Kentipede: Modular mobile base

After completing a contract for a mobile base, I noticed that there are few published mobile bases, most of them single-service. I decided to try my hand at creating a modular model. I succeeded, technically, though there is no provision for launch or for assembly. I recommend that existing infrastructure be used to assemble it on-orbit, or simply that it be launched in one piece under a giant fairing. The download can be found at KerbalX, along with an Imgur gallery and a silly toy-commercial write-up.

Updated on 10/25 with a slightly reduced wheel height. The whole thing should now actually fit inside of a Size3 fairing(fairing included in craft file for demonstration). Additionally, I've replaced the Swivel engines with Vectors, which should allow a fully assembled Kentipede to land under its own power, if you can provide the deltaV(I recommend drop tanks. A Big Red, attached at the rear, provides roughly 1400 dV, and can serve as a lithobrake when depleted.).

Edited by SingABrightSong
Addenda

Another update, this time I've refactored the Kentipede so that the wheel attachments are at 90 degrees rather than 45. The carriage rides a lot lower now, which combines to allow the twin Vectors with only 10 kNm of torque. Should also make launches much more stable. Unfortunately, the lower carriage means that the particularly cool-looking bottom hatch is now broken, but I've added ladders to the cupola to make it so you can still EVA.

One last update for today. I've added a new module, that being a cool-looking NERV cap for more efficient maneuvers, and added Klaws to the bottom of the ISRU wheel modules, in case anyone wants to try asteroid hopping(feel free to tear them out if you don't). I've also added a single pair of RTGs to the hab module, and clipped QBEs into every module for planetside assembly, if any of you all dare to attempt it. As adding the NERV caps blocked the ladders, I made what I think is a sufficiently cool-looking EVA setup by extending a ladder down the *front* of the cupola.

In addition, two more videos have been included on the KerbalX page. Unfortunately, there are all terrible quality. I am going to have to find a better screen capture utility.

I hate to triple-post, but I keep working on this blasted thing and there's not all that much activity in this thread(I mean, there's some pretty big names liking my posts, but I'm more-or-less the only one posting replies).

Latest update adds parachutes and a heatshield module(packaged on the front, recommended to be moved to the back if actually used), questionably useful ion and monopropellant engines, corrects certain issues with the tanks, and enables autostrut on literally everything. I probably can't make it do everything, but I'll settle for a one-way trip to anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

I should probably have posted this in the WIP design thread, first, given that I'm up to quadruple-posting now, but the Kentipede has been updated to Mark III. The form factor has been redesigned, so that you should actually be able to dock the modules together on the surface now, but unfortunately there is now no way to fit it in a cargo bay. The side modules have been phased out in favour of directly attached wheels, to limit part count and save players the hassle of trying to dock them. The NERV has been phased out for impractically long burn times, with a massive LFO transport being provided instead(Three parts, to be attached in LKO). Still ion engines, in case you can stand the burn times, but the xenon is there mostly for fulfilling contract parameters. The package includes one of each module, but if you're accepting contracts for mobile bases you're going to be needing none of some and multiples of others.

@MrLake Ah, guess the new filename changed the URL. Try https://kerbalx.com/SingABrightSong/Kentipede-MkIII

Another small update, here. Crossfade has been enabled on the rear of the science module, RCS thrusters have been added to the ISRU module, the internal QBEs are now forward-facing, and the LFO transport has been made fully modular.

Edited by SingABrightSong
Update

And a major revision this time. The Kentipede MkIV is now available. It replaced the XL-3 wheels with TR-2Ls, making the Kentipede, at last, Mk3-compliant. This means that you can haul the modules to orbit, or even to their destination, inside of your favorite cargo shuttles. However, the smaller wheels are slightly weaker, and the base being shorter and narrower than the MkIII Kentipede means that it can no longer traverse hazardous terrain with impunity. It can still pull a full U-turn at 20m/s at the KSC, but I recommend sticking to 10m/s on anything less a perfectly flat surface.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.