What happened to the ROAAAAR of a rocket engine? Why does a jet engine sound like a whistle, and not that deep, deep rumbling sound. I wish that engines would crackle as they got far away. I don't know if this would be hard, but for 1.2, or 1.1.5, a complete sound overhaul I would love that.

On ‎23‎.‎01‎.‎2016 at 7:59 AM, Aperture Science Employee said:

Why does a jet engine sound like a whistle, and not that deep, deep rumbling sound.

If you hear your jet engine making a deep rumbling sound you should grab a parachute quickly. The engine is probably disintegrating. ;-)

KSP seriously needs an audio overhaul!

On 1/23/2016 at 7:59 AM, Aperture Science Employee said:

Why does a jet engine sound like a whistle, and not that deep, deep rumbling sound.

Because jet engines reach ridiculously high RPMs, which cause very high pitches, not low ones.

Seriously: they do sound like that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNi5FzB4N9c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ratUZAwM1sQ

Edited by Rodyle

4 hours ago, Rodyle said:

Because jet engines reach ridiculously high RPMs, which cause very high pitches, not low ones.

Seriously: they do sound like that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNi5FzB4N9c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ratUZAwM1sQ

Yes, for startup. But I'm talking about this: https://youtu.be/HGqn_9ecWU0?t=40 That's what I was talking about.

14 hours ago, *Aqua* said:

But inside of or very near the plane you don't hear that.

But does the current sound go anywhere near a realistic one? I'm just suggesting realistic sounds for rockets, and most certainly jet engines. I don't the the whistle we have is anywhere near realistic. And honestly, I'd rather hear a roar than a whistle. It's just better! :)

Man, a sound overhaul is what i have been waiting for, for ages! In addition to the engine and environment sounds i also think KSP should have it's own sound track. Something other than the 5 or so tracks that i have become so sick of.

Also a must is having an awesome sonic boom sound!

8 minutes ago, worir4 said:

Man, a sound overhaul is what i have been waiting for, for ages! In addition to the engine and environment sounds i also think KSP should have it's own sound track. Something other than the 5 or so tracks that i have become so sick of.

What about different mood soundtracks for different planets like this thread suggested: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/130309-mood-music-for-each-planet-or-moon/

8 hours ago, worir4 said:

This got me thinking...do pilots hear their craft's sonic boom? Would you hear any "boom" while having a relative velocity to the craft of zero?

35 minutes ago, Blaarkies said:

This got me thinking...do pilots hear their craft's sonic boom? Would you hear any "boom" while having a relative velocity to the craft of zero?

You wouldn't hear the sonic boom at all. Since you are going faster than sound, the boom wouldn't catch up to you

15 hours ago, Aperture Science Employee said:

But does the current sound go anywhere near a realistic one? I'm just suggesting realistic sounds for rockets, and most certainly jet engines. I don't the the whistle we have is anywhere near realistic. And honestly, I'd rather hear a roar than a whistle. It's just better! :)

Sound doesn't have to be realistic. If so, in the classic external view, we shouldn't get any sound. It should be impressive and immersive. I'm not agains a sonic boom even if unrealistic.

Just look at @maccollo video on RSS trip to Venus. Sound design to a LOT to this video.

Further more, there are a LOT of missing sounds (RCS, docking, airlocks, Kerbals).

Rockets have un very unimpressive sound (listen the KW rocketry sound design, it's much much more impressive)

Music could be improoved too. More contextual music (per planetary body as another topic suggested). Event related (planting flag, landing, final aproach...)

It's very sad that this part moslty rely on mods...

In the end, I hope that KSP 1.2 will be about sound and graphic improovements

Edited by Warzouz

18 minutes ago, TheCanadianVendingMachine said:

You wouldn't hear the sonic boom at all. Since you are going faster than sound, the boom wouldn't catch up to you

Thank you kind Sir:). I came to the same conclusion, but now...what would we hear then? A loud noise from the intense vibrations?

2 hours ago, TheCanadianVendingMachine said:

You wouldn't hear any sound in external view in space, but we still have sound in KSP in space. I suppose the sonic boom isn't that important. I am more interested in engine sounds and soundtracks.

3 hours ago, Blaarkies said:

Thank you kind Sir:). I came to the same conclusion, but now...what would we hear then? A loud noise from the intense vibrations?

But escept in IVA you're not IN the plane (even if in space that would mean no sound...). Also, there could be some stress sounds on the ship/plane as one mod (I forget it's name) was about.

I agree completely with the points above. Maybe the Devs will listen! Since mods, who don't make money, make such good sound tracks, sounds, and modifications, I'm sure the talented, skilled, hardworking KSP devs could work something out! It would be greatly appreciated

13 hours ago, Warzouz said:

-Accidently Quoted Twice

7 hours ago, RocketSquid said:

Actually, in space you might "hear" your engines if they shook the ship a bit.

Also, I think kerbals are likely to be playing rocket sounds and space music over the ship's sound system.

13 hours ago, Warzouz said:

Sound doesn't have to be realistic. If so, in the classic external view, we shouldn't get any sound. It should be impressive and immersive. I'm not agains a sonic boom even if unrealistic.

Just look at @maccollo video on RSS trip to Venus. Sound design to a LOT to this video.

Further more, there are a LOT of missing sounds (RCS, docking, airlocks, Kerbals).

Rockets have un very unimpressive sound (listen the KW rocketry sound design, it's much much more impressive)

Music could be improoved too. More contextual music (per planetary body as another topic suggested). Event related (planting flag, landing, final aproach...)

It's very sad that this part moslty rely on mods...

In the end, I hope that KSP 1.2 will be about sound and graphic improovements

I agree completely with the points above. Maybe the Devs will listen! Since mods, who don't make money, make such good sound tracks, sounds, and modifications, I'm sure the talented, skilled, hardworking KSP devs could work something out! It would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Aperture Science Employee
Quoting Error

Imagine a stock version of that! Sound is extremely important, and it just adds so much fine detail. 

9 minutes ago, Warzouz said:

Check the sound of this video for example (try to ignore the music). Sounds come mainly from KW rocketry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONP9jS14toE

Edited by TheDoctorEmerald

It's possible to add most of those sounds to stock engines using Module Manager. I was tweaking around it few month ago. It's about reusing KW rocketry sounds and edit Part files.

There is not much development in it. Maybe few light modifications to smooth things

18 hours ago, worir4 said:

@*Aqua* The soundtrack for SE is amazing! It has so many soundtracks that i haven't got annoyed with them yet. The gun noises and explosions could do with some work i suppose.

I hope SQUAD takes a look at this. It shouldn't be that hard, and it just adds so much to the game!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.