My new favorite thing to do.

Heckspress

So, basically - you take one of the very few games about spaceflight and exploration. Then using mods you change her into something resembling an awkward, badly optimalised combat sim. Of which there are dozens games about everything - from submarines to planes, from tanks to, yes - spaceships. Better at the fighting part, better looking, with strategy (sometimes) goals etc. Why? Where is your profit? From my point of view it's like using a bicycle to tow full-sized cargo containers. Possible, but pointless.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT70BL_b9t48OLwNA6cQkB

lies! @Scotius

Take your realism elsewhere.. this is KSP in all its glory!! :D

show me a train simulator where you can be anywhere near galaxy railways level of armed spacefaring steam locomotives and diesels?

yes im being factual.. not trolling.. KSP is the only one to come close

Train + weaponry + space flight.. its a thing and its awesome..

last time I tried it though the RCS thrusters tended to make the train arch a bit.. but thinking about it maybe coupling the wagons and the gun battery coach up using KAS so each is its own vehicle might just work

eg..

I take your pointless, belittle it and .. well it doesnt matter.. pointless isnt a thing, neither is  a blood curdling shrieking cry of simply.... "why?!?!!?" :) that im sure you might emit in short order given your above post

enjoy :)

Heckspress, your new thing is awesome.. KSP is for everything.. least of all space flight (with boring rockets) :)

any chance of a video of your exploits? :)

Edited by Overland

:) awesome.. now we're all on the same page.. how about adding some missiles to a moon lander and seeing if it can down another rocket on the descent to the mun.. and yes thats a thing to..(see lunar flight game) BDarmoury is a thing of beauty :)

2 hours ago, Overland said:

:) awesome.. now we're all on the same page.. how about adding some missiles to a moon lander and seeing if it can down another rocket on the descent to the mun.. and yes thats a thing to..(see lunar flight game) BDarmoury is a thing of beauty :)

The only space missiles are the HE-KV-1 missiles and they're broken.

Also no video because I'm too (poor/lazy/I'm actually 12) to get video capture software. Anywhere I could get some for free?

Edited by Heckspress

3 hours ago, Scotius said:

So, basically - you take one of the very few games about spaceflight and exploration. Then using mods you change her into something resembling an awkward, badly optimalised combat sim. Of which there are dozens games about everything - from submarines to planes, from tanks to, yes - spaceships. Better at the fighting part, better looking, with strategy (sometimes) goals etc. Why? Where is your profit? From my point of view it's like using a bicycle to tow full-sized cargo containers. Possible, but pointless.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT70BL_b9t48OLwNA6cQkB

Also, KSP's aerodynamics are weird and it's fun to see the hijinks.

And it's also fun to see how what people deem as "Fighters" at the SCE actually fare in combat.

Mine blow each other up accidentally far too often to for them to want to bother shooting at each other :D

However one of the things I love about this game is it's a massive sandbox and with so many mods about you can do pretty much everything.  I've been making cranes recently, Overland is making trains, someone posted a forklift the other day, there's some fantastic trucks about, submarines seem to be a new thing in 1.05, and there's even people making replicas of WW2 naval ships!

12 minutes ago, RizzoTheRat said:

Mine blow each other up accidentally far too often to for them to want to bother shooting at each other :D

However one of the things I love about this game is it's a massive sandbox and with so many mods about you can do pretty much everything.  I've been making cranes recently, Overland is making trains, someone posted a forklift the other day, there's some fantastic trucks about, submarines seem to be a new thing in 1.05, and there's even people making replicas of WW2 naval ships!

And then I'm here, making shoddily made, mostly unreliable rockets XD

6 hours ago, Heckspress said:

The only space missiles are the HE-KV-1 missiles and they're broken.

Also no video because I'm too (poor/lazy/I'm actually 12) to get video capture software. Anywhere I could get some for free?

http://www.twitch.tv/broadcast

I use open broadcasting software..it can record as well as stream..it outputs big files but! It recorded almost lag free on my old rig that was way underspec for KSP being a core2duo 2gb ram server with ECC class ram :) give it a go

7 hours ago, Choctofliatrio2.0 said:

Hey overland, this may be off topic but I just thought of it. Have you ever driven a train on another planet? Landed each car and assembled it on the surface?

You mean ... Space HypeTrain?

7 hours ago, Choctofliatrio2.0 said:

Hey overland, this may be off topic but I just thought of it. Have you ever driven a train on another planet? Landed each car and assembled it on the surface?

A problem/bug prevents me from it currently.. I drive in cab view..with each update the IVA kraken becomes worse if you uncouple and couple a locomotive to anything..in that the IVA view ends up tied to the docking port half of the time..camera internally ends up locked to the first docking port as verified by cameratools mod

Seeing ones own locomotive from within its own cab is disturbing..

