CKAN for Mac?

limeyptwo

BACK UP EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU START THAT INSTALL. make sure you have a lot of spare space on your boot drive, as the Mono framework install is extremely heavy. And settle in for a while, don't expect it to succeed on the first try. All in all, I find it much preferable to install mods manually for Mac and ignore CKAN

Edited by fourfa

• 8 months later...
43 minutes ago, horace said:

cant open CKAN now

go to your terminal and type "mono" put a space, then drag your ckan app into the terminal and press enter 

13 hours ago, ISE said:

go to your terminal and type "mono" put a space, then drag your ckan app into the terminal and press enter 

not working too the terminal said 

Cannot open assembly '/Users/katherine/Applications/CKAN-2.app': File does not contain a valid CIL image.Cannot open assembly '/Users/katherine/Applications/CKAN-2.app': File does not contain a valid CIL image.

8 hours ago, horace said:

not working too the terminal said 

Cannot open assembly '/Users/katherine/Applications/CKAN-2.app': File does not contain a valid CIL image.Cannot open assembly '/Users/katherine/Applications/CKAN-2.app': File does not contain a valid CIL image.

try putting the .ckan on your desktop, then doing the steps again. Also, I have windows now, but I might have mixed up the order of which the mono and ckan were put in. try reversing it by dragging the .ckan from your desktop into the terminal, then typing a space and then "mono". That might fix it. 

9 hours ago, horace said:

Cannot open assembly '/Users/katherine/Applications/CKAN-2.app': File does not contain a valid CIL image.

The main CKAN binary is a .exe file, that 'ckan.app' is just a helper to make launching it on a Mac easier (no need to start it from a terminal). You need both files in the same directory to use it, don't launch it with mono, just run it like a native app.
Alternatively, running CKAN directly (without the .app) on MacOSX should be the same as any other UNIX derivative: Open a terminal in the directory containing ckan.exe and 'mono ./ckan.exe'

35 minutes ago, ISE said:

I might have mixed up the order of which the mono and ckan were put in

No, it is mono [options] <binary>.
The confusion here is 'ckan.app'. Don't try to run it with mono, in fact I would suggest ignoring it entirely until ckan.exe is verified working properly.
A secondary source of confusion is this business of "dragging" things into the terminal, which makes it impossible to divine what the actual command line being used is.

Edited by steve_v

20 hours ago, steve_v said:

The main CKAN binary is a .exe file, that 'ckan.app' is just a helper to make launching it on a Mac easier (no need to start it from a terminal). You need both files in the same directory to use it, don't launch it with mono, just run it like a native app.
Alternatively, running CKAN directly (without the .app) on MacOSX should be the same as any other UNIX derivative: Open a terminal in the directory containing ckan.exe and 'mono ./ckan.exe'

No, it is mono [options] <binary>.
The confusion here is 'ckan.app'. Don't try to run it with mono, in fact I would suggest ignoring it entirely until ckan.exe is verified working properly.
A secondary source of confusion is this business of "dragging" things into the terminal, which makes it impossible to divine what the actual command line being used is.

I was referring to the ckan[.exe] file, but im just explaining how I got it to work, a month ago. Running CKAN on mac, is by far much harder than running it on windows. So much confusion is to be expected. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.