KSP not working properly Launcher/6DOF

Dear Sir or Madam,

as stated in Bugs #13206, #13207 and #13208 KSP is not working properly. I was refered to this forum since the devs assumed a problem with my installation. However i reinstalled KSP and could reproduce ALL bugs:

• Bug #13206: Launcher: Apply and Accept do the same thing (nothing?)
  • Bug #13207: Launcher: Audio Settings All 0
  • Bug #13208: Cannot assign keys of 6-DOF

A screen capture (2:24) is available on youtube showing the behaviours. (I did not see an attachment  button in this input view). Hope this clears the bugs up!

As a last note: I am a aerospace engineer, so when i come home from thinking about rockets irl, i start playing with them in ksp for funz :-) KSP is awesome keep up the good work!

Cheers Jens

Welcome to the Support section jensgw, where we can try to find out why these issues are occurring for you and resolve them, as they are not reproducible here and these are the first reports of this kind it is too early to know if these are bugs in the game or a problem with your install.

With a fresh install of KSP you should see this in the Launcher settings for audio.

xwlL7Qe.png

The Apply button will apply any changes made without exiting the settings manager, the Accept button will apply any changes and exit the manager, Cancel will return you to the Launcher main screen and will revert any changes made since last clicking on Apply.

I checked on Linux and on Windows, the volumes are present in the launcher and the Apply and Accept buttons are working correctly, you can see this in the youtube videos below.

As this is working it suggests that there is a local issue which technical support can resolve, rather than expend developer resources on an issue that may prove to be external.

So I'd like to draw your attention to this thread.

You say you have already tried reinstalling KSP but that would not rule out a corrupted download, so what I would like from you is your game logs, please upload to dropbox.com or a similar site the KSP.log, output_log.txt and dxdiag hardware report from your PC.

Please also tell us the make and model of the 6-DOF device you are using.

Thank you.

The launcher/updater has been a mess ever since the first day it was introduced. To my knowledge it has never functioned as it should and is riddled with bugs and errors.
The solution is as simple as it can be: Don't use the launcher/updater! Go straight to your installation folder and use the executable instead. The launcher/updater does not add anything that can't be done without it.

The launcher was recently updated and no longer downloads the patcher, the launcher is perfectly usable for starting KSP and for setting many options external to the game, for example to correct the 'cannot switch to monitor resolution' issue that arises when the Unity engine is given a resolution setting it is unable to use.

In this case the launcher is not working correctly for an unknown reason, nor is the players 6-DOF device, so I'd like to find out why.

Thank you for the quick reply! 

Your videos present it working, which points to maybe some weird issue on my system. I will investigate further and try with a new download. I'l report back later.

The hm "unwanted behaviour" startet with KSP 1.2 and persists in KSP 1.2.1.

The two launcher issues are not that important since it work in game. 

However the issue with the 6-DOF key assignments (#13208) seems more pressing since ther is no workaround (see end of the above screencapture).

Hey there, 

tried with a fresh download of KSP (v1.2.1 build 01604 Windows 64-bit). Still no luck with the 6-DOF issue,

KSP is extracted here: C:\Games

output_log.txt: http://pastebin.com/wSw2JtVm

KSP.log: http://pastebin.com/3FmecXpq

DxDiag.txt: http://pastebin.com/eTvQ2M1T

Some news about the launcher. When KSP is startet for the first time (fresh install!) with the launcher, the mentioned issues arise, looks like it is not initalised correctly. When you start KSP for the second time the launcher works as expected. In both cases the 6-DOF keys are still greyed out and cannot be reasigned, but the predefiend key is working in game.

Ceers Jens

Edited by jensgw

13 hours ago, jensgw said:

Some news about the launcher. When KSP is startet for the first time (fresh install!) with the launcher, the mentioned issues arise, looks like it is not initalised correctly. When you start KSP for the second time the launcher works as expected. In both cases the 6-DOF keys are still greyed out and cannot be reasigned, but the predefiend key is working in game.

Ceers Jens

It looks like you have found something that Squad can fix their end, as the launcher doesn't store any settings itself, it uses the same settings.cfg file that the game uses, which is no longer in the zip or installer and is created by KSP when it first runs.

So to fix your launcher issue you just need to run KSP, then the launcher will work normally.

I've asked a few owners of the SpaceNavigator to have a look at your 6-DOF issue as I don't have one, and it seems it really is broken, they report that it is still possible to edit the settings.cfg directly to change the bindings which you can use as a workaround until this is fixed on Squads end.

So I'll reopen your bug reports now we know what's going on, it's extra info like this that can make all the difference as it helps make the developers jobs a lot easier.

Specifically about the bug with 6DOF key assignments (issue #13208), if wanting to edit those assignments manually, find the sections named "TOGGLE_SPACENAV_FLIGHT_CONTROL" and "TOGGLE_SPACENAV_ROLL_LOCK" in the settings.cfg. Primary and secondary lines with those sections hold the current key assignment and can be changed to any valid key Unity recognizes.

• 3 years later...

I know this topic is very old, but this bug still persists in version 1.81, this is very annoying as a 6-DOF is the PERFECT tool for EVA in orbit.

And while on the subject, what does TOGGLE_SPACENAV_ROLL_LOCK actually do?  I have edited my settings.cfg but cannot see any difference when toggling this item.

• 11 months later...

Another "this topic is very old" post but I think its better to keep this information contained in one post because I feel that not many people are affected by this issue or typically use 3D mice for KSP (but they should it mimics real life translation controls in spacecraft for RCS controls for docking). This issue is still present in the most recent update.

Also, I find that the settings for 6DOF controllers are rather lacking. One request I have for the devs to look into is allowing us to configure the axis for controls. For example switching which axis controls rotation/translation. As well as disabling certain axis all together. My preferred use case is to disable the pitch and yaw (possibly roll too) and only use translation controls for RCS manuvers. However, I would still like to use the full 6DOF when using camera mode. The only workaround I have currently is to disable p/y/r in the 3Dconnecxion settings for "KSP_64.exe" completely, which does not allow me to use those rotational controls for camera mode.

Again sorry for somewhat necro hope you understand given the circumstances.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.