is opengl still supported?

hello there

Pardon the noob question, but I used to play KSP 1.0.5 with opengl because it was so much faster and used less ram, when moded with EVE.

Indeed the rendering is slightly not as good as with directx but honestly, for a 20% FPS boost I wouldn't care less.

Now I switched to 1.2.1 and thanks to my G15 keyboard, I can monitor in real time the RAM and CPU while loading and playing.

1) opengl is definitely 2 times faster for loading, and my i3770 peaks at 80% whereas it is stuck at 34% with directX. Any idea why? The HDD is not the issue as I launch KSP from a RAM drive.

2) I have some strange artifacts with EVE + scatterer with opengl, and I wonder if it's the mod's problem, or KSP support for opengl. Any idea before I try to post in the EVE post section?

thanks for any clue :)

I saw your post in the other thread about the visual artifacts, and your screenshot looks similar to artifacts that I sometimes see around the launchpad and in the VAB/SPH, even without EVE.  The artifacting is new in 1.2 and I suspect it's just a bug in the game.  (I don't know whether your problem is actually the same one, though.)

Anyway, yes, OpenGL is still supported.  Remember that DirectX is specific to Windows, and KSP also runs on Mac and Linux, which only have OpenGL.

@Wyzard is right. Plus: OpenGL or DirectX support also has to do with graphics card and its driver/kext. Older graphics cards support only older DirectX/OpenGL versions. Make sure your graphics card and the graphic driver are updated to most recent versions, so both options should be fine (either DirectX or OpenGL). 

OpenGL is only supported on OSX and Linux, not on Windows which only has DirectX 9 support at this time.

However, Unity can be forced to use OpenGL or DirectX 11, if this works for you then great, but you use them at your own risk.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.