive, do not give children a poor education, and do not produce socially challenged adults. The media focuses on the truant homeschoolers and the religiously extreme homeschoolers, producing a false view of Homeschooling in general. You also don't require a teacher necessarily.

With regard to life in the States; Many are overlooking the fact that most States (that I know of) have compulsory education requirements. For example, here. So, I would suggest checking the situation out with your home-State's DOE first.

And not to make any personal inference, but I would question any parent who desires to home school their child as to their qualifications/ability to do so... it could be interpreted as not being in the child's best interests.

On the contrary, it's quite inexpensive. Especially if you teach yourself.

If teaching yourself was truly an option, school were not needed any more. The overwhelming chances are that you will enjoy a lower grade education, affecting the rest of your life.

BS. Most types of Homeschooling are not expensive, do not give children a poor education, and do not produce socially challenged adults. The media focuses on the truant homeschoolers and the religiously extreme homeschoolers, producing a false view of Homeschooling in general. You also don't require a teacher necessarily.

While I agree that homeschooling does not necessarily mean bad education, there is a good reason teaching is a profession, and schools are institutions. Providing a good education is no trivial task. Since there already seems to be an underlying problem here, I am not sure these parents are equipped to deal with the situation.

Edited by Camacha

To be fair to homeschooling, an education degree is the easiest at university, so assuming the parents have real degrees, they are likely better qualified at least in some subjects (edu majors have among the lowest test scores entering university, yet consistently have the highest gpas in college, it stretches the imagination that their schooling manages to turn so many "meh" applicants into academic diamonds).

Regardless, I'd have your folks talk to the school. Typically those of us who spend a lot of money on school for our kids (we also pay heavy taxes to support the public schools as well), want value for our money. Your parents are likely no different. IMO, what private school does is to select for parents that value education more than anything else. Still, if my kid isn't challenged for north of 20 grand a year I'm going to be in there asking why not.

My real caveat might be if it is a private, religious school, that could easily explain problems with the education (if that was the only option here my kids would be in public school).

Edited by tater

If teaching yourself was truly an option, school were not needed any more. The overwhelming chances are that you will enjoy a lower grade education, affecting the rest of your life.

It really depends on the kid. Some kids have a natural inclination towards teaching themselves, while others tend to need teaching.

While I agree that homeschooling does not necessarily mean bad education, there is a good reason teaching is a profession, and schools are institutions. Providing a good education is no trivial task. Since there already seems to be an underlying problem here, I am not sure these parents are equipped to deal with the situation.

Agreed, however a personalized education will almost always be of higher quality than the one-size-fits-all education system we currently have.

- - - Updated - - -

To be fair to homeschooling, an education degree is the easiest at university, so assuming the parents have real degrees, they are likely better qualified at least in some subjects (edu majors have among the lowest test scores entering university, yet consistently have the highest gpas in college, it stretches the imagination that their schooling manages to turn so many "meh" applicants into academic diamonds).

Regardless, I'd have your folks talk to the school. Typically those of us who spend a lot of money on school for our kids (we also pay heavy taxes to support the public schools as well), want value for our money. Your parents are likely no different. IMO, what private school does is to select for parents that value education more than anything else. Still, if my kid isn't challenged for north of 20 grand a year I'm going to be in there asking why not.

My real caveat might be if it is a private, religious school, that could easily explain problems with the education (if that was the only option here my kids would be in public school).

Or the prestige, sadly some children have become more like pedigree animals than kids. Otherwise agreed. (Bold added for emphasis)

Agreed, however a personalized education will almost always be of higher quality than the one-size-fits-all education system we currently have.

It should be noted we are talking about a private school, which is highly likely to be more tailored than another random school. Even if that is not the case now, starting a dialogue should improve that, as helping is a lot easier when you know what is going on and school personnel is unfortunately not psychic.

If teaching yourself was truly an option, school were not needed any more.

But it is an option. The papers say homeschooling, but that doesn't mean you're being taught by someone else.

While I agree that homeschooling does not necessarily mean bad education, there is a good reason teaching is a profession, and schools are institutions. Providing a good education is no trivial task.

Teaching is a profession, but a very abused one.

It's never a case of simply providing education, but of morale as well. Objectivity may be productive, but it is not efficient. Subjectivity may lead to unusual methodology differing from subject to subject, but such ways are more efficient.

School should be a place that students want to go to, rather than just have to. Very axial classes should be required for specific classes that require such skills, and while a similar system of such educational steps exists right now, it is terribly flawed.

But it is an option. The papers say homeschooling, but that doesn't mean you're being taught by someone else.

