Kerbodyne Planet Hopper: Grand Tour in one launch

Wanderfound

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, sardia said:

I'm gonna try to recreate this with mods to ease the flight along. Been looking for an example for ages. 

Possible tweaks:

* The limiting factor in mining was the drills. More drills would have been good.

* Add a Vernor either side of the cockpit if you're worried about reentry yaw stability; it took a bit of active piloting in high-speed high-AoA high-atmosphere conditions.

* Note how thin the fuel margins are on landing. Get good at efficient no-atmosphere intercept, capture and landing on the nuke.

* Keep the airbrakes retracted on interplanetary aerocaptures. They don't have the heat tolerance required.

* The kneeling gear is cosmetic, it isn't actually required.

* A recoverable microsat with an orbital scanner and comms relay would be a nice addition. Ditto for a materials bay. Stretch the cargo bay a smidge and you'll have room.

* With a probe core in the cargo bay, you can crew it with an engineer (to repack the drag chutes) and a scientist (to reset the experiments).

* Dump the docking port and RCS if you're confident. :wink:

Edited by Wanderfound

Pol and Eeloo:

NaPQogs.png

OenIk4i.png

6DbgkPD.png

Album at http://imgur.com/gallery/XupW9

Y'all going to be horribly disappointed if I skip the inner planets? There's not much to do at Eve, and I don't think I have enough dV for Moho unless I hook a big LF droptank onto the docking port.

Edited by Wanderfound

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.