It can be fixed using non-docked KAS magnets and hooks though..  Im hoping squad fixes it now them 2 new staff members are onboard

A similar thing happens if you build anything with more than one cockpit.. Only one will work correctly.. This effects most people.. :(

2 hours ago, Overland said:

..in that the IVA view ends up tied to the docking port half of the time..camera internally ends up locked to the first docking port as verified by cameratools mod

So that is what happened to the IVA camera.  When for fun I decided to assemble a rocket on the lawn using IVA view.  It was all good until the camera starts to view through another dimension.  Now I know.

Trains in space seem to be a very odd combination but then chocolate and peanut butter must have seemed odd too. 

Mmmm train. 

Mm-mmm space. 

Hey you got train in my space. 

Your space is on my train.

What?!

Delicious.

14 hours ago, Scotius said:

Nope. Your Kerbals might fight all day long. Mine are benevolent, pacifist species dedicated to space exploration and betterment of their society through cooperation and scientific advancement.

They are now.. And so would we be if our world was only just reborn from the aftermath of a global nuclear conflict that wiped out all but the lucky few..

Ever wondered why rockets? Surplus nuclear missile parts left in the only standing command center on kerbin

Thousands of years have past and only now can people venture out..even then wearing spacesuits to prevent breathing in radioactive particles

The shielded bunkers wernt quite enough protection.. Mutations resulted in green skin  .. Eyes without eyelids and the complete lack of a nose

Only recently was the females of the kerbal species brought out of stasis..preventing further damage to the kerbal gene pool by the once higher radiation.. 

Kerbin itself without kerbalkind grew green and pure...trees...rocks.. A clear sky free from polution.. A world where the only memories of great empires of kerbal are simple ruins and lost instalations.. Its said one still bears the name KSC2.. Surviving mostly intact because the crater its in absorbed alot of the shockwave during the final days of the war

Great cities have been reclaimed by nature.. Covered and now resemble mountains with great spires..

Billions once lived on this world.. Lost in a terrible war.. They slowly recover.. Exploring a now alien unknown landscape

The lucky ones manage to strap together more complex parts to make spacecraft in search of a new home

The unfortunate ones board trains bound for KSC2 but never return..

Those with a background in the military choose to do battle with one another for reasons unknown..

But make no mistake..

All of this came about due to the most violent warring period of kerbal history..

Pacifists they are... But only because thier terrible ways vaporised everything else

The kerbal has much hidden history we simply dont speak of :)

12 hours ago, RizzoTheRat said:
1 hour ago, Overland said:

They are now.. And so would we be if our world was only just reborn from the aftermath of a global nuclear conflict that wiped out all but the lucky few..

Ever wondered why rockets? Surplus nuclear missile parts left in the only standing command center on kerbin

Thousands of years have past and only now can people venture out..even then wearing spacesuits to prevent breathing in radioactive particles

The shielded bunkers wernt quite enough protection.. Mutations resulted in green skin  .. Eyes without eyelids and the complete lack of a nose

Only recently was the females of the kerbal species brought out of stasis..preventing further damage to the kerbal gene pool by the once higher radiation.. 

Kerbin itself without kerbalkind grew green and pure...trees...rocks.. A clear sky free from polution.. A world where the only memories of great empires of kerbal are simple ruins and lost instalations.. Its said one still bears the name KSC2.. Surviving mostly intact because the crater its in absorbed alot of the shockwave during the final days of the war

Great cities have been reclaimed by nature.. Covered and now resemble mountains with great spires..

Billions once lived on this world.. Lost in a terrible war.. They slowly recover.. Exploring a now alien unknown landscape

The lucky ones manage to strap together more complex parts to make spacecraft in search of a new home

The unfortunate ones board trains bound for KSC2 but never return..

Those with a background in the military choose to do battle with one another for reasons unknown..

But make no mistake..

All of this came about due to the most violent warring period of kerbal history..

Pacifists they are... But only because thier terrible ways vaporised everything else

The kerbal has much hidden history we simply dont speak of :)

And all this sprung from some random astrophysics videogame

Sooooo morbid and depressing :) Mine headcanon is simpler: Aliens did it :D Tall, thin, pink-skinned creatures from far, far away. They built basic structures of KSC, planted stasis pods with genetically engineered small green beings inside and...left. When pods turned off and Kerbals woke, they heard voice in their heads: "This world, this system is yours to explore. Go forth - make your own way there. Find what we left for you. Grow. We'll wait for you...children."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.