[Support] Problem with Kerbal EVA Gamepad Controls

System:  Windows 10 64-bit, Intel i5-4690, 8 GB RAM, AMD r9 280 3GB

I did a clean install v1.1 GOG version

buildID.txt says:     build id = 012302016.04.19 at 19:27:27 CESTBranch: master

Unmodded

I'm using an Xbox 360 controller.  I've done the mapping and the controller works fine in flight and vehicle modes, but when I have a Kerbal on EVA the controls are unresponsive.
Also, after having tried the controller, if I go back to the keyboard the a, s, d, w keys ALL only move the Kerbal forward.

If I turn on the Kerbals jetpack the controller works to control the RCS except for the triggers that I have mapped to rotate.  If I fly up and then try to rotate, the RCS animation shows but no rotation occurs.  If I go back to the keyboard and press Q or E rotation no longer works either and NO RCS animation now shows for rotation keyboard inputs.

If I use the keyboard before trying the controller, the keys work fine, but after touching the controller analog sticks it messes up the keyboard as well.

I've tested this in both career mode and during tutorials with the same results.

Anyone else come across this issue, or have a suggestions?

DxDiag.txt        https://www.dropbox.com/s/t95ni7bl7l3oain/DxDiag.txt?dl=0

Output_Log.txt https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ltbn9yj4aha1q7/output_log-controls.txt?dl=0

KSP.log            https://www.dropbox.com/s/m3bxxkhmvxmqvh3/KSP.log?dl=0

settings.cfg     https://www.dropbox.com/s/w22j01zhb3lkrqp/settings.cfg?dl=0

Edited by liquidhand
more info

On 2016-04-23 at 0:32 AM, liquidhand said:

System:  Windows 10 64-bit, Intel i5-4690, 8 GB RAM, AMD r9 280 3GB

I did a clean install v1.1 GOG version

buildID.txt says:     build id = 012302016.04.19 at 19:27:27 CESTBranch: master

Unmodded

I'm using an Xbox 360 controller.  I've done the mapping and the controller works fine in flight and vehicle modes, but when I have a Kerbal on EVA the controls are unresponsive.
Also, after having tried the controller, if I go back to the keyboard the a, s, d, w keys ALL only move the Kerbal forward.

If I turn on the Kerbals jetpack the controller works to control the RCS except for the triggers that I have mapped to rotate.  If I fly up and then try to rotate, the RCS animation shows but no rotation occurs.  If I go back to the keyboard and press Q or E rotation no longer works either and NO RCS animation now shows for rotation keyboard inputs.

If I use the keyboard before trying the controller, the keys work fine, but after touching the controller analog sticks it messes up the keyboard as well.

I've tested this in both career mode and during tutorials with the same results.

Anyone else come across this issue, or have a suggestions?

I have the exact same problem, only difference is I'm using the Steam x64 install and an Xbox One controller. Doesn't help to press Alt or changing camera angle either. 

5 hours ago, Ampen said:

I have the exact same problem, only difference is I'm using the Steam x64 install and an Xbox One controller. Doesn't help to press Alt or changing camera angle either. 

Thanks Ampen for joining in.  I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I added my game logs and such so hopefully a moderator or someone can peak in on this thread and maybe have some suggestions.

On 2016-04-25 at 0:50 AM, liquidhand said:

Thanks Ampen for joining in.  I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I added my game logs and such so hopefully a moderator or someone can peak in on this thread and maybe have some suggestions.

Yeah, no sweat, I've had some serious issues with this, tried to find a solution but hasn't found any. Was a relief for me as well to see I'm not the only one with the issue.

17 hours ago, sal_vager said:

Silly question but did you bind the pad to the walk controls or just to the jetpack?

Also please post your logs and settings.cfg file, thanks.

Yes, I've tried all configs I can imagine. Thing is, there's also the default configuration still in place W-A-S-D, but when using it instead I still get the same issue, kerbals are only moving forward. Providing settings, don't know where to find the logs I'm afraid.

What I can say though is I think this all started when Microsoft changed the control layout on the gamepads, at least it is done on the X-box One controller. While earlier the LT and the RT buttons shared the Z axis, with neutral having the axis in the middle and LT moving it down and RT moving it up, LT now is alone on Z axis, neutral is null and pressing give full response, while RT has a new feedback called Z rotation, where neutral is null and pressing give full respons.

My settings.

Is this an old settings.cfg?  Your input devices shows the controller incorrectly.

INPUT_DEVICES
{
    Controller (XBOX 360 For. = 0
}

Try moving the file somewhere safe so KSP generates a new one, you should see the full name of the controller.

14 hours ago, sal_vager said:

Is this an old settings.cfg?  Your input devices shows the controller incorrectly.

That's my settings.cfg from v1.1.  I didn't have any other version installed.

14 hours ago, sal_vager said:

Try moving the file somewhere safe so KSP generates a new one, you should see the full name of the controller.

Tried that and the controller is still listed with that name in the newly generated settings.cfg.  The controller works fine if I bind it for any other actions in any of the other controller categories.  The problem only occurs when any of the pitch, yaw, or roll under the kerbal control section is bound to an analog axis.

I can use the analog controls just fine for flight or docking or during ground vehicle control.  It's only when binding the pitch, yaw, or roll for kerbal control that the problem happens.

Edited by liquidhand
spelling

I just updated KSP to v1.1.2 and the controller name is now listed as "xbox 360 for windows", but unfortunately the real problem I'm having didn't get fixed.

I did some more testing and discovered, if the kerbal's movement gets locked in one axis from trying the analog control, if I press the "orient to view" button it seems to fix keyboard control.  At least sometimes.  A couple times when I pressed the "orient to view" button it seemed to lock the kerbal into spinning around, but pressing "orient to view" again restored normal movement with the keyboard.  Weird.

• 5 months later...

Same issue here still. I tried this out again now that 1.2 is out, since where I was I was doing alot of docking and EVAs. Thing is, I'm using basically the same setup for docking operations as for kerbal EVAs. When doing docking operations with crafts there's no issue at all, but as soon as a kerbal goes EVA, and that's equally true wheter it's in space or on a celestial body of some sort, the orientation is messed up. They spin in space and doesn't move correctly on planets. Weird thing is it can't be helped with keyboard controls either.

The controller works without issues in other games, I might add.

• 2 months later...

I found another post with a similar issue, where the suggestion was made to alter the config file as below, wich seems to have sorted the issue for me at least.

EVA_ROTATE_ON_MOVE = False

In case anyone else run into this issue I figured I'd post this here. File to be edited is the settings.cfg, and can be found in the KSP main folder. 

Furthermore, backtracking some it seems this started for me with a new set of drivers for the x-box controller some time ago, wich made the RT and LT buttons share the Z-axis, wich they did not do earlier, but instead had one axis each. Once this was altered and RT and LT shared the Z-axis, that made the Z-axis always have at least 50% indication since it then ranged from 0% (LT pushed fully) to 100% (RT pushed fully) and a neutral of 50%. Once that was introduced, my kerbals started spinning while on EVA.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.