Vessels spinning out of control

Whenever I switch to my space station, it starts abruptly spinning, despite me not touching the keyboard whatsoever. Even after time-warping, the space station still starts spinning for no reason again. The SAS and RCS are both enabled, and the space station has reaction wheels and RCS thrusters. I have restarted the game twice and still nothing is fixing this. Any advice would be appreciated.

5 hours ago, ludan02 said:

Whenever I switch to my space station, it starts abruptly spinning, despite me not touching the keyboard whatsoever. Even after time-warping, the space station still starts spinning for no reason again. The SAS and RCS are both enabled, and the space station has reaction wheels and RCS thrusters. I have restarted the game twice and still nothing is fixing this. Any advice would be appreciated.

I have found that sas can actually exacerbate the problem.  Turn off your sas and see if the space station settles down after a restart

On 7/24/2016 at 10:14 PM, Papa_Joe said:

I have found that sas can actually exacerbate the problem.  Turn off your sas and see if the space station settles down after a restart

Turning off SAS slowed down the spinning a little, but it didn't completely stop.

On 7/25/2016 at 11:43 AM, Violent Jeb said:

Have you accidentally applied some trim? I do this from time to time. Try hitting mod-x (alt-x in my case) to reset trim and see if that fixes it (you can also see if trim is being applied because your indicator in the bottom right will show a rotational torque (not in the middle)

If not this then I have no idea

I tried turning off the trim, and it didn't work :(

On 7/25/2016 at 4:03 PM, Nansuchao said:

I had a similar issue on a station that had more than one SAS module perpendicular to each other. One was on the main body of the station the other on a side module. I solved deactivating the side SAS.

My station does have perpendicular reaction wheels, but disengaging the SAS still didn't stop the spinning :(

Sorry about the late replies BTW, I've been kinda busy this week :P

If it slowed down the spinning, then SAS was likely the issue... you may need to apply some small counterthrust to completely stop it... a body in motion tends to stay in motion...

The trick will be when and were to apply... you can just make it worse if not properly applied

Edited by Papa_Joe

17 hours ago, Papa_Joe said:

If it slowed down the spinning, then SAS was likely the issue... you may need to apply some small counterthrust to completely stop it... a body in motion tends to stay in motion...

The trick will be when and were to apply... you can just make it worse if not properly applied

It worked! :D Now if only I could find out why the SAS is causing this...

46 minutes ago, ludan02 said:

It worked! :D Now if only I could find out why the SAS is causing this...

Excellent.  It is a relic of the past... SAS has been an issue in game for years.  As @Nansuchao said, perpendicular SAS will fight with each other, and create torsional forces on your space station.   Think of it like this.  SAS is a reactional activity, based on relative motion.  so you experience an affect called "chasing the ball" used by flight instructors to denote novice pilots trying to stay at a given altitude by reacting to the altimeter, instead of anticipating it.  

I've built maybe a dozen stations or so.. .some pretty large, across several planets (yes, the hard way, not via hyperedit :) ), and I had experienced these issues also... so as a rule I now leave  SAS off for stations.

Edited by Papa_Joe

2 hours ago, Papa_Joe said:

Excellent.  It is a relic of the past... SAS has been an issue in game for years.  As @Nansuchao said, perpendicular SAS will fight with each other, and create torsional forces on your space station.   Think of it like this.  SAS is a reactional activity, based on relative motion.  so you experience an affect called "chasing the ball" used by flight instructors to denote novice pilots trying to stay at a given altitude by reacting to the altimeter, instead of anticipating it.  

I've built maybe a dozen stations or so.. .some pretty large, across several planets (yes, the hard way, not via hyperedit :) ), and I had experienced these issues also... so as a rule I now leave  SAS off for stations.

So it turns out the problem was trim, but KSP was ignoring Alt+X and it didn't reset. The SAS was exacerbating the problem though, and I'll follow your advice and keep it off on stations in the future. Thanks for the help! :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.