game lags with big spaceships or planes

Hello guy's,

I have the problem that the game is laggy when i build big ships over -+200 parts.

my system is:

mb: asrock 870 extreme rv2

proc: phenom 2 x6 1100T 3,2 ghz

Ram: 8gb

Video: amd radeon r9 200 2gb

Running on w8.1 64

Is my system to old? (mb and processor are +5 years old)

Do i need more ram? 8 >16gb

(where can i send my dxdiag or ksp log file to?)

Edited by Tetter

Most likely you're simply running into the limitations in KSP. More memory won't help a single bit, KSP is 32bit and can not use memory beyond 3.8GB.
Your best options are to try to reduce the physics load by reducing settings. And of course wait for the KSP 1.1 release. (Don't ask when, nobody knows!) KSP 1.1 promises a great improvement in performance as it will be running on unity5 and be 64. (If of course all rumours are true and SQUAD delivers.)

Could be useful:

Edited by Tex_NL

a) KSP 1.0.5 is massively single-threaded.

Intel Processors from SandyBridge and up have very high single-thread performance, thanks to optimized internal bus.

Unfortunately, older K8 AMD Processor architecture was less efficient than older Intel Westmere architecture in turns of performance per thread per watt.

Also, current AMD Processor architecture, relies on high clock to remain competitive in single-thread performance - particularly - FX 6350, yet you already possess chip with similar single-thread rating.

However (and unfortunately), its much less power-efficient than current Intel and about equal to older Intel Westmere in power consumption, yet runs at higher clock (reducing potential overclocking headroom).

Look at Geekbench single core score here.

This is, of course, single-thread dependence is a limitation of KSP, which in turn, is limitation of Unity current KSP is using.

b) KSP x64 bit is very stable on Linux. For example, Debian GNU/Linux - is Linux OS that can be installed anywhere, from ISS to PC to toaster - and supports all major features Windows or Mac have and runs also on x86 hardware.

Instability of x64 Windows and Mac is also limitation of Unity version, current KSP is using.

These two problems are very well known.

What you can do - are workarounds :

a) to solve need for huge rockets:

- build re-usable single- or two-stage to orbit rockets. Deliver fuel with clampotrons with them into orbit and land near KSC for over 90% price recovery (10k typical).

- similar scenario, but using SSTO spaceplanes to deliver fuel. Takes more time though.

- use some kind of orbital robot to fetch fuel and attach it to your inter-space vessel using docking. Fly inter-planetary missions using this vessel. Release depleted fuel tanks similar to asparagus-principle to maximize ISP.

b) to solve problems with parts count:

- use above workarounds to minimize the need for large ships and or

- turn off or set to low the surface FX, aerodynamic FX, surface detail and or

- overclock your CPU (AMD Phenom II x4-x6 are very good overclockers) using water cooling - this however will require additional knowledge, cost and increased power use and or

- purchase an Intel CPU with high single-thread performance

Finally ... wait until original two bugs are fixed and install the patch to run x4-x6 times faster using x4-x6 more cores.*

*actual results may wary and there is no guarantee for fitness to particular purpose.

thx for the reply's guy's

When does this bug will be fixed?

Playing from day 1 this game is launched on max settings so i like the nice graphs.

But since al the new updates the game gets harder to play for my pc.

That wont stop me from playing ksp.:lol:

I will go find me a nice intel system amd sucks any ways newest amd processor is always beaten by intel 2nd best processor.

only nice about amd is the prize.  

Edited by Tetter

Ksp is simply very poorly optimized in its current state and we are all waiting for the 64bit and multicore support; that is why things are slow for you.

My rig:

Intel 4690k Watercooled OC to 4.25ghz

8gb of memory 

2X   HD6950 gpu's (not overclocked since ksp does not like OC'd gpu's)

and a 480gb SSD

And with my 220 part 200t SSTO is climbing I get average 5 fps. everything else gets on average 15-20 fps, so its not so much your hardware then it is the single thread usage and the CPU processing needed. This is with delta physics time at its lowest setting; 1 second in game is 3-4 seconds real time, Were all hoping 1.1 brings a good boost with it

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.