Game hangs when I try to load a saved ship in SPH/VAB

KSP hangs - permanently - when I try to load a saved ship. However, this is not with every ship, just most of them. And - as far as I can tell - always on a more complex ship with more parts. 

This happened in 1.1.1, and is now happening in 1.1.2. I updated all mods to current releases. 

I am running a heavily modded save. My assumption, based on the fact that it's not all ships - is that this must be due to an issue with one of my modded parts. And it must be one that I use often, given how many ships are affected. 

But it's difficult to work out. Because to test things, I have to keep trying to load ships, and every time in hangs, I have to close and reload, which takes over 5 minutes. 

Is there any quicker way to determine which part is responsible, or do I need to suck it up and spend a few hours doing trial and error?

Edited by Oafman

Well, assuming it is one or more particular parts then I would suggest finding the smallest vessel you have that reliably hangs and then create test vessels using the various parts that vessel uses (search the craft file for "part = " without the quotes) until you find one that causes it.  Try to more unusual parts first, or compare a few different craft files to find the ones they use in common (if more than one then this could be tricky).

Also, take a look at the end of the output_log.txt or player.log file to see if there is any indication of what the problem might be.  It might also be an idea to upload a complete log so people can take a look for anything else that could be a concern...

Thanks. The suggestion to make the trial and error search quicker seems like a good one. 

I will post the output log later. Perhaps that will suggest whether or not this is an issue with a specific part; I've been assuming it is, but I guess it could be something else. 

It was the Procedural nose cones! Both LFO and structural. 

I found it by rebuilding a ship that wouldn't load previously, saving with a new name every time i added a new part, and clicking through them until I found the one that wouldn't load.

53 minutes ago, Oafman said:

It was the Procedural nose cones! Both LFO and structural. 

I found it by rebuilding a ship that wouldn't load previously, saving with a new name every time i added a new part, and clicking through them until I found the one that wouldn't load.

Good work.  Hopefully those folks can help further with diagnosing/fixing the actual problem...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.