I am not sure what you mean here.

Teaching is a profession, but a very abused one.

It's never a case of simply providing education, but of morale as well. Objectivity may be productive, but it is not efficient. Subjectivity may lead to unusual methodology differing from subject to subject, but such ways are more efficient.

School should be a place that students want to go to, rather than just have to. Very axial classes should be required for specific classes that require such skills, and while a similar system of such educational steps exists right now, it is terribly flawed.

This is true, school systems almost always have certain moral values attached to them. That is why there is a multitude of systems available out there, and parents can pick and choose which one they find most suited for their child (depending on money, in some cases). That negates any reasoning that is might not line up with personal beliefs, unless those are beliefs that a way out there (as seems to be the case with most home schooling parents).

Ideally students would like school, but let us not pretend that everything good for a child is fun for a child. Also, OP seems to be at an age where pushing everything away is a thing. Sometimes you just have to push them through something for their own good. Most children do not like vegetables, yet no one will argue that is a reason not to have them eat those ;)

This is true, school systems almost always have certain moral values attached to them. That is why there is a multitude of systems available out there, and parents can pick and choose which one they find most suited for their child (depending on money, in some cases). That negates any reasoning that is might not line up with personal beliefs, unless those are beliefs that a way out there (as seems to be the case with most home schooling parents).

A multitude of systems is the most common answer, but doesn't work for the most part. 50 milligrams of sugar, 100 milligrams, 150, and 200. What if I want 88?

A system of flexibility across of large range of values is what we need. Though it may be more difficult, with greater challenge often comes greater reward.

Ideally students would like school, but let us not pretend that everything good for a child is fun for a child. Also, OP seems to be at an age where pushing everything away is a thing. Sometimes you just have to push them through something for their own good. Most children do not like vegetables, yet no one will argue that is a reason not to have them eat those ;)

I answer with this: Why do we not enjoy that which is good for us? Take Kerbal Space: It can teach you various topics involved in rocket sciences, while allowing creativity. It is the perfect combination of fun and education in my books.

Why did our bodies evolve to dislike what is bad for us? Does our physical parameters really mean anything at all?

A multitude of systems is the most common answer, but doesn't work for the most part. 50 milligrams of sugar, 100 milligrams, 150, and 200. What if I want 88?

A system of flexibility across of large range of values is what we need. Though it may be more difficult, with greater challenge often comes greater reward.

You assume current options are totally rigid and inflexible, which does not seem to be a fair assumption.

Why did our bodies evolve to dislike what is bad for us?

In the case of vegatables and school: you lack the experience to know the benefits, and only see the downsides. That is why parents and school play a pivotal role in making sure children get what they want. In other cases, you need to do a little reading up on addictive tendencies and where those come from.

You assume current options are totally rigid and inflexible, which does not seem to be a fair assumption.

Fair or not, it's true. Me, Jared, Brenden, Tyler, Ignec, and Will can say the same thing.

That is why parents and school play a pivotal role in making sure children get what they want.

Correction:

That is why some parents and some schools can play a pivotal role in making sure some children might​ get what they might want.

Fair or not, it's true. Me, Jared, Brenden, Tyler, Ignec, and Will can say the same thing.

It is not true. Within most of the systems exists an ability to scale and tailor.

Correction:

That is why some parents and some schools can play a pivotal role in making sure some children might​ get what they might want.

Parents and school play a pivotal role, no denying about it, like it or not. Most will take that role seriously, a lot will fulfil it with success.

It is not true. Within most of the systems exists an ability to scale and tailor.

Do you want me to go get the others? Tyler and Ignec went to the same school, and everyone else went somewhere different, so we cover a fair bit of ground.

They wouldn't mind coming over for a while. In fact, I was planning to bring them over for some grilled fish later, so why not early?

Parents and school play a pivotal role, no denying about it, like it or not. Most will take that role seriously, a lot will fulfil it with success.

Most = Some, then that second statement is correct. The first is hardly.

There's a reason students more often than not get a higher quality education when homeschooled. They get to learn their way.

Do you want me to go get the others? Tyler and Ignec went to the same school, and everyone else went somewhere different, so we cover a fair bit of ground.

They wouldn't mind coming over for a while. In fact, I was planning to bring them over for some grilled fish later, so why not early?

You obviously feel strongly about the subject, but it is totally unclear to me what your message is.

Most = Some, then that second statement is correct. The first is hardly.

The first is correct. Parents and school play a pivotal role. Even if the parents neglect their duties and the school drops the ball, their role is pivotal, even if just by not providing. But please, keep semantics out of this.