The science behind Jool''s atmosphere layers

cratercracker

Jool has the thickest atmospheres of all planets in Kerbol system.

All atmospheres of gas giants are unique and may contain different elements.

Such difference is very important ,when materials condensate into clouds! It makes material sepperated into different layers!

Lets take a look at Layers of Jool's atmopshere-

QmGWSNN.png

(not to scale)(i know my drawings is awful, but what can u do with touchpad and paint!)

First, ionized layer is always interacting with light and radiation! It makes it look different from most of the atmospheric layers.It glowes purple during the twilight and sunshine.

Then we have main layer, It the layer we use to aerobrake at and it is also the most visible one!

Next is dynamic layer! it is also the first part of hot atmopshere. It is called so due to extreme temperatures that this part of the atmosphere contains. We can see how it moves acros Jool! It is also responsible for different streams(lines) of Joolian atmosphere.

Next is first cloud layer! It is where gas condence into clouds. Soon these clouds will produce powerful thunderbolts that cross all the atmospheric layers below.This is also a place where powerful storms appear.

Second cloud layer is not such a difference with the first layer. Except the density,it is much higher than in the first cloud layer.

And the last part is a theoretical layer made of liquid hydrogen. It could be a result of hydrogen under extreme pressure and heat, nor some kind of  different chemical reaction.

Appearently Jool's atmosphere is made of 3 main components!(despite a lot more different materials, they are the most)

Hydrogen,Helium and Chlorine(which makes the atmosphere look green)

Phew!I hope you liked this topic!

Though it involves science, it is a theory related to KSP so it belongs in KSP discussion thread!

And again i am asking you to mark my mistakes, if i have some! It is just a theory!A KSP theory! 

1 minute ago, The Dunatian said:

Has anyone sent a probe as far into jool as possible? Maybe the science report would reveal something. I don't think jool has a liquid hydrogen ocean though.

take a look at Jupiter's atmopshere layer(internal structure) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jupiter

And,no science instruments say only how pressure is crushing them...

1 minute ago, The Dunatian said:

Most of the planets in KSP are similar to RL planets but no identical. Just because Jupiter might have a liquid hydrogen ocean doesn't mean Jool does.

It is similar for all gas giants to have liquid hydrogen somewhere! But maybe Jool doesn't

and that is why i stated that it is theoretical!

13 hours ago, The Dunatian said:

Has anyone sent a probe as far into jool as possible? Maybe the science report would reveal something. I don't think jool has a liquid hydrogen ocean though.

Zero altitude on Jool (the point where spacecraft get destroyed if they go below it) is probably far above where a metallic liquid hydrogen ocean would exist on a real gas planet. The pressure at that altitude is not high enough for metallic hydrogen to be created.

24 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

Zero altitude on Jool (the point where spacecraft get destroyed if they go below it) is probably far above where a metallic liquid hydrogen ocean would exist on a real gas planet. The pressure at that altitude is not high enough for metallic hydrogen to be created.

I think 0 altitude is where first cloud layer ends, it is also a part of hot atmosphere.It is where space craft are destroyed by pressure and heat.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.