16 minutes ago, KamenRiderzero1 said:

I know I should have put the tanks on the cruise stage instead, but I just didn't feel like it.

Let me stress this again:

On 5/2/2016 at 6:57 AM, 5thHorseman said:

If you cannot slow your craft by 50m/s in a few (less than 5) seconds, you need more engines. At least, until you're more comfortable landing. "More engines" here could also be "Less stuff to push around."

That monoprop is stuff you're pushing around that you don't need to. It's like you don't know how to crawl yet and you're trying to ride a unicycle.

• Lose the monoprop.
  • Mk1 lander can instead of a Mk2.
  • Use the similarly smaller fuel tanks and engines (The Terrier's great)

Really, you're trying to do too much. landers that size are fine once you've got a handle on things. For now, learn the process in as difficulty-free a method as possible.

2 hours ago, KamenRiderzero1 said:

For the record, I know exactly what I'm doing, I just prefer to build my ships to safety standards that make NASA look negligent.

Oh oops I thought you were the OP. Yeah if you know what you're doing go to town :)

I was going to try and find that video, and here it is.  The only comment I would make is that the video is quite old now, and was made before the Mun was re-worked.  In that video it is quite flat, which allows him to skim along just above the surface for quite some way whilst he kills his horizontal velocity.  These days the Mun has quite a few more hills so you have to kill the horizontal velocity a little higher up if you want to be sure of not running in to anything, but the principles he demonstrates still hold true.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.