I am never going back to Moho.

DMSP

I'm making do with sending an unmanned probe that will do a flyby of Moho. With a minor course correction afterwards, it will encounter Eve. If it can be brought into an orbit there, I might be able to retrieve the data as part of a later mission.

[quote name='ZooNamedGames']Hope you brought lots of radiators.[/QUOTE]

Oh shoot.

The transfer stage does.

My crew ship is waiting for its departure period.

Should they go out?

Crew ship:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/W66MNGR.png[/IMG]

I dunno where this "you need radiators for moho" comes from. That's not the case at all.

What you need is an insane amount of fuel to come back, something I still haven't achieved yet. 3 poorly planned rescue missions spent the rest of my patience and now I'm done with that particular save while Jeb, Bill and Bob drift aimlessly, forever. ;.;

I sent a probe to Moho as its transfer windows come up often so do that if you can, it's not really interesting enough to be worth the Delta V cost. Like just throw probes at it.

[quote name='More Boosters']I dunno where this "you need radiators for moho" comes from. That's not the case at all.

What you need is an insane amount of fuel to come back, something I still haven't achieved yet. 3 poorly planned rescue missions spent the rest of my patience and now I'm done with that particular save while Jeb, Bill and Bob drift aimlessly, forever. ;.;

I sent a probe to Moho as its transfer windows come up often so do that if you can, it's not really interesting enough to be worth the Delta V cost. Like just throw probes at it.[/QUOTE]

Alright, I will chuck those probes!

My 70tons space station mission to Moho

The return vehicle and landers were send on a separate flight that meet there (within 5 min at SOI enter, braking was complex...)

[IMG]http://tof.canardpc.com/view/017d2bde-716d-4ca8-a3b2-050147fd4dff.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='More Boosters']I dunno where this "you need radiators for moho" comes from. That's not the case at all.

I sent a probe to Moho as its transfer windows come up often so do that if you can, it's not really interesting enough to be worth the Delta V cost. Like just throw probes at it.[/QUOTE]

It comes from the fact its near Kerbol, and if it's like it's real life analog, the surface and the space near the planet is extremely hot. Admittedly I haven't been to Moho recently, but if I had, I'd still bring lots of radiators. Edited by ZooNamedGames

[quote name='DMSP']...3,000 m/s Ejection burns.

Yeah I haven't been there and I already hate it.[/QUOTE]

Ohhh, you are probably going to love the capture burn when you [I]do[/I] get there ...

PS: For those that don't know - Moho is the hardest planet to reach in KSP. Don't be fooled by the high availability of transfer-windows, it's a trap.

(PPS: Come to Dres!)

[quote name='Pecan']Ohhh, you are probably going to love the capture burn when you [I]do[/I] get there ...

PS: For those that don't know - Moho is the hardest planet to reach in KSP. Don't be fooled by the high availability of transfer-windows, it's a trap.

(PPS: Come to Dres!)[/QUOTE]

Well, my Dres ships will be arriving at Dres in a few hundred days.

And Moho well cower in fear!

I remember my first (and only) Moho landing.

lander ran out of fuel after having to burn its return fuel getting a capture.

Rescue 1 landed, but made it to orbit before dying.

Rescue 2 left orbit and got out to Kerbin's orbit, but with no intercept for the next 30+ orbits.

Rescue 4 finally got him home.

...It was preposterously stupid.

My first Moho trip was back in 0.23. I had just completed the Jool 5 challenge so I decided to reuse my Jool 5 spacecraft for a Moho mission. It had LOTS of Delta V. The mission went very smoothly. Except that I had to use F9 a couple of times due to under estimating the time needed to complete a Moho orbit insertion burn.

[FONT=Arial][COLOR=#000000]Ahh, Moho! I did my first mission there in like 0.20. The inevitable rescue mission after my seemingly generous seat-of-the-pants dV allowance came up well short was the first time I ever had to rendezvous two vessels in interplanetary space. Good times! As to it being the hardest spot in the game to reach, I think that depends on how good you are at flying. The surface of Tylo and back may require somewhat less dV, but that landing is a bear![/COLOR][/FONT] [COLOR=windowtext][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR] Edited by herbal space program

While it is close to the sun, you parts only heat up to... what... 400C? 400k?
That's well below the temperature limit of any part. There are few parts with less than a 1200C temperature limit.
If using LV-Ns, you'll get hotter during the capture burn, but other than that... its not a problem.
LV-N heating isn't so bad anymore.

But it is true... the dV needed to capture is really high.
You'll want a high Isp engine because of the dV requirements (ions or nukes), but their low TWR plus really high dV requirement means you'll have a long burn.

