Which one looks nicer; new Mk1 cockpit or old one

Falkenherz

Vote on the cockpit version you like  

347 members have voted

1. 1. Vote on the cockpit version you like

• Old Mk1 cockpit
    • New Mk1 cockpit

I have issues with both of them*, but I'd say I prefer the new one.

*Old Mk1 - Has what are apparently air-intakes, but they don't function. :huh: The texture is also....old, and looks old.

New Mk1 - The door position seems a little low and may be difficult to make work with ladders. It also sort of looks like a side-by-side two-seater at first glance.

personally ive only used the mk2 after it was updated and fully functional, its got a nice field of view and a nice space for docking ports or intakes

the mk1 just seems a little too narrow and cramped, its got an awkward shape like its slightly concaved and has fake intakes on its sides and just doesn't flow with the shape of the other fuselages as well as the mk2 does now

I prefer the older look.

What really needs to happen, is Squad needs to compile ALL the historical parts, give them slightly different names where names would conflict, and then release it as an 'official' mod. Then people can use it if they want, they can pick out the parts they liked, and do whatever. Every time they retire a texture, the pack should be updated. Now that aerodynamics and other game breaking changes are done, it shouldn't need much more update beyond that.

This would be ideal.

I like the Mk1 as it currently is, and while I love the new part, I can't help but feel it doesn't adequately replace the aesthetics of the old part. It's too different, in both form and function (Looks wise). I also could have sworn that there was mention of them not replace the old mk-1 cockpit but bringing it into line with the new aesthetics. If I'm wrong, then It will be sad. Though honestly I wouldn't mind loosing it if they gave as a version of it where you can put the 0.625m avionics nose cone on the front and had an expanded, more domed shaped canopy like the inline Mk-1 currently has.

That isn't replacing the mk1 cockpit, it is a 2 seater version taking the same width.

NEW Cockpit, Not NEW MODEL.

Where did you hear that?

"The Cockpit and all other Mk1 parts have been overhauled and now fit the game art style better, also a new 2-Kerbal Crew Cabin has been added."

The poll is much more one-sided than I was expecting, from reading comments I thought a larger percentage of people preferred the old pod.

Indeed, I am similar surprised. I guess I should have included a "keep both if possible" option; however, I wanted a clear "statement of taste", regardless whether a third option like this actually existed.

I find it ironic that we are gaining a fighter jet engine, but losing my preferred fighter jet cockpit. I do like the looks of the new cockpit, but as others have said, it feels appropriate for different types of craft than the current mk1 does. I also don't like that it looks like the door position would prevent me from putting canards in my favorite spot.

So yes, in the 'have both' camp.

I'm referring to common designation of the old cockpit as "Fighter cockpit", and I don't quite understand why it's called as such. As I understand inline Mk1 IS a fighter cockpit compared to this one. Add an intake at the front - and you have a base for Sabre or MiG-15. Add NCS adapter and a nosecone - here's the nose of a modern fighter. The old Mk 1 is just "some sci-fi cockpit" I think.

The poll is much more one-sided than I was expecting, from reading comments I thought a larger percentage of people preferred the old pod.

I voted for the new one because I do think it's the "better looking" of the two on technical details, but I would really like to see both stay in the game. Alas, there is no poll option for it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.