A fun little adventure.

Gman_builder

The rescue mission.

To keep things simple, this will not be a fan-fiction style adventure, I am just documenting my journey as I drive around Kerbin to rescue two stranded pilots.

A little backstory, Tedbur and Linbelle Kermin were attempting a long distance flight as far as I could manage before I had to turn back. Their plane was originally intended a VTOL craft that used Panther turbojets as the main engines in the back, those proved to not have enough power so I switched them out for a pair of Whiplashes. But I forgot to switch my subsonic intakes for Ram air intakes. I didn't realize this until I was already far away from the KSC and accelerating quickly. Engine 1 flamed out because it was not receiving enough intake air and I had to continue on 1 engine. This limited me to staying below 12 thousand meters or I couldn't sustain supersonic flight on my 1 engine. As you may know, if your at lower altitudes your engines are much less efficient and burn through fuel more quickly, so ran out of fuel much sooner than I expected.

nTzX8VQ.png

They were flying a modified version of this plane, fitted with Whiplashes.

I made my descent and decided to do a VTOL landing right on top of the KSC 2 (I kinda had no other option) and I thought I could make something fun out of it!

6sRQW8w.png

I have wanted to take on the Elcano challenge for a while and I thought this could be a great opportunity to do a real field test of my latest and greatest self sustaining rover, The Chariot.   This model is outfitted with a special science package(and since I use remote tech) it is designed for use on Kerbin. I went overboard on the antenna but its nothing special, I would have to modify it further for use on other planets or moon. The suspension is also optimized for a high gravity environment, trust me it makes a difference.

cZiSV3Z.png

So in this topic I am going to document the several thousand kilometer trip from the KSC to the crash sight by land. As this rover cannot swim, I have to go the long way all the way up to the north pole and back down to avoid the water and back again. This might be updated daily, or weekly depending on how motivated or how much driving I do for the day. Stay tuned and enjoy!

6 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

Due to a apparent bug in the game, Tedbus Linbelle, and their plane have vanished. Without a trace. But I will continue with the drive anyway.

The kraken ate them

2 hours ago, 322997am said:

The kraken ate them

Well, if you really want to know. Apparently craft on the Launchpad of the KSC 2 also register as on the Launchpad of the KSC1!!! So you would either have to move or recover your craft from KSC 2 if you want to launch from KSC 1. Which makes no sense at all. But I reported the bug so its all good.

6 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Moved your mission report over to Mission Reports. :) 

Oh thanks, didn't realize I had it in the wrong area.

Edited by Gman_builder

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 4:15 PM, Gman_builder said:

Well, if you really want to know. Apparently craft on the Launchpad of the KSC 2 also register as on the Launchpad of the KSC1!!! So you would either have to move or recover your craft from KSC 2 if you want to launch from KSC 1. Which makes no sense at all. But I reported the bug so its all good.

I ran into this same thing early on in my story.  I had parked Thompberry's saucer on the pad at the KSC2, and found I couldn't launch anything from the pad at KSC1.  This was long before the bug reporting system they have now, so I'm glad you reported it.

3 hours ago, Just Jim said:

I ran into this same thing early on in my story.  I had parked Thompberry's saucer on the pad at the KSC2, and found I couldn't launch anything from the pad at KSC1.  This was long before the bug reporting system they have now, so I'm glad you reported it.

Ya I had originally planned on continuing with my drive but I had no reason and no motivation after they vanished. I'm assuming you figured out that my rover was based heavily on your rovers :D 

8 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

Ya I had originally planned on continuing with my drive but I had no reason and no motivation after they vanished. I'm assuming you figured out that my rover was based heavily on your rovers :D 

I saw.
I'll let you in on a secret, after they fixed the wheels in 1.1, the Chariots don't work too well on Kerbin.  They just can't pick up enough speed to climb hills.

9 hours ago, Just Jim said:

I saw.
I'll let you in on a secret, after they fixed the wheels in 1.1, the Chariots don't work too well on Kerbin.  They just can't pick up enough speed to climb hills.

Ya i definitely noticed that. But because they work on differential motor power for steering, you can just tap A and D really fast and the wheels can output 270% power. I got one up to 96 m/s in a speed run by doing that. So it is usually enough to get where you need to do at the expense of 270% electricity consumption.

Edited by Gman_builder

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.