Tool Needed: In-Game Tech Tree Editor

inigma

I already know of this tool called Tech Tree Editor, but it doesn't seem to be actively developed, and is buggy: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/89213-win-ted-ksp-tech-tree-editor-v024-alpha-early-testing/

I think the modding community needs is an easier-to-use GUI based tech tree editor - perhaps even incorporated into the game itself - and outputs the result as a MM compatible editedtechtree.cfg.

Desired Features:

1. Be able to open up the R&D Center and select a button to edit the tree.

2. Be able to drag and drop the current tree nodes to new locations

3. Be able to create new nodes, and edit and delete existing ones.

4. Be able to link and de-link nodes at will

5. Be able to drag and drop parts from one node to another

6. Be able to access a GUI list of unassigned parts and be able to drag and drop those unassigned parts into nodes.

7. Ability to save the tree as an Modular Manager syntax compatible export.

Would anyone be up to the challenge. This would make modding tech trees so sanely easier. Thoughts? Possible? Anyone want to try?

Edited by inigma

I gave one to Probus and it might be possible to save that as a MM file, so try that. Here it is: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/89213-win-ted-ksp-tech-tree-editor-v024-alpha-early-testing/

You do need the YongeTech tech tree loader to load it but you should be able to save it after it is installed.

On 2/9/2016 at 4:06 PM, legoclone09 said:

I gave one to Probus and it might be possible to save that as a MM file, so try that. Here it is: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/89213-win-ted-ksp-tech-tree-editor-v024-alpha-early-testing/

You do need the YongeTech tech tree loader to load it but you should be able to save it after it is installed.

Alas, Tech Tree Editor 0.3 is not working - its unable to save part changes to tech tree nodes as stock format/compatible tech trees. Saves just fine using YongeTech format, but requiring users to install YongeTech just to use a tech tree is not really worthwhile - that and its incompatible with Module Manager, making its a bit unwieldy as a solution.

I can use TTE to set up my nodes, that's for sure, but its so buggy right now that I can't just seem to make it work. My original OP suggestion is crying for something simpler and more reliable.

Thoughts?

@legoclone09

The problem seems to be with Tech Tree Editor at the moment. Even if I load it as a YongeTech tree, for some reason I'm running into bugs.

I really hope we could get someone knowledgeable with this area of programming to create an in-game tech tree editor.

46 minutes ago, inigma said:

@legoclone09

The problem seems to be with Tech Tree Editor at the moment. Even if I load it as a YongeTech tree, for some reason I'm running into bugs.

I really hope we could get someone knowledgeable with this area of programming to create an in-game tech tree editor.

Yeah, I wish there was an editor. For the Tech Tree editor, on the last page someone made a update that saves it in the new format. I haven't tried it, though.

1 minute ago, legoclone09 said:

Yeah, I wish there was an editor. For the Tech Tree editor, on the last page someone made a update that saves it in the new format. I haven't tried it, though.

The new version is 0.3 - I tried it. It saves it in YongTech format and stock, but stock is bugged. YongTech works fine... mostly, but it requires the player to download YongTech separately and makes the tech tree not compatible with MM patches.

Edited by inigma

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.