Muti Attach for parts

I wanted some way we can attach parts at two points. Best example would be two radial decouplers holding a rocket booster. Or for a craft to go to and from dual/quad couplers without docking ports. Or like twin tail aircraft that merges at end.I know we can put struts but still not as strong or asthetic.

BTW I did some digging and found out that KSP uses a tree method to attach parts. Dont know if they can or will change this system.

Meanwhile someone can implement something that would weld clipped parts together. This might also solve the problem with custom wings.

The strut was explicitly designed to overcome this limitation in the craft files.  They are small and can be easily hidden, and they are practically invincible.

The attachment tree isn't going to change, it would require rewriting most of the game.... the physics, the fuel flow logic, the editor controls, nearly all of KSP relies on that tree logic.  It's not just a file format.

Like I said game engine could implement welding of clipped parts.

I know struts can be used but it tedious for making wings out of many parts and adding struts to each.(Also when I edit wings and then have to check and/or add struts again)

21 hours ago, Alshain said:

The strut was explicitly designed to overcome this limitation in the craft files.  They are small and can be easily hidden, and they are practically invincible.

The attachment tree isn't going to change, it would require rewriting most of the game.... the physics, the fuel flow logic, the editor controls, nearly all of KSP relies on that tree logic.  It's not just a file format.

There is nothing to prevent the representation to the player to act differently, though. Players should be pretty oblivious as to how something is built up internally.

Basically, if you attach two radial decouplers above each other and slap a part on them, both should act like they are attached in the same manner. That the internal "trick" for that is to add an invisible strut is not relevant from a player's perspective.

Similarly if you place a tri-coupler and place an inverted tri-coupler on top of it so all of the attachment nodes line up. The tree would only "attach" by one of the nodes, but the other ones should just form invisble struts just like the case is with docking ports right now.

My thoughts are along the same lines as @Stoney3K above.  I understand that the game needs to use the 'tree structure', but some kind of 'auto strut' mechanism for multiple anchor points (such as multiple docking ports) would be a good work around. 

That said, I am not a programmer so have no idea how easy or hard this would be to implement, or what other implications could arise. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.