Ignore Dr. Oberth... Moho's gravity isn't that strong, start your burn well in advance... as if you want to rendevous and match orbits with moho as if it was an asteroid with no gravity.
Starting your burn well in advance with the LV-Ns also mitigates the overheating from the LV-Ns (which will overheat easier that close to the sun)

It shouldn't have taken a 3000 m/s burn to get an intercept though...
The thing about moho is that if you don't get the intercept just right... the capture burn quickly becomes obscenely expensive... which may be the case if you did a 3000 m/s ejection burn... good luck

[quote name='DMSP']So, I just finished sending out all the parts for my Moho mission.

And it sucked. 3,000 m/s Ejection burns.

Yeah I haven't been there and I already hate it.[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about the trip to or from Moho?

The real hard part is stopping at Moho since you need LOADS of deltaV.

sure you could do gravitational transfers and flybys like NASA does, but that requires a good deal of planning and patience.

[quote name='Pecan']Ohhh, you are probably going to love the capture burn when you [I]do[/I] get there ...

[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://static4.businessinsider.com/image/4fad386beab8eac843000000/its-a-trap-what-happens-when-advertisers-dont-meet-twitters-spending-quotas.jpg[/IMG]

Gosh, that's so true. In terms of delta-V, it's the most challenging one for sure.

The first time I went there (KSP 0.23), I had to launch a rescue ship since I didn't pack enough fuel. When the rescue ship arrived, it docked, and took all of the remaining fuel from the original mission's ship, and still almost ran out on the way home.

I planned my subsequent trips a little better.

[imgur]4VWsv[/imgur]

(PPS: Come to Dres!)[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/001/384/Atrapitis.gif[/IMG]

Indeed it is...

Transfer window planner finally gave me the insight necessary to plan a proper mission to Moho (and 4 failed scan/resource probes) and I still needed to send a refuel probe. Current mission is in progress with an ISRU lander. Given the low gravity, I think I should be in good shape as far as return fuel. In hindsight, I maybe should have put radiators on all this crap. Fortunately the refuel probe has radiators so maybe it will be ok.

I haven't gone there yet - when I do, it's going to either be a mission with an ISRU, or pure ion engines for transfers.

Just slapped around the numbers - I can get almost 10k deltaV with a Hitchhiker [I](and OCTO2, and 2.5m heat shield for aerocapture on return)[/I] and staging 6 big xenon tanks, with a min acceleration of just under 1 m/s/s [I](7 Dawns and 4 Gigantors)[/I] - total mass of about 16 tons. So rescues from Moho orbit are definitely manageable. 1 m/s/s is my personal lower limit of tolerable, and I set up Kerbal Alarm Clock to pause at the end of long burns so I can get some coffee...

Of course, Gigantors get torn off on any kind of aerocapture [I](gah!!!)[/I], so perhaps it would be better to drop the heat shield and invest in an extra 1k to re-circularize at Kerbin. Edited by DancesWithSquirrels

[quote name='DancesWithSquirrels']I haven't gone there yet - when I do, it's going to either be a mission with an ISRU, or pure ion engines for transfers.

Just slapped around the numbers - I can get almost 10k deltaV with a Hitchhiker [I](and OCTO2, and 2.5m heat shield for aerocapture on return)[/I] and staging 6 big xenon tanks, with a min acceleration of just under 1 m/s/s [I](7 Dawns and 4 Gigantors)[/I] - total mass of about 16 tons. So rescues from Moho orbit are definitely manageable. 1 m/s/s is my personal lower limit of tolerable, and I set up Kerbal Alarm Clock to pause at the end of long burns so I can get some coffee...

Of course, Gigantors get torn off on any kind of aerocapture [I](gah!!!)[/I], so perhaps it would be better to drop the heat shield and invest in an extra 1k to re-circularize at Kerbin.[/QUOTE]

Retract those gigantors and they'll be fine. Moho doesn't have an atmosphere to aerobrake [i]with[/i] anyway.

[quote name='GeneCash']What? you can't go to Moho with only 7,217 m/s delta-v using 2 Eve flybys and 8 Moho flybys over 10 years like this guy?
[URL]http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/74375-Lowest-Delta-v-to-Moho/page3[/URL][/QUOTE]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000] [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][COLOR=windowtext][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Although this is an extreme example of multi-assist dV minimization, I’ll bet you can you can knock off a fair bit of dV with just 1 Eve and one Moho flyby. I’m sure you can drop your orbit quite a bit swinging around Eve as well as do a lot of the plane change if you time it right. A subsequent Moho flyby can then probably get you to a 2:1 resonant Moho orbit which can then be relatively cheaply adjusted to re-encounter a low orbital angle. Sounds to me like something fun to try tonight![/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000] [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
:)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.